It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

elizabeth101 HB User
egg allergy and daycare

My 4 year old daughter has been diagnosed with Anaphlaxis to egg any form of egg whether cooked in foods or alone. She reacted to her M.M.R shot just 3 weeks ago at her allergists office. I have told daycare after daycare about this allergy each daycare after I have given them a list of what could contain egg in it they seem to still give her egg containing foods. She has been addmitted to the hospital 3 times due to the daycare centers. And one for her M.M.R reaction any idea's on how to go about this I have to work yet I can not have my daugjhter in the hospital every other weeks either

help!

Old 12-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: egg allergy and daycare

You need to pack her own food, and instruct them not to give her any food but what you give them to feed her each morning. That's the only way. People who don't have food allergies just don't get it, and forget about all the foods, like cookies that contain eggs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

elizabeth101 HB User

thanks but you know the daycare will not allow me to bring in the food each day. The problem is not the food they serve it is the food that the other kids bring in as they arrive. The teachers don't watch for this and my daughter picked up a cookie off the floor and 10 minutes later...EMS 911 the whole works and 2 days in the hospital... I can't get them to understand how serious this allergy really is even after the whole 911 thing... and it seems as if no daycare seems to understand yet the child that has a nut allergy seems to be watched like a hawk. People don't think egg allergies are seriuos like peanut because people don't hear about people dieing from a egg allergy like nut allergies I am so frusterated!!!!!

Old 12-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
(female)

Skylar_ HB User

Elizabeth,

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but what if you start looking for a new daycare or even an individual who just keeps a few kids at their house that might be able to provide more individualized attention. I would interview the daycares alerting them to your previous experiences with 911 & the ER. Get them to sign in writing that they understand the severity of the problem.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: egg allergy and daycare-Long Response

I run an early childhood program that serves breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. I can share some of what we do and hopefully offer some advice about finding a good place to take your child.

Here is what I do. Children are not allowed to bring any outside food (or toys) into the facilities. This rule if for the children's safety as well as for the classroom management. All parents are informed of this before they begin school and it is strictly enforced. We always ask the parents during the registration process and during an initial home visit about any allergy or health problems the children have. (You would be surprised how many parents "forget" to tell us about dangerous conditions.) If a parent identifies an an allergy, we immediately ask the parent to provide us with documentation from a health professional. That official information is used to create a health plan and/or nutrition plan with the parent to accommodate the child's needs. If it is a life threatening condition, we hang 8 1/2 x 11 florescent red signs in key places in the facility warning that there is a child in the class with ____ condition. We use this most frequently for asthma, but severe allergies are also posted (not the child's name-we do follow HIPPA). All staff who are in that class or who interact with that child are then trained by a health professional we contract with to write the appropriate health plan. If there is a sub in the class on any day, the health person is contacted to come to the class to train that person also. Also, a contracted nutritionist and kitchen make sure all appropriate accommodations are made for the food that is prepared and all precautions are taken in serving the food. In severe cases, we may offer the parent the option to provide the food if they choose. That is up to the parent as part of the health plan.

My best advice to you is to make sure you ensure the child care you use is state licensed. Both centers and family child care programs licensed. When you register your child, ask what the child to caregiver ratio is. I have visited many programs in the past who didn't follow the regulated ratios. When they have too many children, they can't appropriately keep an eye on all children. Make sure all providers caring for your child are current with their food handler's permits, first aid training and CPR training. Also ask to see copies of the menus they use so you can get an idea of the food they serve. To find a licensed child care in your center you can try your local Child Care Resource and Referral agency. They are located in all 50 states. They are operated with federal grants and don't recommend specific centers, but they can give you a list of all state licensed programs in your area and what their rates are. Many states also have rating systems that have strict guidelines to regulate the level of quality for that center. Look for you state child care bureau and inquire if your state has something in place. This might help you find somewhere comfortable to take your child. It sounds like a family childcare may be a good option. Most of these programs usually have only 4-8 children depending on their age.

As for the centers where you had problems, did you call state licensing to inform them of the incident? There is a requirement for programs to report any emergency incidents to the state immediately so it can be investigated.

I hope I have given you some new things to think about. There is NOTHING more important than the safety of a child. And I am truly touched that you are willing to fight for your child's needs. I don't see that happen very often.

Let me know if you have any further questions in this area.

Good luck finding a solution for your care.

Last edited by MountainReader; 12-15-2006 at 09:36 PM.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I'm confused. They don't let you bring in food, but other kids are bringing in food? It sounds like they need to enforce their own policy and allow NO outside food at all.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
(female)

npainnTN HB User

My mom used to work in a "hospital daycare" *(for employees of the hospital) She said the same as MountainReader about making a health care plan. They had a little boy who has somthing wrong I can't remember the name of the condition, but they had strict guidlines of what to do. His problem also caused exzema (SP) so they had ointments they had to apply a certain way. This is no different than food allergies. This boy also had trouble being outside and the daycare had to make special arrangement to have shade in the play area, they had to take water out with them, and they had to do clothing changes before and after.

The point to the long drawn out story is daycares will follow parent instructions if its a good licensed daycare. I would also talk to the person in charge of the "whole daycare" there is no excuse for daycares allowing egg near a child who can have an anaphylactic reaction. That is a liability if they do. Anyway I would do a through interview with the staff and other parents of the daycares. Parents can often times give you a better feel for the daycare. You could also schedule a "teaching time" with the staff the educate them on the problem/causes/reactions.

Good luck
jenn

ps you can go to your local health department website and they have daycare listing as well as ratings and licensing issues.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
(female)

elizabeth101 HB User
Re: egg allergy and daycare-Long Response

Thank you everyone for your help on this. I have been so frusterated with my daughters allergies and people not understanding the danger it is to her life. You all have given me some things to think about to help my daughter and myself THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
(female)

mygirlsallergy HB User

Your Daughter should have a folder from her allergist containing her allergies and she should have what they called an emergency plan. She should wear an alert bracelet or necklace. Also you should beware that the flu shot also contains something with egg so thats why my girls can't have those shots either, without the shot to counteract the first. You can also call CPS(child portection services within your state on the daycare/s whom have show neglect.

Closed Thread