It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

Troi1234 HB User
Red around mouth...

A few months ago I started getting really bad chapped lips. Then I started getting a red ring around my lips mostly on one side, top and bottom. I figured I was unconsciously licking my lips from them being so chapped, although I never had a serious problem with licking my lips before. When it persisted for for a few weeks and showed no signs of improvement I went to my dermatologist who prescribed me Pandel. This did not work n the red around my mouth continued to be dry itchy and flakey. I went back to the dermatologist who then prescribed me Oxistat and Cloderm. These helped lessen the redness and I thought it was going away but it came back a few days later. After another visit to the doctor she took my off the Oxistat and said to continue the Cloderm. She also gave me a patch test to see what I was allergic to and we found that I am allergic to Imidazolidinyl Urea and Epoxy Resin. Now that I have become a label reader for pretty much everything I buy I figured it would clear up but still no improvement. It actually gets better and worse by the the day but never fully goes away. One day it will just a light red mark then another day it can be peeling which causes my lips to really hurt from the cracking and the skin coming off, then other days it gets inflamed and looks just horrible. After yet another visit to the dermatologist she said their was nothing she could do because it is an allergy and to just continue with the cloderm and wait for it to clear up.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be because it is just rediculous and embarrassing to live like this. I need help!! My dermatologist just doesnt seem to be helping me and Im afraid my lips are going to be like this forever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
(female)

tortor44 HB User
Re: Red around mouth...

I have had the exact same thing and it has been going on for about 2 and a half months now. I've been to two dermatologists and I am on all these creams and cortizones and no one seems to know exactly what it is. I have been searching online forever and found a few people who seem to have the same symptoms as me, but yours match exactly, and everyone seems to be confused on what exactly is causing this. My dermatologist told me it was lip licking but it is kind of far down from my lips so i cant understand how that could be possible, and I honestly dont think i lick my lips. Please let me know if you find out anything because Im embaressed to have this. Thanks so much and Im happy im not the only one.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User
Re: Red around mouth...

I had the same thing! I actually bought an over the counter fungal cream and it was gone in a week, and I had had it for over three months! I later found out it was an uncommon strain of ringworm, which suprised me bc it wasnt a raised circle.

Closed Thread