It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Has anyone heard of an allergy to Neosporin?

Hi all,

Yesterday was the second time we had to rush my son to the hospital because of a severe allergic reaction - both times - he had neosporin on some minor cuts - we don't think that it's a coincedence - although the doctors don't think this is whats causing the reaction - and said that it's very rare to have an allergy to neosporin. Has anyone had or heard of a problem with neosporin?

The symptoms are hives, itchiness and a red rash all over the body -

anyone? please help!

thanks,
Stefanie

Last edited by Starbuk498; 06-01-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Has anyone heard of an allergy to Neosporin?

My brother has a neosporin allergy too. It gives him hives also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User

Hi -
First off thanks so much for responding - Can you tell me how old your brother is and when he first came down with the allergy? And besides getting hives - does he have any other reaction - redness of the body - trouble breathing - anything else......

thanks so much,
stefanie

Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

I have an allergy to antibiotic ointment. Not sure if it is all of them because I think I can use Bacitracin ointment but certainly not Neosporin.

I didn't develop it until I was in my late 30s. I had some growths/keratosis removed from my face and the dermatologist put antibiotic cream on them (and I did to for several days). Then I noticed that I had huge hives where I had put the cream on. I stopped used the cream but the hives took 3 weeks to go away. They were awful.

I never had any systemic reactions (breathing problems etc), just skin reactions. Another person I know has the same issues.

A Neosporing allergy is not that uncommon. You need to find out which particular ingredient your son is allergic too. I believe there are 3 types of antibiotics in Neosporin. Plus there are inactive ingredients that could be causing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChristineVA For This Useful Post:
karen657 (01-23-2011)
Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User

Christine,

My son had neosporin on both his knees and his hands - and within 5 minutes began to get hives all over his face, neck, and lower extremeties too - it was soooooo fast! He began breathing funny and was complaining of a mouth that "hurt" - he's 4 - so really couldn't be any more descriptive than that. I called 911 and we went to the hospital - he got a shot of benedryl before we left for the hospital - and when we got there - the hives went away - but his entire body was as red as a tomato.

They then gave him an epi shot (epinephrine) - it was a horror - but he eventually was ok.

You are right about there are a few ingredients in the neosporin - and we don't know which one he is having a reaction to - and we obviously can't give him any other ointment like it because we don't know whats making him sick.

All through this - the ER doctor didn't really think it was the neosporin - according to them - it's so rare - but both times he has had neosporin on him recently - he had a reaction. The second one was more serious.

The hospital did tell us that we had to now carry around with us an "epi" pen just in case - because the redness all over his body was "anaphalactyc" (excuse the spelling).

We have an appointment with the allergist in a week and we have to see whats going on.........I just never ever heard of anyone having an allergic reaction to neosporin.

Please note that Matt has had neosporin on him before.......actually we have always used it on him.......just these last 2 times he had a reaction - we just can't figure it out - thanks so much for your input - I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to write......

thanks again,
Stefanie

Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My brother developed his allergies in his 20's. He can no longer use any antibiotic ointments. He typically develops pretty severe hives with them. He hasn't used them in several years so I don't know how he would react now. Around the same time, he developed allergies to most over the counter anti-inflamitories and pain killers. He gets hives and some trouble breathing with those also. He and the docs and pharmacists haven't figured out what the ingredients are that are triggering his problems. He has just been advised to avoid all of these items.

In trying to find a way to heal himself, he has pretty much become a vegitarian/Vegan eating only organic foods. This has been a dramatic lifestyle change for him, but he has been doing better.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Stefanie,

I feel your pain! My son has peanut allergies so we carry an Epi-pen.

I will agree with the ER doctor that anaphalaxis to Neosporin is rare; however, allergic reactions are not. Many people react to the stuff. I used it all my life, with never a problem.

Also, as MountainReader said about her brother, I have also developed an allergy to ibuprofen. At least I thought I had. Every time I took one (this is after YEARS of taking them), I would get a single hive on my chest. I finally stopped and now just take Tylenol. Recently, I took a Feosol iron caplet that looked just like an ibuprofen caplet. Guess what? Same hive. So, I *think* I figured out that I am allergic to something in the similar coatings on these pills and not the active ingredients themselves. Tylenol has no coating, so no problem. And I'm not allergic to other forms of iron.

This allergy stuff is VERY difficult to diagnose. Good luck at the allergist.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User

Mountainreader and christine,

Thanks again for your input - WOW - I can't beleive how much trouble these allergies are causing your brother and yourself. I cannot imagine being allergic to ibuprofen - Advil is like my best friend! I haven't taken it in 7 months - (I'm 7 months pregnant and can only take tylenol) anyway, tylenol doesn't to a thing for me.........I haven't taken pain releivers since I've gotten pregnant - I just deal with whatever I have - because tylenol does didly squat!

