It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
(female)

Marie78 HB User
Question Poison ivy shot?

Okay, so unfortunately with all this beautiful weather, the weeds are growing again...and that means poison ivy for me and my youngest son. My husband and oldest son are not at all allergic to it, but my youngest and I are a different story.

I have gotten poison ivy from the wind blowing it in my direction, from the coat of the dog, and from just being in the general vacinity of it. My son and I pass it back and forth all summer long, and always one of us has it pretty good. I usually get it around my face because my son (who is 6) tends to be in my face more. He tends to get it in really terrible places too, well..because he is 6....and he usually gets it on his bottom or other areas that are just bad.

As I write this, I have some breakouts on my fingers and eyes and face....so it's only a matter of time before my son and I are in full swing fighting the poison ivy.

Calamine is our best friend. I usually have several bottles as back up....we go through it like there is no tomorrow.

And after all that....my question. Every year, at least once, usually twice, we end up in the doc's office with this because at some point it gets out of hand and we need a prescription. Every year I ask for the shot to help get the rash gone away quicker. The prescription never really seems to help. Or it takes so long that it gets worse before it gets better, and IMO what ends up clearing it up is the Calamine.

Is there a reason that a doc would be leary to give a 6 yr. old 45lb child the shot? Especially for him...I would like it to start clearing up as fast as possible.

For some reason the doc's I have seen are all very hesitant to give the shot when we come in because we are not horribly covered in rash. But I know that it's only a matter of tiem, and I am trying to nip it in the bud.

I need some info so that when we are back in the doc office this summer I can either know why they dont want to give the shot, or reasons that they should give it to us.

Thanks for reading my book!

The Following User Says Thank You to Marie78 For This Useful Post:
tlbluesman (03-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Poison ivy shot?

Cortisone shots are problematic. They raise your blood pressure for one thing. It also shuts down your immune system so that other infections are easier to get. This is not something you should be doing as a matter of course. And a bout with poison ivy should only last a few days..if you are breaking the blisters. Do you do that? Or do you try not to? They will dry up faster if you do that.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
(female)

Marie78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Cortisone shots are problematic. They raise your blood pressure for one thing. It also shuts down your immune system so that other infections are easier to get. This is not something you should be doing as a matter of course. And a bout with poison ivy should only last a few days..if you are breaking the blisters. Do you do that? Or do you try not to? They will dry up faster if you do that.

Thanks for the reply....it's not necessarily something I wish to do on a regular basis...but when my son or I get poision ivy it spreads fast. And breaking the blisters is almost impossible...there are large areas that are affected....and with a small child, breaking the blisters and trying to wash them out would cause some serious problems. And for example, the rash on my eye is tiny little blisters...so small you cant really make out just one...and it happens to be on the corners of my eyelids...I would prefer to not try to break them. They are very small like sandpaper texture.

Trust me...we have dealt with our fair share of poison ivy, and it by no means does it last only a few days with us. Its a major reaction and spreads over large areas of skin in a short time. Lots of people I know will get a little rash and it will be gone within a week...but its not the same for everyone....I was not exaggerating when I said that i have gotten it from being carried in the wind (sort of like pollen I suppose).

But I will do some more research on the cortisone shot....thank you for giving me some of the side effects. So far the doctor has only been willing to say that she does not 'want' to give the shot. And I was not really aware what specific shot it was.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
(male)

Pillbox HB User
Wink Re: Poison ivy shot?

I feel your pain! It seems I can look at poison ivy,sumac or oak and catch it. I'm 24 and every summer I battle it out. I have been in the hospital 3 times over it and it almost killed me once, it got into my blood stream and my whole body swelled and started to shut down Some people say just don't scratch it or only rub it not knowing the real effects of this poison! If it spreads on you really quickly don't hesitate going and get a corti shot or any shot you can. I would rather have a little bit of high blood pressure rather than being swelled like a pumpkin and not being able to do anything for about 3 or 4 weeks. The best advice I can give you is to stay out of the woods and always be aware of the plant life around you. I've gotten it a few times and never knew where it came from Maybe contaminated clothing or animals as stated. Don't be afraid to pop the blisters too just make sure the juice doesn't get on anything. Also atop from people calling me and idiot or moron I have found that a nice array of chemicals can work wonders on the beast. Bleach, any kind of drying agents, salt, oatmeal baths (cleanse the skin),diesel fuel, shoe polish and many others. Alot of people laugh at what I put on mine but I have been at it with the beast going on 25 years, I know a lot of things that work and I'm always trying new things Good luck battleing the beast

Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
(female)

patt1836 HB User

i have had poison ivy for 2 months now, i have tried topical cream, steriod pills and now i just got the steriod shot a couple days ago. i am still not showing any relief. how long does the shot take to start working? do i need to go back for another one? can i use topical cream along with the shot? some one please help me.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It can take several days. No, you should not have another one this soon. Yes, you can use calamine lotion with it. All that being said, have you popped the blisters? That is the way it heals. Very surprising that it is lasting this long. I would investigate other causes as this is very rare if you are not being re-exposed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
tlbluesman (03-17-2012)
Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

I apparently have poison ivy inside my body, it oozes out in various locations (always the nape of my neck, just in my hairline), under my armpits and behind my knees, and where my belt goes.

I found a product called Zanfel a couple of years ago. It looks like a small tube of toothpaste, you dilute it down until it looks like a lotion, and use it like soap. It washes off the poison ivy oil, sometimes in seconds. For me it keeps the itching at bay about 5-6 hours before the oil oozes out of my body again, but it works great. Expensive as heck at regular drugstores, but you can get it much cheaper at Sams. I wouldn't recommend the knock-offs.

Closed Thread