It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

Skylar_ HB User
Muscle Testing & food allergies?? Is this for real??

I've suffered since 2005 with severe acid reflux, general fatigue, joint aches, mental fog, and general feeling blah. I've seen multiple docs (including allergist who said I am allergic to molds but not foods according to scratch tests). I've taken acid reflux medication without relief.

In desperation I saw a chiropracter who used applied kinesiology to "diagnose" me through muscle testing with food allergies. He makes a big deal to say they are allergies, not intolerances and that I must completely eliminate wheat, dairy and soy from my diet for life. He thinks these allergies are the cause of all my symptoms. I've given this strict diet a go for the last 3 months and do not notice much difference other than the loss of ~15 pounds.

Does anyone have more information/experience with muscle testing and food allergies? Is it for real??? Thanks!!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Muscle Testing & food allergies?? Is this for real??

A true allergy to food means that if you were actually allergic to a piece of food you would die if you didn't get to a hospital in time. Most people have food intolerences. What are your reactions to those foods? Do you just get hives or redness or do you have trouble breathing? I have GERD and I have the same symptoms you mentioned. I'm doing well now. At first I was taking digestive enzymes and chlorophyll and it did help for a while. It wasn't enough though. I started taking zinc and that's totally helped. I guess I had a zinc deficiency. I don't want to take too much zinc so I only take it after my first 2 meals of the day. After that I take apple cider vinegar pills. I feel great now.

Last edited by Alagaesia; 04-29-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alagaesia View Post
A true allergy to food means that if you were actually allergic to a piece of food you would die if you didn't get to a hospital in time.
I would disagree with this. I think an allergist would say you have an allergy if you have IgE antibodies for the allergen. My daughter had IgG antibodies for food so the allergist said that it wasn't an allergy but I had to stick her with an epipen once anyway! I would think that the IgG reactions are just an immune reaction. The IgE are the classic allergy antibodies.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Dito Sannah.

You can have an allergy that has not manifested to leathal reactions yet.. An allergy is a immunological response from your body which results in your body producing histamines in response to exposure to said allergen. This can also occur when exposed to some irritants and pollutants if ones system is sensitive enough. In most cases people with allergies live in a hyperactive immunological state and must take anti-histamines to prevent/minimize allergic flare ups and reactions.

Death is not the only allergic side effects.. rashes, asthma, skin irritation and dryness, mouth ulcers, running noses, sore throats, swollen lymph nodes and many other sysmptoms can signify allergies... Also many small allergic responses to the exposure to too many allergens can aggrevate the whole system into an immunological overdrive state that can only be reset by application of steriods for a period of time. These are also referred to as auto-immune disease responses.

With regard to muscle testing.. never heard of it.. I have heard of and done.. the scratch testing, blood testing, and prolonged skin contact testing for allergies. Each allows for differest aspects to be evaluated.

Wheat and lactose are common allergens in many people. It is also proven that you may have a food allergy and not test positive for it unless you ingest it. My food allergies are that way.. only my yeast, wheat, and iodine showed up by normal studies.. I had to orally expose my self and monitor the histamine response after oral indegestion to confirm.. the strawberry, muchroom, coconut/oil/acid and a few other nuts. The reaction was quite dramatic and undeniable.

Trust your gut.. and if you are not on an anti-histamine.. go for OTC Clartin if you MD won't right you a script for something like Zyrtec/Allegra.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

Skylar_ HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I have had scratch testing and showed no food allergies. I do not have any symptoms that I know of after consuming wheat, dairy or soy, thus it was a complete surprise to me when the chiropracter/kinesiologist said my "food allergies" were wreaking havoc on my system and causing the acid reflux. He said I needed to stop eating these items for life and that I could have "leaky gut syndrome", which allows food proteins that my body can't digest to "leak" into my blood stream and cause an allergy. He said if I did not stop consuming these items that my immune system would crash and I'd develop an autoimmune disorder such as Lupus.

This all sounded a bit fishy to me, but I'd like to hear the opinions of others....

Old 05-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
(female)

Skylar_ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alagaesia View Post
A true allergy to food means that if you were actually allergic to a piece of food you would die if you didn't get to a hospital in time. Most people have food intolerences. What are your reactions to those foods? Do you just get hives or redness or do you have trouble breathing? I have GERD and I have the same symptoms you mentioned. I'm doing well now. At first I was taking digestive enzymes and chlorophyll and it did help for a while. It wasn't enough though. I started taking zinc and that's totally helped. I guess I had a zinc deficiency. I don't want to take too much zinc so I only take it after my first 2 meals of the day. After that I take apple cider vinegar pills. I feel great now.
Can you tell me the amounts you use of zinc & apple cider pills? Brands? Also, how did you know you had too little stomach acid as opposed to too much? I tried PPIs without any relief. My symtoms are not hearburn, but larynoesoph reflux (lump in throat, sore throat, etc.). Thanks!!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar_ View Post
Can you tell me the amounts you use of zinc & apple cider pills? Brands? Also, how did you know you had too little stomach acid as opposed to too much? I tried PPIs without any relief. My symtoms are not hearburn, but larynoesoph reflux (lump in throat, sore throat, etc.). Thanks!!
I take two 10 MG tablets of zinc after my first two meals. I read you shouldn't take more than that. I use nature's plus. I paid a little over $4 for the bottle and there's 90 pills in it. For the apple cider vinegar I use the vitamin shoppe brand. Again I think I paid a little over $4 for the bottle and there's 100 pills in there. I take one pill after my third meal of the day and also if I eat any snacks. Sometimes I have to take 2 pills but usually its just one. There are sooo many brands to choose from.

I used to take prevacid. My doc said I would probably take it for life. I decided to try going natural instead. Besides the prevacid wasn't working that well anyways and I had tried a bunch of other drugs as well. I used to feel horrible. I didn't really get heartburn that much either. My symptoms felt like allergies. I had the lump in the throat and what felt like swelling in my throat. I also had ear pressure and it always felt like I had to blow my nose but nothing was there. Like I said before I tried digestive enzymes and chlorophyll for a while. It did help a lot but not 100%. I continued to take chlorophyll anyways cause my allergy medicine made me have to go to the bathroom at night constantly, and that was the only thing that made it stop. I tried the zinc actually for an entirely different reason and discovered that if I took it after a meal then my GERD symptoms would disappear within a few minutes of taking it. I knew right away that my supplements worked because my symptoms always go away within 10-15 minutes of taking them. I feel better than ever!!!! The only thing that bothers me though is when I have a neck ache. For some reason if my neck/shoulders hurt then I get a acid reflux feeling as well as a sore throat feeling which is really weird.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
(female)

Skylar_ HB User

Thank you-this has been really helpful!! I've been taking digestive enzymes for about a year now and they do more than Prevacid/Nexium/etc. ever did. I will try adding the zinc & apple cider vinager pills, I didn't know those even existed. Have you ever had an endoscopy? I had one and had "slight irritation in the esoph."-I wonder if too little acid can cause that? Mine is like yours, lump in throat, throat clearing, sore throat, not heartburn. Thanks, Skylar

Old 05-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Yeah I had an upper endoscopy done. My doc said he didn't see anything. I noticed that I started having allergy problems as well as digestive problems shortly after I got braces. I got braces back in 2003. I wonder if maybe swallowing the latex from the rubber bands did something, or maybe I got some sort of poisoning from all the metal.

Closed Thread