It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

michele51405 HB User
Please Help! Major Food Allergies

My husband had bloodwork done last week to test him for food allergies. He has been very ill off and on since last September and nobody could figure out what was wrong with him....well now I think we have our answer! When we got home from work today we had a message on our answering machine letting us know the results of the test. Turns out he is allergic to wheat, soybean, peanuts, and corn. We were doing some research tonight and it turns out these products are in almost everything!!!! His doctor wants him to schedule an appointment to discuss everything further...but here's the problem, his doctor is out of town and his first available appointment isn't until August 1!! What are we suppose to do in the mean time.......We read somewhere the even toothpaste contains some sort of corn product...come on now! I seriously don't know what to get him other then tons of raw fruits and veggies. Another thing we read about, which is a big problem, is people with wheat allergies can have what is known as "bakers allergy". Basically wheat in the air can cause a reaction......well I'm a baker!!!! I have a side business where I bake cakes! What am I suppose to do.........I so hope someone can help me. My husband said until we are able to talk to the doctor for me to continue baking and he'll go hang out at his buddies house, but I don't want to do that to him!

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can give us any advice! I want to know exactly what to buy until we can talk to the doctor...I hope someone can help me out! We really appreciate any help! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Please Help! Major Food Allergies

Well, the first thing is no processed foods. You'll have to cook most everything from scratch. That very well could clear most of his problems. For toothpaste, just use baking soda. As for the "baker's alelrgy", you may find that isn't an issue once you clear his diet of the offending allergens.
Also, there are tons of non-wheat flours on the market for people with wheat allergies. Peanuts are hard to avoid as they are everywhere! Same for corn.
You'll just have to be vigilant when dining out...

Bottom line is....you can manage another week and a half till the doctor is back. Just stay any from any processed foods till then. You didn't state what his symptoms were but if he's been sick for almost a year and hasn't been in anaphalactic shock in that time, he'll be fine. Good luck and let us know what the doctor says.

Last edited by Titchou; 07-20-2007 at 07:18 AM.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

michele51405 HB User

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to the grocery store in a little while to see what I can find! This is definitely a major change. I'm actually waiting for a nurse from our doctors office to call with some advice aswell.

Some of his major symptoms have included breathing difficulty, extreme pain below his rib cage, heart pain (he feels like his chest is going to collapse), and sometimes a burning sensation throughout his body. On one occasion a few weeks ago he had the burning feeling and then his arm went num. His uvula has also swelled up about 6 times since last September. There were a few times he told me he felt like he was going to pass out.....we have had many trips to the hospital with no results other then stabalizing him. I think we are finally on the right track though......

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated! Does anyone know of any good websites with receipes for people with food allergies?

Last edited by michele51405; 07-20-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
(female)

Mag311 HB User

I am very sorry to hear about your husband and all of his allergies. I know what he is going thru. I am allergic to Wheat, onion, potato, tomato, beef, pork, and salmon. Once I heard about all my food allergies I was shocked and I had no idea what to do. My first response was exactly like yours. What in the heck am I am going to eat...boiled chicken and lettuce. Did I have to become a rabbit. Unfortunatly, there is no cure for food allergies like there are with seasonal allergies. We can't just take a pill. However....if you can get your hands on some really good allergy medicine (zyrtec, allegra, etc...) your husband can take one of those 30mins before he is about to eat and that will help a little with the allergies and breaking down the enzymes that are causing the allergies in the stomach. It has helped me a great deal. Like when I know it is thanksgiving time and I really want to eat everything....I am zyrtec'd up and I don't have any problems.

Also...another thing to try is some food allergies are more severe then others and they all cause different symtoms. What I did is cut out nothing, except one item for three weeks to see how I felt. I noticed that wheat isn't too strong of an allergy for me and it just makes me tired and itch a little. Nothing to horrible. So...I thought with moderation I can still eat products with wheat I just have to read labels and make sure I am not putting in massive amounts. Maybe 1 time a day I can eat something with wheat. Then I took salmon out of my diet. Well that helped out a ton. No wonder I always felt ill to my stomach and got horrible heart burn after I ate that stuff. I also didn't feel good for days..muscles aches and stuff after I ate that. So...I knew to keep that out of my diet for good. Pork...well that makes my stomach upset and my tongue itch. Tomatoes....I can only take in small doess.

Basically what I am saying is I tried to find out what each of those food allergies did to me and how they reacted with me so I knew if it was a huge thing or something i could live with since I was allergic to basically everything we always eat. Now...I have a good understanding and I feel much better. i continue to get weekly allergy shots for the seasonal allergies but I believe they are helping with the food allergies. On big nigths out I take my allergy med before eating so I don't impose my problems on anyone else or I want to eat out for a change. And then I just hope my doc. is right. That if you eliminate the allergen (food) for up to 5 years straight then slowly re-introduce it back into your body then you will not be allergic to it anymore. I am praying that comees true. Right now I just don't eat anything with onions, pork, salmon, and tomatoes. So...the rest is liveable for me.

I wish I could tell you there were a ton of sites out there dedicated to this...but I really haven't found to many. Just this site...it is wonderful. It is a great support network and I am grateful to all the help I got here. Goodluck and if you have any questions, let me know!

Maggie

Old 07-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Michelle, good thing that you bake bread because this is what he will need to eat. I used a mixture of brown rice flour (3 1/4 cups), potato starch (1 1/4 cups) and tapiaco starch (1/2 cup) to make bread for my daughter. She really liked pumpkin bread that I made with it. I took a regular pumpkin bread recipe and exchanged the flours. You can use oil (vegetable oil is soy) in exchange for shortening (which is soy). We used corn oil for her but I guess you cannot. (1/3 cup shortening = 1/4 cup oil). He can also eat rice, oats (oat flour is good, mix it with rice flour), make pancakes. There are rice and potato pastas which are quite good. Soy and corn are in many things. Corn is even worse. Maltodextrin is corn. I would look up every ingredient that you are not familiar with to make sure that it isn't derived from corn or soy. Corn is in a lot of liquid medicines I think. Those with Celiac disease have a lot of good bread recipes. We have a way of making rice that is very delicious. Let me know if you want to know how.

My daughter and I got a food allergy shot (LDA, Low Dose Allergen) which worked well for us. My daughter was allergic to almost all food and now she is eating everything. I am still getting my shots but I have noticed much progress.

Last edited by Sannah; 07-24-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
(female)

jkitty HB User

A friend of mine is allergic to Gluten and Wheat. There are Gluten free stores and should be an area dedicated to Gluten free products in your major grocery store. At least there is around me. Good luck.

Closed Thread