It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

imhdab HB User
Question HELP! Sudden allergies! Can I be allergic to 1 cat but not others?

Hello!

Please help! About 18 years ago I developed a sudden seafood allergy. I'm now 45 and it seems like I'm suddenly allergic to more things:
  • Yellow dye #5
  • Blueberries
  • other foods (but I haven't quite pin-pointed them yet)
  • and WORST of alll: my cats

I've had cats for 16+ years without any problems. These have been mostly tabby-mix cats, and 1 Himalayan-Siamese mix. About 4 weeks ago we got a 10-week old Himalayan kitten (to replace the 16 year old that we had to put to sleep) and there were no real signs of allergies until about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Now my eyes sting, my congestion has gotten worse (I always seem to have some) and after I kiss her little head my lips feel 'full', irritated, and sting a little. But it only seems to happen with the Himalayan kitten -- not the other 3 cats. (At least I THINK the kitty is causing this -- I guess it could be something I've eaten previously...)

One more note: the cats don't have fleas and are kept indoors at all times.

HELP!!! What can I do? I absolutely can't give up my cats -- we couldn't have kids and they ARE my furry children. I have an appointment with an allergist in a few weeks but what can I do now?

Would any of the following help:
  • neti pot?
  • Drink more water? (I heard that helps)
  • air purifier?
  • special comb/brush for cats?
  • other suggestions?

I've been taking Zyrtec -- which doesn't seem to help much and Benadryl.

PLEASE help! I love my kitties soooo much! (And I really am a good kitty Mommy!)

Thanks in advance!
~Heather

P.S. Why is this happeningn ow? Something to do with changing hormones? Am I mutating into an alien life form? What can I do? I'm so sad worry about what I might have to do...

P.P.S. Are there any 'common' food allergies that might be next on my ever-increasing list of allergies?

Last edited by imhdab; 07-20-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo, added 1 question

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: HELP! Sudden allergies! Can I be allergic to 1 cat but not others?

Take the injections...that's your best bet.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

A friend at work ended up with the same issue. As she got older she had more allergies, I hope it doesn't happen to me because I love my kitties.
My boyfriend is allergic, but he doesn't have problems with mine. Buy a good HEPA filter vaccuum and make sure you vaccuum the carpets once a week if not more. Also dust, clean hardwoods and other floors.
Bathing the kitties also helps and now there are some good anti allergen shampoos and wipes that I have heard help a lot. Brushing helps also.
We also keep the fan running on the A/C and switch out the fliters monthly using the anti-allergen filters that are more expensive, but definately help.

good luck!
lyl

Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
(female)

gdschillins HB User

I'm allergic to my cats' I just don't let them get into my lap or sleep with me anymore. I'll play with them and rub on them once in a while but I know I have to wash afterwards. I seem to be ok with my cat's dander unless it's personal. However I can't even step into my best friends house because as soon as I do i swell up. Long haired cats cause more problems for me and I had to actually get rid of my himalyan but I had just gotten her too so it wasn't too much of a trouble.
God speed.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Here is something you can try, my cat loved it. I would take a spray bottle and mix 3/4 water to 1/4 applecider vinegar. Shake well and spray this solution onto a cloth, wipe the kitty's fur with it, it really helped on keeping the dander to a minimum. Also my cat's coat was so shiny, and it's good for there skin. Cats love this stuff too, so kitty may be licking while your putting it on. Hope it helps you.

Closed Thread