It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

redsands HB User
Allergies causing bad ear trouble- need help!! please

Supposedly I have eustachian tube problems- etd- I have had all kinds of tests- balance tests, - etc- now they want me to have an MRI- which is Thursday- I am really scared- but the ear dr. says- have to see what is going on- doesn't believe it is from allergies, or the airplane flights I took ( 5 of them within a 2 wk span- my allergist disagrees- it is so confusing. It is true- when It happens- pressure- lightheadness, clogged ears - it is scary and anxiety provoking- I feel out of it when it happens- and once I got a dizzy thing - when I was sitting up as a passengar while driving- the rest seem to occurr after I get out of a moving vehickle- or train- but this happens mainly MAy- Oct- never in the winter- oh yes- If I fly one time in the winter- I might feel clogged- but not like this.
Anyone out there can help me- or has had this????

Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #2
(female)

redsands HB User
Re: Allergies causing bad ear trouble- need help!! please

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip22244 View Post
It sounds like your sinuses may be congested. The congestion may actually be due your allergies, as your allergist has said. You see the sinuses are connected to the ears via the euastachian tube and when the sinus are congested they can create pressure in the head. It is this pressure and cognestion that is probably causing the blocked ears that you have described.

The plane trips also probably aggitated the situation because of the pressure changes. When the ears become affected in some way it, your sense of balance will also be affected. To me it just seems like you have sinus congestion. When you go on a plane trip you should try this little trick: hold your nostrils closed and blow this should equalize the pressure in your ears; if you try it now you can even feel how this works. You can also visit sinuswars for more information on sinus congestion.
Hi tirp- I do take sudafed nozs xdopz- Nx xo loa fo clear ears- they just go back to square one. there is no fluid in my ears- and my sinuses are clear on mri- and car. redsands[/I]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
(female)

boots4me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsands View Post
Supposedly I have eustachian tube problems- etd- I have had all kinds of tests- balance tests, - etc- now they want me to have an MRI- which is Thursday- I am really scared- but the ear dr. says- have to see what is going on- doesn't believe it is from allergies, or the airplane flights I took ( 5 of them within a 2 wk span- my allergist disagrees- it is so confusing. It is true- when It happens- pressure- lightheadness, clogged ears - it is scary and anxiety provoking- I feel out of it when it happens- and once I got a dizzy thing - when I was sitting up as a passengar while driving- the rest seem to occurr after I get out of a moving vehickle- or train- but this happens mainly MAy- Oct- never in the winter- oh yes- If I fly one time in the winter- I might feel clogged- but not like this.
Anyone out there can help me- or has had this????
I had problems for over ten years with my ears being plugged most or the year due to allergies. Nothing drs gave me worked very well. My tubes would plug up for no reason sometimes. I went to an herbalist and was given a homeopathic remedy called Baptisia. My ears had been plugged for two months. I took some as soon as I walked out and before I walked the one block to my car my ears started to pop open. It took over a week before I could finally hear normally. I have never been without it since. I've given it to friends that complain of ears being plugged just from common cold, and it works right away. I was getting it in tablet form and can no longer find it, but I found liquid. I haven't had to use it, but it should work. An ear, nose and throat doc wanted to put "windows" in my sinuses several years ago but I decided the little bit that I'm bothered at that point, I wouldn't have surgery. Different things work for different people and there's no guarantee it will work for you, but it's worth a try (for about $10). I haven't had a problem at all in a long time. I don't fly much, but when I did, I would be "off balance" and disoriented for a few hours afterwards.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
(female)

redsands HB User

thanks - I assume you get this at a health food store??I would dtry anything

Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
(female)

boots4me HB User

Quote:
Yes. Call around first because not all of them carry it. If you get some, I hope it works for you. I went through what you're going through for years and it's miserable. I'd just get a scratchy throat and my ears would plug. I used this to unplug the ears, but I consider myself cured now because I don't have problems anymore. I also drink yarrow tea as soon as I feel any sign of sinus problems and that nips it in the bud right away. For me it acts like an anti-histimine. I also use elderflower tea and linden flower tea sometimes. Used to have sinus infection all the time. Haven't had one in well over 15 years, not even common cold and a sore throat and I give credit to the teas for building up my immune system - and then there's always garlic and/or carrot juice. Baptisia unplugs the ears. Anything more in the sinuses, try the teas, or carrot juice.

