I seem to have an allergy to tequila of all things. This weekend I had had a few frozen margaritas and after a while my throat starting closing up, and I had to take my asthma inhalers to prevent an asthma attack. i am still unwell two days later.
I don't really drink tequila that much but after this happened I remembered an occasion last summer when I was doing tequilla shots and I developed a rash on my face and body and had an asthma attack, I didn't conenct the two things back then but presume an allergic to somethign in tequila must be the only answer.
This seems odd as tequilla is often the only alcohol people with severe wheat intolarance can drink.
Has anyone else had this rection to tequilla? I don't sem to be allergic to any other alcohol.
I used to drink a lot when I was younger (okay...underage) without a problem. I hadn't had much more than a sip of wine for almost three years until last year. (I tested positive for a citrus food allergy and then negative a month later. It turns out you can get false positives, so the verdict is I'm not allergic to citrus.) ANYWAY, I AM orally allergic to citrus (makes my mouth itch) but ordered a lime margarita anyway. I took 1 sip. All of a sudden all the muscles in my body hurt and got very hot. My stomach hurt so bad I thought I was going to die. I started to sweat. After about a half hour I felt better, but I have never touched a margarita since. Since I know it's not the lime, I figured I was just crazy. Until I saw your post. Let me know if you find anything out!!!
I have bad allergies to hard liquor and I am finding out that tequila is probably the worst of them. Last night had two small shots, and they were small. After first one, eyes were glazed and blood shot (I had only one beer before the shot and beer never does that to me). When I looked in mirror, I had a slight rash on my chest. After second shot, my heart was palpitating so bad I thought it was going to explode and my fingers swoll up and I couldn't bend them. My eyes went from being red and glassy to the color of my red razor phone (Personally, I thought I looked very much like a ******* from one of those horror movies) So needless to say I did not finish my second beer and I was done for the night. My fingers are still swollen and hurt when I bend them and it is 12 hours later. Literally that was my alcohol intake for the night 1 1/2 beers and 2 tequila shots.
I have researched it on different sites and this one other site talks quite extensively about asian flushing syndrome i think it's called. Very interesting. But essentially breaks down to many people who are asian anywhere between 50% to 60% of people with asian blood in them react strongly to alcohol. This feature is actually what they think prevents high rates of alcoholism in asians. But there were some people who stated they weren't asian but had B type blood which is a common feature of asians, so could it possibly be that? Anyway, if you research it more you will be enlightened. I sure was.
I can drink anything but tequila. If I have one shot of even the most expensive stuff, I will be in bed for a minimum of 2 days. It's not a medical study, just my personal experience. When I say I can drink anything, it includes Pisco from Chile, Guaro in Costa Rica, Snake liquor from China (grain alcohol with a snake marinating in it), thousands of beers including Cave Creek Chili Beer (beer with an actual sorento pepper in it), and virually all other wiskeys, gins, scotch, vodkas, and cordials you can think of. Tequila is something I can not drink due to an allergy.
I've been wondering that myself. A few nights back, I tried tequila for the first time. My hands started to swell a bit, but I considered that normal, since I'd also drank some flavored beer, which contains sulfates, and I've got a slight allergy to sulfa, but it's never caused much of a problem.
But, the next morning I woke up and could barely see my eyes were so swollen, my cheeks were the size of softballs and my lips felt huge. I didn't do anything different that night except the tequila. No new medications, foods, drinks, anything. So my conclusion was that it must have been tequila, the impurities in it, or something. Now that I found this board, this makes me much more confident in my resolution not to drink tequila again for a long long time.
By the way, Benadryl made the swelling go down considerably within two hours, completely within four.
I did quite a bit of research on this and there is something called Asian Flush. It appears in my case that tequila, rum, and most hard liquors do it to me. Beer and liquores like baileys do not affect me to this degree. I have decided it is just better to not drink that much at all. Standing joke is that A.A. has no worries about me joining them anytime soon.
tequila is the only alcohol I consume with any regularity. I additionally drink red wine or beer on infrequent occasions. However, a year ago I was experiencing severe arthritic conditions and symptoms in both my hands, as well as hyper sensitive eyes to wind and light and puffy cheeks the following morning. We consume high quality tequila, mixed only with Cointreau and fresh hand squeezed lime juice and a splash of pellegrino mineral water. My friend also has a reaction to more than two drinks of tequila now: he breaks out in what appears to be a blotchy heat rash all over his body. He too has found that an allergy pill will help his reaction subdue. Clearly this in both counts is some kind of allergy to tequila, and as some of you have said, I too am very happy to hear that there are others who have had similar if not exact experiences! cheers
Whenever I drink a Margarita, after a few sips, the muscles in my shoulders, neck, and arms begin to ache. It really is quite painful. I also get a little short of breath. I have the pain for 20 minutes. I am wondering what is in a margarita that would cause this reaction.
I'm not a heavy drinker, but I can handle up to 5 mixed drinks on a given night, without any major problems, and although I prefer to stay away from shots, I am able to do a couple without doing any major damage also. However, when it comes to tequila, I'm finding out it's quite a different experience. The first time I drank tequila was about 6 years ago, and it was so bad that I have stayed away from it since, except for the usual margarita, where I see no effects. Last night I had three mixed drinks (vodka/cranberry) and a shot of tequila (supposedly a high quality brand) over a period of two hours. The shot was significantly larger than average, perhaps about 1 1/2 shot size or closer to two. About a half hour after consuming the shot, I was incredibly sick, vomiting incessantly, and feeling as sick to my stomach as if I had been doing shots all night long. In addition to the vomiting, which went on for a couple of hours, I also had several bowel movements, which continued on to the next day. Needless to say, I woke up feeling quite sick and remained so for the rest of the day, not being able to consume any food until very late in the day. The first time I had the bad experience, 6 years ago, I attributed the reaction to the fact that I had been drinking more than the norm and had for the first time eaten a certain food which was new to me, and so I assumed it was just a bad combination. But after last night, I'm a little concerned and anxious to find out whether there is some kind of reaction my body has specifically to tequila. It's quite baffling that one shot could make me so sick...In any case, and until I find out more information, I think I'm staying away from tequila!