It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
(female)

serpentgirl HB User
lymph node issue...allergies or something worse?

Thank you for reading this.

Here is my story. About 5 years ago I noticed a small (about 1 cm), hard lymph node on the left side of my neck next to my throat. About a year later a slightly smaller hard one developed on top of it. Maybe a year after that, a few more rubbery nodes ranging from about 0.5 to 1.5 cm developed on the right side of my neck right under the jawline. I went to the doctor and he said I was probably fine but ordered a CBC test to ease my mind. The test came back fine. What I should mention is that I have bad allergies. I have a year-round post nasal drip and have to blow my nose more than most people. The concensus back then was that these nodes enlarged because of my allergies. Since then, I've exhibited no other symptoms of lymphoma and the nodes have not grown. I've also had my GYN feel my nodes at my annual check and she never seemed concerned. However, recently I noticed two new ones, about 1.3 to 1.5 cm under the left side of my jaw line. I know the only way to know for sure is to request a biopsy, but I don't want to worry if it really doesn't seem like a problem. I'm a huge worrier when it comes to health stuff. Should be I concerned?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
(female)

serpentgirl HB User
Re: lymph node issue...allergies or something worse?

..........Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Have you ever been tested for Epstein-Barr Virus? I had swollen lymph nodes from that.

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 08-14-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

If those are the only swollen nodes you have and your doctor isn't concerned, chances are that it's nothing to worry about.

One question, though. Do you floss your teeth every day? Gingivitis can cause those particular nodes to be swollen.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
(female)

5han HB User

I've had a one inch swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, a bit smaller one on the left side, one in my arm pit, and one in my breast swollen for about 10 years, and I'm 20. I had a ct scan for the ones in my neck and and there was no concern. I had a dermatologist and my gyno look at the other two and they weren't concerned either. If you have a lot of allergies I believe the allergic symptoms are your body's immune system response, which may often include swollen lymph nodes. It might just be a symptom of your allergies. A lot of people get mysterious swollen lumps and bumps and its the doctors job to know when its something more serious. Lymphoma is a scary thought because it occurs in people our age at times, but I since you asked your doctor for a blood test and that came back fine, you're probably perfect. That's what I did to ease my worries about it. Most likely it's just your natural immune response to your allergies... and no more urgent than the post nasal drip you're experiencing. Talk to your doctor about your worries though. Beg him to do some tests to clear your mind. They won't think you're crazy. It's important to have your anxiety over these symptoms eased and they know that.

Last edited by 5han; 08-14-2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: didnt notice she had a cbc test allready, and suggested it

Old 08-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
(female)

budsmama HB User

Hi,

Not at all trying to scare you, but your symptoms sound quite like my husbands. He noticed what he thought might be a swollen lymph node as he was shaving his neck one morning.........he went to Dr then had a ct scan done Dr gave him antibiotics but it did not go away. This Dr sent him to an ear nose and throat Dr, he looked at ct and wanted a biopsy of the node, done a needle biopsy....nothing. Dr did not stop there he did not like what he saw so the dr done a surgercal biopsy and it too showed nothing but he kept doing test and sending the tissue to different and bigger hospitals till they found out what it was, took 4 weeks but it was diagnosed as nasalphargeal cancer...the area on back of sinus, behind the nose. A PET scan confirmed the diagnose.Please ask to see an ENT if you are not already. And get a biopsy to test for this...this is a rare cancer for the USA but we have meet one other person here who has it .....SAME SYMPTOMS!!!!!! It is highly curable but if left untreated it will spread first to lymph nodes then to bones.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
(female)

5han HB User

Oh my god. I'm sorry budsmomma but you've just scared the crap outa me. Now, as for me, I've had these swollen lymphnodes for 10 years now, and had them ct scanned back then.I've seen an ENT recently who had a look at my sinuses through a ct scan and if I had anything wrong with me he probably would be able to tell. He also had no concern about my lymphnodes. So can someone just reassure me.. please.. I'm scared too easily... meh.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

5han, you have had a CT scan. Cancer would have shown up there. You have also had the same swollen nodes for 10 years, right? If you had cancer or something else horrible going on, don't you think it would have gotten worse in 10 years time? Don't scare yourself.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
(female)

5han HB User

just needed someone else to tell me that besides myself. Thanks! =P

Old 08-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #10
(female)

Kellir HB User

Lol 5han=P Dont worry. If you had them for 10 years and it was some kind of cancer then you would be dead by now. Take care.

Closed Thread