It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
(female)

redsands HB User
Have you been told allergies don't count? I need help

My symptoms are ( I do have eustachian tube problems- when allergy season high( I do take shots - for 5 yrs now)- and sudafed for the constant clogged( nothing in my eyes or nose)- all in my ears- clogged, and pressure behing my ears when I fly it is really bad- sometimes I get lightheaded . Does anyone get this with their allergies.i My ent person has ordered balance tests -very extensive- they were normal, - having an MRI on thursday- and says it is a waste to take allergy shots for me, and also says it isn't allergy related and the shots will not help- only gave me a high pressured saline solution called Ensoft to try- I was so desperate this morning i took a sudafed- and got some relief. When I am in the airconditioning I am better- this also doesn't get me in the winter- so My allergist and my ent disagree.
I hear a crackling sound every time I swallow in my ears- they say it is from the eustachian tube and that is no big deal- it certainly is worse after I fly and after I get a big whiff of humid , hot. allergy days.
Can anyone tell me if they have anything like this?????

Old 07-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
(female)

redsands HB User
Re: Have you been told allergies don't count? I need help

Elliot- where do you get that- what is that????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I let my ENT treat my sinuses and throat and my allergist treat my allergies. With out knowing your allergies and the intensity of your allergies the ENT has no right to comment in that regard. I find that my health is intertwined with both. I need shots and still need anti-histamines daily.. with rescue inhalers and such on hand. But the allergy meds didn't truely help until my sinuses were restructures and my tonsils and adnoids removed.

I would not say one is less valid than the other, but look at treating two aspects of one problem. My allergies kept me with a constant sinus infection for 9 months out of the year. It took removal of all but 49% of my frontal and maxillary sinus membranes.. punching holes in all my sinuses and completely emptying the ethnoids and rear sinus off all membranes.. removal of my adnoids and tonsils to give me relief and get me off the max dailly alotment of decongestant allowable.

You may benefit from a bilateral turboplasty.. where you reduce the quatity of membranes availabel to react and block the drainage of fluid out of your ears. I would also look into getting a second ENT opinion if mine had told me what yours did.

Respectfully,
MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
BubblBoy (11-04-2012)
Old 07-25-2007, 05:40 AM   #4
(female)

neon_dreamer HB User

redsands,

I also have Eustachian tube problems due to allergies (year round) and like you, feel better when I'm in air conditioning.

My PCP recommended that I take 10 mg of Zyrtec which seems to work well for me.

Incidentally, I've found that Zyrtec also helped clear the "popping" sensation I used to experience every time I swallow.

Just thought I'd share my experience for what it's worth.

neon_dreamer

Last edited by neon_dreamer; 07-25-2007 at 05:44 AM.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
(female)

redsands HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_dreamer View Post
redsands,

I also have Eustachian tube problems due to allergies (year round) and like you, feel better when I'm in air conditioning.

My PCP recommended that I take 10 mg of Zyrtec which seems to work well for me.

Incidentally, I've found that Zyrtec also helped clear the "popping" sensation I used to experience every time I swallow.

Just thought I'd share my experience for what it's worth.

neon_dreamer
Hi- do you take Zyrtec d with decongestant or the plain?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
(female)

boots4me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsands View Post
My symptoms are ( I do have eustachian tube problems- when allergy season high( I do take shots - for 5 yrs now)- and sudafed for the constant clogged( nothing in my eyes or nose)- all in my ears- clogged, and pressure behing my ears when I fly it is really bad- sometimes I get lightheaded . Does anyone get this with their allergies.i My ent person has ordered balance tests -very extensive- they were normal, - having an MRI on thursday- and says it is a waste to take allergy shots for me, and also says it isn't allergy related and the shots will not help- only gave me a high pressured saline solution called Ensoft to try- I was so desperate this morning i took a sudafed- and got some relief. When I am in the airconditioning I am better- this also doesn't get me in the winter- so My allergist and my ent disagree.
I hear a crackling sound every time I swallow in my ears- they say it is from the eustachian tube and that is no big deal- it certainly is worse after I fly and after I get a big whiff of humid , hot. allergy days.
Can anyone tell me if they have anything like this?????

Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 AM   #7
(female)

neon_dreamer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsands View Post
Hi- do you take Zyrtec d with decongestant or the plain?
redsands,

I take plain Zyrtec.

neon_dreamer

Old 08-03-2007, 05:56 AM   #8
(female)

redsands HB User

Quote:
redsands,

I take plain Zyrtec.

neon_dreamer
Ok thanks- I must say some sudafed, plus the nasorex spray and Astelin Spray has helped a bit- staying indoors too- so I just went back to my allergist who really helped and talked to me about what is going on- I could take zyrtec too- but frankly I don't do to well w/ that pill- I am not great w/ any medication in general. I am finishing up my allergy shots- despite what my ent dr. said.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
(female)

redsands HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
I let my ENT treat my sinuses and throat and my allergist treat my allergies. With out knowing your allergies and the intensity of your allergies the ENT has no right to comment in that regard. I find that my health is intertwined with both. I need shots and still need anti-histamines daily.. with rescue inhalers and such on hand. But the allergy meds didn't truely help until my sinuses were restructures and my tonsils and adnoids removed.

I would not say one is less valid than the other, but look at treating two aspects of one problem. My allergies kept me with a constant sinus infection for 9 months out of the year. It took removal of all but 49% of my frontal and maxillary sinus membranes.. punching holes in all my sinuses and completely emptying the ethnoids and rear sinus off all membranes.. removal of my adnoids and tonsils to give me relief and get me off the max dailly alotment of decongestant allowable.

You may benefit from a bilateral turboplasty.. where you reduce the quatity of membranes availabel to react and block the drainage of fluid out of your ears. I would also look into getting a second ENT opinion if mine had told me what yours did.

Respectfully,
MG
Hi MG thanks for your feedback.
Quote:
redsands,

I take plain Zyrtec.

neon_dreamer
Ok thanks- I must say some sudafed, plus the nasorex spray and Astelin Spray has helped a bit- staying indoors too- so I just went back to my allergist who really helped and talked to me about what is going on- I could take zyrtec too- but frankly I don't do to well w/ that pill- I am not great w/ any medication in general. I am finishing up my allergy shots- despite what my ent dr. said. /By the way- I never have fluid in my ears- and I never get sinus headaches- and my cat scan and mri show nothing in the sinus area-
I have never had a sinus infection- so now I am sticking w/ my allergist who feels as my ent on my last and hopefully last visit to him- also agreed that what really is getting to me is my eustachian tube doesn't function well at all and when I fly it is bad news, and when allergy season is high I don't do that well ( but I know now how to start handiling it. At least- the ent did finally say- at least for now- that it is my etd that is giving me this distress .

Closed Thread