It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
(female)

froggyfog HB User
Question Food Allergies- Help Please...

Hi, I am 42 yrs old and have had a chronic sore throat for years & years. I started having stomach problems when eating ice cream so I went to an allergist. He did the test where they look at all kinds of food, fragrance etc by needle sticks on my back.

Allergy consist of: SOY(which is in everything), EGGS, CHICKEN, STRAWBERRYS,CARROTS, MUSTARD.......I can't think of everything right now

Plus some non food allergies-dust mites, fragrances.

So now the problem....I am having SO MUCH trouble finding food I can eat. I have fibromyalgia and preparing food is a challenge....I have never liked cooking and my husband has always been the cook of the family. He is now being tested for MS and has a new business so I hate to burden him.

It seems all prepared food is out of the question because of the soy,leuctin(sp)...you would be amazed at how it is in EVERYTHING.

Lettuce upsets my stomach as well as milk...even though I wasn't allergic to milk.

To make things more complicated I don't eat meat/fish.

Any suggestions???? I really need help!

Froggyfog

Old 05-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Food Allergies- Help Please...

Hi Froggy, there is a food allergy shot called LDA (low dose allergen). My daughter and I had it (we have each had three shots and I will probably need just one more for now). My daughter was allergic to almost all food and now she is eating everything. I was allergic to many foods and now am eating everything fine. There is a doc who does them right there in Little Rock.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

froggyfog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah;2989***
Hi Froggy, there is a food allergy shot called LDA (low dose allergen). My daughter and I had it (we have each had three shots and I will probably need just one more for now). My daughter was allergic to almost all food and now she is eating everything. I was allergic to many foods and now am eating everything fine. There is a doc who does them right there in Little Rock.

That sound Great!
Do you have his name so I can look him up?

Three to four shots were all you needed? My daughter has allergy shots and she has to have two a week.

What symptoms were you having with your allergys? Mine is mainly sore throat and fatigue and sometimes stomach upset.

Thank you so much!!!

Froggyfog

Old 05-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dr. Michael Roman. Yup, my daughter only needed 3 shots and now she will probably only need a yearly booster for a bit. Total shots equal about 18 or so over many years. Our doc has had them too. He has had 14. Five at first then every year and now he hasn't had a shot in 3 years. I don't know why these darn shots are such a secret. It is a whole program around the shot. You have to keep your allergens low, etc.

My food allergy symptoms were contact allergies with food: upset stomach, reflux, inflamed anus, etc. I was also allergic to ALL toiletries. My face was red all the time and burned when I got out of the shower. No symptoms now!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Morning Sannah.....i see my ENT on Monday. going to discuss this with him. When i saw him last month he told me my allergies were causing swelling in my sinuses, nose, voice box, etc. Also dx me with LPR. have had reflux for years. I suffer as you did with the food allergies. Causes all sorts o fstomach problems. He mentioned doing another series of allergy testing. You know , I am tired of this. I have had the needle *****s done twice already and food testing by blood work twice. each time I have it done more and more come up. Started allergies shots once a week. I needed 4, 2 in each arm. Got to the point that I couldn't work their hours into my work schedule so I stopped. Didin't thing after almost 2 years they helped anyway. he mentioned something about drops that go under your tongue. I don't think the FDA has approved them yet even though Dr.s are using them. You have to pay out of pocket. I will discuss LDA shots with him . I am starting to believe that my allergies since there are so many are ruling my health. thanks for the help.

ICC

Old 05-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ICC, he might not have heard of these shots but maybe he has!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
(female)

froggyfog HB User

I spoke with my allergy clinic today and they told me the food shots were not FDA approved.

I know that doesn't always mean anything but I always err on the side of caution.....so I'll probably won't do the shots.

Any other suggestions that anyone can think of....besides straving LOL

Froggyfog

Old 05-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Froggy, this is correct, they are not FDA approved. I tried to look into it to see why and I couldn't find the answers. My doctor received his first shot in 1992 and he is okay! Also, the doc who brought them to the USA received his first shot at that time too. With my daughter we were desperate. She couldn't eat anything. With me I was allergic to all toiletries so I was kind of desperate too. Good Luck! (At least your allergist heard of them!)

Old 05-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
(female)

froggyfog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
Froggy, this is correct, they are not FDA approved. I tried to look into it to see why and I couldn't find the answers. My doctor received his first shot in 1992 and he is okay! Also, the doc who brought them to the USA received his first shot at that time too. With my daughter we were desperate. She couldn't eat anything. With me I was allergic to all toiletries so I was kind of desperate too. Good Luck! (At least your allergist heard of them!)

