It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
(female)

numbcy HB User
How long does a food intolerance reaction usually last for???

I suspect I have food intolerances, though it has been virtually impossible to figure out what. It seems to be EVERYTHING. And this came on suddenly; never had a reaction to food like this in my life. I am 22 years old now and pretty much every time I eat I get very, very dizzy, shakey, weak, and tired. I become bed-ridden for about 5-7 days before I can even try to eat again. How long does a food intolerance reaction normally last for?

Does this even sound like a food intolerance?

I've been researching this myslef because no doctors have been able to help me yet. This has been going on for almost 8 months now. I havn't been able to go to work in 8 months! Because I'm so dizzy all the time, I can't even drive!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
(female)

bjz823 HB User
Re: How long does a food intolerance reaction usually last for???

You better see your doctor to rule out anything else and get an allergy test while you are at it. I would limit the foods you eat to a few until you find out. There is a list of foods most likely to give people trouble. Stay away from those. You know, wheat, soy, milk, eggs, nuts, etc...

I have had a problem I suspected wheat and then soy and I was right. I finally got insurance so I could afford health care. I got a blood work up to check for other things and I was fine. So now I am going to cut out all those foods giving me trouble.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

numbcy HB User

Hi and thank you for your response...

Unfortunately, I have seen MANY different doctors for this illness (including an allergist and gastronologist) and have been tested for many different things and EVERYTHING has come up negative.

The doctors have given up on me. They don't know what else to do. That is why I am now seeking others help on these boards, hoping to find an answer somewhere.

I am so sick and someone out there must know something.

Last edited by numbcy; 08-02-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Do you drink diet drinks?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
(female)

numbcy HB User

No, I don't drink diet drinks. In fact, I eat very, very healthy. You would think I would be healthier than anyone in the world!

I've been vegan for 4 years now. I eat mainly vegetables and fruits, whole wheat bread, a lot of organic stuff, no dairy, no meat, no additives or preservatives. I NEVER eat out and do all of the cooking myself.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
(female)

E.K HB User

Did your doctor check for diabetes? Also, if you are a vegan you could have an iron deficiency which may be making you feel dizzy and tired...

Last edited by E.K; 08-12-2007 at 12:51 AM.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
(female)

numbcy HB User

Hi, and thank you for replying . . .

I have been checked for diabetes: nothing. I have also had my blood checked for iron levels: "normal".

Everything keeps coming back negative. And the doctors say, "Well, looks like you're healthy!" with a big, stupid, grin on their faces . . .

. . . because obviously I'm not healthy . . . or I wouldn't be having all of these symptoms! What? Do they think it's my little joke to come into their office with a long list of debilitaing symptoms that I just made up???

Old 08-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Diz! I'm no expert or vegetarian, but I do know a thing or two about detoxing a body, being in recovery many years. Not just from addictive chemicals, but also trying to find out what keeps giving me diarrhea, rashes, hives, etc. I have come to find out from a very learned allergist about a histamine elimination diet, which cancels eating those foods like tomatoes, strawberries, preservatives, nitrates/nitrites (as in hot dogs & potato chips), artificial & regular chocolate, egg whites, soybeans, spinach, citrus, salicylates. Now I'm sure being a vegan you probably don't touch potato chips and hot dogs, but all the others are natural foods like soy, egg white, citrus and tomatoes and they may just have something to do with your upset system. I've had to take everything out of my diet, like starting a baby out on solid foods, and see where the reactions were. A HUGE problem with food dyes-- red, yellow blue--you name it, can't do it. I hope this has been a little bit helpful. I went to doctor after doctor who told me I was "perfectly healthy" and lo and behold! the allergist is the only doctor I have stuck with for years and got rid of the gps. I must be on my 10th in 5 years because they just don't get it!!! Take care & God bless--Hopeto PS If I find any other data, I will post it.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

Try cutting out gluten/wheat, etc.

scott

Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #10
(female)

numbcy HB User

I already have. Another doctor thought I may have Celiac Disease, so I cut that out about 2-3 months ago. Even after the tests showed that I don't have Celiac, I still continue to avoid gluten. Pretty much the only thing I eat anymore is fresh veggies and organic, canned beans. Sometimes some nuts and barley wheat.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Diz! [removed] Thre are many physicians who share their thoughts and expertise on rotating foods and total eliminations. I know myself I have suffered for years with so many different symptoms, physical and mental, that have been caused by the toxins either found in foods or preparations used on the body. Granted, I may look like heck(my personal opinion) because I can't dye my hair or use a lot of creams or perfumes, but the peace of mind you get knowing what is wrong makes you appreciate the little things in life and that in itself is beautiful. I hadn't slept right for months and after going to my allergist this year and the literature that he gave me regarding histamine and how it affects the body gave me a sense of relief and a good night's sleep was had that night! Even if your doctor doesn't agree with the elimination/rotation diet, there are other allergists and some gp's who do. My son's pediatrician told me about it almost 15 years ago and never had to do it until my life was affected. May God bless and may you find someone who's on the same page as you. Take care--Hopeto--

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-13-2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 08-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

it also depends where you do the food allergy testing, and how you do it.

[removed] Meridian Labs is really good up in I believe Washington, [removed]... They do the ELISA testing, not sure if you've had that done. And there's an even more specific lab that is called ImmunoLabs in Florida that tests for other antibodies which is good.

Have you checked for leaky gut?

Scott

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-13-2007 at 11:06 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 08-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: debilitatingdiz last for???

Sounds very much like Gastric Dumping Syndrome to me.

This syndrome normally only occurs after GI surgery - gastric resection for the morbidly obese is the most frequent cause but it also occasionally occurs after ulcer or gallbladder surgery. It's very uncommon to have it without having had surgery, but it *does* happen. It appears to be unrelated to allergies.

You might read up on it, see if it sounds like it fits and if so, mention it at your next appointment with a GI doctor.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
(female)

numbcy HB User

Thank you everyone so much for your support and advice. I will post at a later date to update anyone interested if anything changes/I get new tests done/etc. As of now, I don't have much news. Thank you again! So much.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:35 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: debilitatingdiz last for???

[removed] Good luck!

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-15-2007 at 01:28 AM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Closed Thread