It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

Galaxy_Sug HB User
Question Allergic to Levaquin, Amoxicillin and possibly Cipro

Since I was about 2 years old i have been allergic to Amoxicillin where a rash developed all over my body. About a year ago I had an allergic reaction to Levaquin. I didn't have to go to the emergency room or anything, but I could feel my throat closing, my heart racing, my breathing became harder, my neck got swollen and I didn't sleep for three days. The only releif I felt was when the medication wore off a few hours later, but by that time it was time for my next dose. I continued taking it despite these problems because I was trying to convince myself that this was probably just a side effect. By the third day I couldn't handle it so I dropped off the Levaquin, but the reaction continued for another week. A few months later I developed a sinus infection and was given Cipro. My face broke out in a painful, burning and peeling rash, but I never talked to my doctor about it because I was off insurance during that time. I tried telling my doctor about it recently because I finally went back on insurance, but he didn't seem to enthused that I was telling him then, so I dropped the subject.

I guess what I was wondering is if anyone else had an allergic reaction to Levaquin? I just found this so strange. I recently read an article that said something about their being a cross allergy link between being allergic to amoxicillin and Cipro and Cipro and Levaquin. Anyone else hear this? Also, what kind of reaction is considered and allergic reaction? I am not sure if my reaction to Cipro was an "allergic reaction". I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I am moving away from home next month and think I may get a medical alert bracelet stating that I am allergic to amoxicillin and Levaquin because I had the worst reaction to those. I am contimplating putting Cipro on there, but its not on my medical chart where Levaquin and Amoxicillin are. Opinions at all? My doctor didn't say that I had to, but my pharmacist also said that Levaquin is the most given antibiotic in hospitals now and I just want to be safe. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I am just so confused.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
(male)

nick89 HB User
Re: Allergic to Levaquin, Amoxicillin and possibly Cipro

if your allergic to levaquin your allergic to cipro and all other fluroquinolone drugs. id make sure i was never given another fluroquinolone antibiotic again. such as cipro levaquin avelox etc. side effects to these drugs are extremely common. some studies have shown side effects occur up to 70 percent of the time. the so called one percent possibility of side effect such as muscle pain etc is laughable. i had a reaction to avelox (same family of drug as levaquin ) many months ago. im still in severe physical, and mental pain. i tore several tendons, widespread muscle, joint damage.phsychological side effects, nerve damage, blistering peeling rash -phototoxicity resulting in deep second degree burns,list goes on and on.i have been pernamently damaged by this crap and doctors have no knowledge on the damage that these chemotherapeutic drugs can do. do some research on these drugs theres lots of information out there. and theres hundreds of thousands of victims. levaquin works like a chemotherapeutic drug reactions occur because of their toxicity.they are chemotherapeutic agents not antibiotics. these poisons can effect anything and everything. never take another fluoroquinolone again you just may end up a crippled bitter disfigured wreck like me.make sure you put the whole class of fluroquinolones on the bacelet.

Last edited by nick89; 05-28-2007 at 08:59 PM.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
(male)

nick89 HB User

if your allergic to levaquin your allergic to cipro and all other fluroquinolone drugs. id make sure i was never given another fluroquinolone antibiotic again. such as cipro levaquin avelox etc. side effects to these drugs are extremely common. some studies have shown side effects occur up to 70 percent of the time. the so called one percent possibility of side effect such as muscle pain etc is laughable. side effes commonly occur weeks months or years later of course in trials theres no followups.i had a reaction to avelox (same family of drug as levaquin ) many months ago. im still in severe physical, and mental pain. i tore several tendons, widespread muscle, joint damage.phsychological side effects, nerve damage, blistering peeling rash -phototoxicity resulting in deep second degree burns,list goes on and on.i have been pernamently damaged by this crap and doctors have no knowledge on the damage that these chemotherapeutic drugs can do. do some research on these drugs theres lots of information out there. and theres hundreds of thousands of victims. levaquin works like a chemotherapeutic drug reactions occur because of their toxicity.they are chemotherapeutic agents not antibiotics. these poisons can effect anything and everything. never take another fluoroquinolone again you just may end up a rippled bitter disfigured wreck like me.make sure you put the whole class of fluroquinolones on the bacelet.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
(female)

Galaxy_Sug HB User

Thank you for your reply and sorry to hear about all the terrible things that have happened to you! I am just so scared about the whole levaquin thing, and I am going to get a bracelet because I don't want to ever be given it. I will make sure to take your advice and put the who family on there. I work in a pharmacy and I am troubled about how many people are prescribe levaquin. My aunt who has Lupis is even given it. At least the symptoms have passed..for the most part, my breathing is still messed up from time to time, but I have an inhaler and a few meds to help that at least. Thank you so much and take care!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have lots of drug allergies.. lots of them.. but I am not allergic to the fluoroquinolones as of yet.. or Cipro. The cross over is a less than 20% chance of reacting to cipro if you are allergic to a cillian and less than 20% reaction to the fluoroquinolones (Tequin, levaquin, etc).

It is possible that you had an allergic reaction, but I wouldn't declare it without being tested for it by a professional. I have severely sensitive skin.. and when I take Cipro and the quinolones I CAN NOT get in the sun. I turn into a *******, because sunlight give me this raww puffy skin almost like a really bad sun or wind burn and then it will take one to two weeks to clear up. It is a wonderful compound effect with my exzyma and rosacea I am sure. Skin sensitivity to sunlight is a COMMON side effect of the drugs you mentioned.

Talk it over with your MD and let them knwo you are will to give it another try on samples with a back up script for something else, just incase it gets to bad. Use side effect instead of allergy.. they are sometimes more willing to listen to that.. especially since you are supposed to have to take something more than once to be allergic to it. As any one knows this is not always the case... but all MDs are not educated and created equal. Some are just plain lacking.

SIncerely,
MG

Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
(female)

Galaxy_Sug HB User
Smile Re: Allergic to Levaquin, Amoxicillin and possibly Cipro

Thank you mkgbrook for your response. I had talked to my doctor about the Levaquin reaction and they declaired me allergic to it and said that I would never be given that drug again. Like I said, the amoxicillin allergy was declair by a doctor as well when I was young. As for the Cipro thing, I agree that I should have that medically declaired as well, but I will have to wait until I am back in school in the fall to talk to anyone about my concerns because I am off insuance in two days. I don't feel that it was a big deal either cause I didn't have to go to the hospital for any of my reactions, but like i said i just want to be safe but I also still want it to be medically deamed as a true allergy before I say anything. I think I will take your advice and talk to them about possible "side effects" of this drug...your right it sounds better, but all in due time. Again thank you so much for your input!

Take Care!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your mishaps. I too had a bad reaction to Leviquin and Cipro only, I took my self off of it as soon as I started feeling things. I don't believe that your body has to get "use to it" and then symptoms will go away like Dr's say. Medicine is suppose to help the body not make it worse before it gets better. That's nuts!

Closed Thread