Wow - mountainreader - your poor brother sounds like he's been through the ringer with his allergies.........I wish him well and I really hope they find out exactly what and why he's allergic......

And Christine - your ibuprofen allergy sounds scary too.....I hope they find out whats going on with that......but your sooooooooo correct when you say that it is going to be VERY HARD to diagnose.

Although I did my homework - and got a lot of information - I don't know if it will be enough to help the doctor with the diagnosis.......I just got to give him as much information as I can find out about this problem - so we can test him in all the areas necessary

Thank you both for taking the time out of your busy lives to write and share your stories with a perfect stranger!!!!!!!!!!!- god bless you both!!!

Take care,
Stefanie

Old 01-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
(female)

jupiter679 HB User

Hi, this question is for ChristineVA. I recently had reconstructive surgery on a scar on my forehead. I used Neosporin afterwards and discovered that I have developed a Neosporin allergy at the age of 28. Sounds similar to yours, hives, but no other symptoms.

My question is: Did the hives you developed leave any scarring themselves? I would hate to have undergone reconstructive surgery to rid of a scar, only to end up with a worse one.

Thank you for your input.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
(female)

jennylee30 HB User

I am allergic to neosporin. I was hospitalized and almost went into anaphylactic shock.
Doctors have never heard of it, but I KNOW I am allergic to it.
Do you know what it is in neosporin that I am allergic to?
I don't have money for health insurance, so I haven't visited an allergist.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
(female)

GBug HB User

Last year I got bit by some fire ants so I put Neosporin on the bites to prevent infection. Might foot swelled really big and actually got worse. I went to my doctor and he looked at it. He said that I had an allergic reaction (in addition to the allergic reaction caused by the fire ants) to the Neosporin. He told me that over 50% of the population is allergic to it and he doesn't understand why it is not removed from stores and banned. I had no idea!!!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
(male)

inthemuck HB User

I had to take my son to the hospital yesterday when he broke out in a rash all over his body. We thought it must have been something he ate.
In the Er they gave him an oral dose of Prednisone and it worked like a miracle. The rash disappeared almost right before our eyes. It was totally gone a few hours later.

My wife received a call from the nurse at the school this morning and mentioned that she had put some Neosporin on a few cuts he had. After reading these posts I think we have our answer.

Thanks to all for their posts!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
(female)

sobe15 HB User

Hi Stephanie,

I am 32 years old and I developed an allergy to Neosporin when I was 30. I had been using it all my life and suddenly I became allergic. I first had an allergic reaction with hives, trouble breathing, redness and itchiness. I went to the ER, but I didn't remember that I had used Neosporin that day. The allergist really didn't know what I was allergic to.
The second time I applied it to 2 open blisters on my foot (about 2 months later)and went into full anaphyllactic shock. I went through hives, itching, my blood pressure dropped out, my lungs shut down, and I was very close to not making it. By the time I arrived at the ER 15 minutes later I was completely passed out and barely breathing. My doctor did not believe that it could be the Neosporin, I couldn't believe it, I knew that was it, but none of them believed it could cause that type of reaction.
Two days later I applied a very small amount to a tiny scratch on my arm (not smart). Within miliseconds it began to burn and I broke out in hives. I scrubbed it off immediately and I only ended up getting the hives, redness, swollen tongue and throat.
There is no testing for which ingredient it is, and I hate when I tell medical personal that I have an allergy to Neosporin and they look at me condscendingly like, 'oh ya, like a rash or something'. It is certainly something to take seriously though, and yes it certainly can cause anaphylaxis. Hope this helps.
Sobe

Old 04-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
(female)

jessdel1980 HB User

The allergic reaction could be to the sulfates in the Neosporin. I developed an allergy to all sulfa drugs in 2005 out of the blue, I had taken a sulfa-based drug for a UTI and broke out in hives and a huge rash all over my face. Whenever I use Neosporin now I get a local itchy, red rash and hives.

Sulfa allergies can get pretty serious, pretty quickly - thankfully my very first reaction wasn't as serious as it could have been, but it scared me enough to call the doctor in a bit of a panic.

Last edited by jessdel1980; 04-23-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: ETA: typo

Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
(female)

jennifer1977 HB User

Yes, I swear I am allergic to neosporin too. Wasn't allergic growing up, just started about 6 years ago. I got little blisters around the spot where I applied the neosporin and then a few days later broke out in hives all over my body. I didn't believe it was the neosporin either, tried it several other times. Even threw out the tube and bought new ones thinking it maybe had become tainted or gotten bacteria in it that was causing the problem.

Not sure what it is and I don't know about polysporin. I recently had a procedure done and I have several incisions that need to heal with the least amount of scarring possible. The doctor normally suggests using neosporin, but I cannot. He didn't have any other suggestions. Does anyone out there have any? I really don't want to have scars from these incisions; they will show with a bathing suit on, etc... Help!

Closed Thread