I can relate to not being able to eat anything. Thank you so much for sharing your sucess. I go back to my allergist on Monday...not sure what for since we know what my allergies are and I don't know what he can possibly do for me.

Thanks again!

Froggyfog

Old 05-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
(female)

MzTami HB User

FroggyFog,
You and I are in the same boat. I had a mild positive to three food groups according to the skin test. I go back tomorrow to get the blood test done. After I get the results from the blood test, I'm going to a dietician to help me figure out what I can and cannot eat.

Have you considered a dietician? They are not covered through insurance, and my initial consultation is between $110-$120.

ETA: FroggyFog, All natural supplements are not FDA approved either and I don't see why the food shots would be any different.

Last edited by MzTami; 05-20-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzTami View Post
ETA: FroggyFog, All natural supplements are not FDA approved either and I don't see why the food shots would be any different.
Good point! I have never found any info that was bad about these shots. They have been doing them in England since the 1970's. I tried to look up info again about why there is no FDA approval and one of the reasons was funding. It must take a lot of money to put something up for FDA approval? You know the drug companies would lose a lot of money if allergies were cured and this is what these shots do, so they wouldn't be up for investing in these shots.

Last edited by Sannah; 05-20-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
(female)

lovingmom HB User

Sannah,
We are about to take our 2yr old son to a Dr. in MD who does LDA. My son has very bad food allergies. I'm a little nervous about the LDA b/c we've been told by his allergist that he will likely outgrow his allergies if we strictly avoid his allergens. I'm afraid that by giving him the microscopic portions of the allergens I'll ruin his chance of outgrowing the food allergies, assuming LDA doesn't work. What do you think? Has anyone else done LDA for a child with food allergies?

Old 05-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi mom, don't a high percentage of children outgrow their food allergies? My five yr old daughter had these shots because hers were continuing to get worse, she was allergic to almost all food. Are your son's allergies really bad and multiple?

I see you wrote they are very bad! Can you explain how bad?

I don't see why the LDA won't work. It worked very well for us.

Last edited by Sannah; 05-20-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
(female)

lovingmom HB User
Talking Re: Food Allergies- Help Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
Hi mom, don't a high percentage of children outgrow their food allergies? My five yr old daughter had these shots because hers were continuing to get worse, she was allergic to almost all food. Are your son's allergies really bad and multiple?

I see you wrote they are very bad! Can you explain how bad?

I don't see why the LDA won't work. It worked very well for us.
My son has never gone anaphalactic, but was prescribed with an Epi Pen about 9 months ago. He's very allergic to dairy products, eggs, strawberries, chickpeas; to these foods he gets immediate hives around his mouth if he eat even a tiny bit. He's also got reflux and ezcema which I think are related to a food but haven't been able to narrow it down yet. His allergist only did a scratch test. We were giving him soy milk in large quantities every day until a few weeks ago when I learned about the risks in that. So, now his diet is very limited and he's not getting enough protein/ nutrients. He's also sick all the time; a weak immune system. I want to cure him of the food stuff so I can feed him without worry. I'm just not sure whether LDA will be worth the money, or whether it will work.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom, he doesn't eat enough meat? Reflux and eczema can definitely be from food. Both my daughter and I had reflux from it and my daughter had eczema. When did your son first develop his allergies? Are his bowel movements normal? Does he seem to have stomach pain? I see no reason why the LDA shouldn't work. My daughter got her first shot and was eating everything afterwards except milk products because they gave her stomach pain. Before the shot she would get hives. After the second shot she was eating everything, even peanut butter which I had to stick her with an epi pen before for. She only got her 3rd shot for the inhaled and chemical allergies. She didn't need another food shot but she got it anyway because if you give one you give them all. I also had incredible results with my first shot. My fourth shot is due in 3 wks. Children progress faster than adults. He is seeing Dr. Towson? Actually we see a doc in Cinncinati. He does a lot of therapy for allergies and many of the kids he cures don't have to progress to the shots. My daughter did 8 months of other therapies before the LDA to see if only these would work. These therapies actually got her health up pretty good before the shot anyway. She had leaky gut and you can't have that and expect the shot to work so she got rid of that first. Have you seen the doctor yet?

Last edited by Sannah; 05-20-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Closed Thread