It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

tobacco allergy?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
SentenceDoing
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
tobacco allergy?

I always thought I was allergic to tobacco, because whenever I was around people who were smoking cigarrettes, especially in restaraunts and bars before the law went into effect, I'd start coughing and my sinuses in my nose would close up so that I couldn't even breathe out of my nose.
And then last week, my brother was smoking a cigar, and I got curious and tried a puff of it. The next morning when I woke up, my top lip had swelled up, and it was like that for most of the day. At first, I was trying to figure out what I'd eaten the day before that could have caused it, but as far as I know, I don't have any food allergies and hadn't eaten anything that I'd never eaten before. And then my brother reminded me that I'm allergic to tobacco, so the reaction was probably from having direct contact with a tobacco leaf.
When I looked it up on the internet, it basically came up with a bunch of websites that say tobacco allergies do not exist....
Is anyone here allergic to tobacco or knows anyone who is???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
gushin
(male)

gushin HB User
Re: tobacco allergy?

Looks like I am. A new co-worker was hired at the company I work for, and he is a heavy smoker. Right after he smokes (outside of the building) and comes back into the office. I start coughing, wheezing, get a headache, watery eyes, itching, and other allergy symptoms. I have an air purifier in my office running with my door closed, but it doesn't help much. I take Zyrtec every morning which helps with the coughing. But it has gotten so bad, that even other co-workers who use chewing tobacco or dry tobacco get me to itch and sometimes even get a little swelling. I just started seeing an allergist and hope he can help. I got my first injection yesterday, and though it helped a little, it's still not enough. We'll see what happens.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Lindaru
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

I had an allergy test when I was 25 and diagnosed with low grade asthma (I am 51 now).

I remember the things they tested for. Molds, dust, dust mites, grass pollens, tree pollens, animal dander, various foods and *tobacco*, so even back then, tobacco allergies must have been common enough to be tested for.

So, yes, tobacco allergies are very real and have been known about for a long time.

Hope you can find a solution.

Lindaru

Old 07-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
SentenceDoing
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Awesome. I posted this over a year ago. I'm glad I got some replies! Thanks!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
gushin
(male)

gushin HB User

Almost a month of shots (3 times a week), and the symptoms have diminished, but not gone away. I'm still itching quite a bit around my tobacco using coworkers and feeling dizzy. I don't know what else to do. Doctor says to give it time. But when I feel real bad I have to leave work. I've already used up all my vacation time and sick leave of how bad it got esp. before the shots.

Closed Thread