Hi I am a 41 year old male who previously had never had any problems taking asprin. Today I finally narrowed down causes and found that I am having an allergic reaction to my big bottle of asprin.
My symptoms start about an hour or so after taking the asprin. First I get a numb either left of right side of my upper lip. Then that side swells up and feels like I have novacaine shot into it. Then it spreads to the other half of my upper lip. Eventually it reaches my lower lip and swells there as well. By that time my lower cheeks and lower part of my nose feel numb like the novacaine as well. Really weird. I end up looking like a Simpson's character for about 3-4 hours with the huge lips, they eaisly swell to 2 to 3 times their normal size then it subsides. No other symptoms either.
Is it possible I am just having a reaction to something in this particular brand of asprin? I haven't tested it yet.
Is it possible to suddenly become allergic to asprin when you never had a problem in the past. It's not like I am taking a large amount just two asprin, normal size.
Any help/advice on this matter would be great. Thanks
Yes, it is possible. As a matter of fact, that's pretty much how allergies work, you build up to them and then all of a sudden BAM! you're allergic. While it may be an ingredient of the aspirin you are taking, I'd think that the aspirin itself is a far more likely culprit.
You can go to a doctor and have this confirmed, of course, but in the meantime I'd stay away from products that contain aspirin.
Last edited by dustoffkid; 12-28-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Since you are not certain if you have an aspirin allergy, let me clarify....
Allergies are cumulative. That means they build up over time. This means that if you do have an aspirin allergy and you take aspirin again, the reaction will likely be worse than the last time. Maybe even anaphylaxis. Read as: possibly fatal.
I urge you to consult your doctor before experimenting with aspirin. Just because it is an over the counter drug doesn't mean it's safe to mess around with.
Aspirin can cause angioedema which is what you are discribing. The next reaction can be worse and cause throat swelling. Doctors don't like to call it an aspirin allergy, they call it a sensitivity, but I have the same symptoms with it as you and I also developed reactions to non steroidal meds and yellow dye #5.
Anyone can become allergic to anything at any time and it isn't anything to fool around with. The reactions become progressively worse. I ended up in a hospital for several days and on prednisone for over a month.
I have a history of chronic hives.. i get the lip swelling like you discribe... aspririn is one of the first things the allergist told me to eliminate as its a common thing that gives hives / angiodima reactions in people. not neccessarily a true allergy but it causes a histamine reaction. I can't take nsaids.. such as advil either because they are aspirin dirivitives.
hi as all have said allergies can happen at any time. my husband had a reaction to ibuprofen once years ago. vomited, thought he was going to pass out, headache, dizziness. After having surgery a couple of years ago even though it was on his chart and he had an alergy alert bracelet on a nurse shot him with toradol (spelling??) well low and behold he wen into anaphylaxis immediately and almost died. thank God he was in ICU at the time or he might have. He needs to stay away from all NSAIDS because from what we have been told once anaphylaxis happens the next time you have less time to come out of it.
Exactly the same thing happened to me about 6 years ago.
3 years ago I was diagnosed as having a serious allergy to salicylates.
If you go to [url]http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietitian/fi/sal.html[/url] you will find a list of foods which contain salicylates,you may feel better if you can avoid the ones with the highest concentrations.
Me too!!! Suddenly allergic to aspirin. Horrible disturbing symptoms! My General doc missed it. Had to go to allergist who took one look at me and said DRUG ALLERGY! No warning after 46 years, bummer! But at least I know what it is now!
Same story with me. Six years ago to one day to another I got allergy. After years of stereoids and anihistamins(which I became more sick) I tryed alternative medicines, acupuncture, acupressure ou name it I done it. I tought its no help, my energi was under and below, and I can not afford sickdays because I am a mother of three. Finally 2 month ago I got something which looks like working. Since 6 weeks or so I have no headache, runny nose,itchy eye,and my energi up the sky. It is from the amazon rainforrest called acai berry juice blend. It took six years of my life this allergy now I feel hope that I will leave with out allergy. In my experience, and not just here at US, because I am Europien, and I was backthere too, for a treatment(not helped), we getting away from natural healing. Today bussines is organic food. Well, how do I know, if its really organic. One thing is sure, nothing is sure.Well I just try to help, because I know I had been trough a lot, and very little help outhere.