I've suffered permanant loss of hearing in one ear because in my continuous "plugged" ears and drs mis-diagnosis or incorrect treatment. He diagnosed that in the middle of it all. I had no infection anywhere, but ears were plugged. He took an xray and said one of the bones in my right ear had enlarged because of ears being plugged all the time and would eventually result in permanent loss of hearing. He got THAT diagnosis right. He had no idea why my ears were plugged that day. That's when I looked for another way to fix it.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
(female)

boots4me HB User

Quote:
Here I go again. Went back and re-read your post regarding conflict of opinion between ear dr and allergist. I went to one of the best known and respected ear drs in the county (good for surgery). He talked to me about 5 minutes, did an ear test and talked about 10 min and handed me a prescription. I took one capsule when I got to work. Within 10 minutes my head was pounding, heart was pounding. I could hear fairly well before that, but in no time, I couldn't hear the phone ring at my desk. I worked at a hospital. The director of pharmacy came to my office and I told her what was going on. She told me to never take the drug again because I was allergic to it. I called the dr. He said I wasn't allergic to a thing and keep taking it. He's an idiot.

I checked out three medical journals on allergies and in one of them it said that "mainstream" doctors don't believe in allergies and that they can cause the problems they do. The case histories in those journals would curl your hair and I didn't read anything about hives and rashes.

When I finally got tested, I was allergic to 40% of what I was tested for. That was spring allergies. I didn't go back in the fall for fall testing Then there's food allergies, food sensitivities, pollens, smog and a plethra of chemicals we are exposed to everyday. I've learned a lot about allergies, but I'm not an expert. And, I'd get dizzy and disoriented driving in winter time from exhaust, at times I didn't know if I'd make it home.

If you have MRI and it's okay,(I suspect it will be) listen to the allergist.
I learned the hard way, allergies gone untreated, lead to more. Your body attacks things it considers "foreign" and it seem like the more it goes untreated the more it finds "foreign". My allergist said he was sure I had asthma and was surprised I could control everything with herbs, and the reason allergies got so bad (I had caught flu and everything kicked up again) is because of the two drs that didn't want to consider allergies - and ins required referrals. Allergist gave me meds that made me dizzy and blood pressure shot up, so I took my herbs and he saw for himself how they work. He said I'd be lot better off if I never have to take the meds. So please, try the baptisia and then the herbs if you need to, and believe in them, because they work, and keep us posted. Nothing works if you don't think it will. Carrot juice is a God-send too. If you have upper-respiratory problems (ears are a part of that) or wear glasses you need a lot more than the RDA of beta-carotene, because you're not absorbing it like normal.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
(female)

redsands HB User

THanks all for the respones- My MRI is fine- thank god- I will try the teas and hopefully get the baptisia I am going back to my allergist and taking the rest of my shots-I don't care what my husband Dr. carries on about that it is a waste- let him see how this feels. I already knkow I have allergies- had complete testing- today was so bad cause I exervcised outside yesterday( mistake- I have been staying in the aircondioning to do it- and until yesterday was gradually getting better- but today completely clogged- I even had to give in to a sudafed. I will definitely try all your suggestions and keep you posted. God bless for all your advise- it helped me to know someone out there has a similar reaction and also that there are some remedies- that emotionally helps me so much too.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
(female)

boots4me HB User

Quote:
THanks all for the respones- My MRI is fine- thank god- I will try the teas and hopefully get the baptisia I am going back to my allergist and taking the rest of my shots-I don't care what my husband Dr. carries on about that it is a waste- let him see how this feels. I already knkow I have allergies- had complete testing- today was so bad cause I exervcised outside yesterday( mistake- I have been staying in the aircondioning to do it- and until yesterday was gradually getting better- but today completely clogged- I even had to give in to a sudafed. I will definitely try all your suggestions and keep you posted. God bless for all your advise- it helped me to know someone out there has a similar reaction and also that there are some remedies- that emotionally helps me so much too.
Good. I'm so glad your MRI is fine. Trust your allergist. I really don't have any experience with treatment by an allergist because I drank the teas and didn't need treatment. That's why I'm sold on the teas. I also did other things that helped, like juicing carrots, long before I went to him. Juicing helps clear out toxins and carrots build up the upper respiratory system. I'd make carrot juice and my ears would start to pop open while I was drinking it, but it wasn't enough. Baptisia is the thing that really did the trick. As for the teas, I've met women from England, Russia, Cuba, South America and they've said that they've always kept yarrow and linden flower on hand because they're so good. The herbalist I went to said elderberry tea is one of the best all-round teas you can drink. I don't know about that, but when I first bought it, I bought it because my mother said when growing up they always took elderberry wine when they got sick. I drank a cup of the tea every night and after about 5,6 days I noticed I felt better and I didn't feel bad to begin with.

I would recommend getting about $2.00 worth, each, of the first two. That should be plenty to find out of it works for you.

Good luck.

Closed Thread