It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
(male)

KyleG HB UserKyleG HB User
Red face Chronic Post Nasal Drip causing gagging

I have allergies and and sinus problems. I had done allergy shots for almost 3 years when I was younger but they had no affect. I am currently deciding whether to redo the allergy shots or try the new allergy drops or some alternative treatments. There is one problem that I have had since I was little, probably since I had obtained the allergies. I have chronic post nasal drip that never stops. Although I am not conciously aware of it, I am constantly swallowing the drainage as it drips down my throat. The post nasal drip for some reason causes me to gag usually after I swallow. I would assume because its dropping right behind my tongue and activating my gag reflex. The bad thing about this is, it happens frequently thoughout the day.

It is a lot worse when I am exercising or running. After a while of running I start to get that feeling in my throat and that causes me to stop and is holding me back from doing what ever I am doing to my fullest capablilties. It is there all the time and it feels like I am going to throw up and I have to stop myself from doing it what ever I am doing at the moment. I have had this since I was young and I do not know why.

I am now taking Xantac and Prevacid for about a month to see if my GERD symptoms improve. My ENT diagnosed me with possible LPR but he wasn't sure. All he said was that I probably had an overactive gag reflex. But I was thinking he didn't fully understand what I told him.

This is an ongoing problem since childhood but I had not realised that what I was feeling was not normal and is keeping me from performing 100% in my physical activities. I take karate and I was going to test for my brown belt which is a huge step up rank and I had to give that up because I knew that going through the test wouldn't be easy with my problem.
I went to an ENT in philly and he said i had allergic rhinitis or w/e and said the gagging is probably from post nasal drip.
This problem had first lead me to believe that acid reflux is the culprit. What I had thought was the acid was going into my throat and was causing me to gag. But now I realise its definitely post nasal drip because I am constantly swallowing the never ending drainage and I think it irritates my stomach and also makes me gag. This is what makes my physical activities so difficult. When I run, I can only run so far until this problem occurs and it completely stops me. I am unable to run 1 mile without having to stop and "Control my gag". In karate it affects me so much since I am moving around a lot during cardio excercise. It is frustrating because I cannot perform at my fullest potential because I cannot work myself up to my endurance.

My post nasal drip is non stop every second of every day since I was very little. So I had always been used to this and never thought of the gagging until recently.

Can someone please help me out? Does anyone here have any experience on this kind of thing? Is there some kind of treatment for this to totally eliminate it?
Even though I have allergies its not normal to have post nasal drip that never stops, ever right? There has got to be something wrong then.

The following user gives a hug of support to KyleG:
bettymae (08-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Chronic Post Nasal Drip causing gagging

Hi Kyle, my daughter did this. She used to gag, choke and throw up a lot from the PND. We got her allergies under control and she doesn't even have allergy symptoms anymore. She is on shots, we have the house controlled pretty well for dust mites, we keep the windows closed (use a pollen screen for fresh air) and she showers every night before bed to wash out the pollen (this makes a huge difference). All she takes is Nasonex.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
Hi Kyle, my daughter did this. She used to gag, choke and throw up a lot from the PND. We got her allergies under control and she doesn't even have allergy symptoms anymore. She is on shots, we have the house controlled pretty well for dust mites, we keep the windows closed (use a pollen screen for fresh air) and she showers every night before bed to wash out the pollen (this makes a huge difference). All she takes is Nasonex.
I am currently taking Nasonex and Astelin because the membranes in my nose will not stop swelling. It has been like this for 2 weeks and will not go away. I have not noticed any improvement in PND

The Following User Says Thank You to KyleG For This Useful Post:
Freebird96 (10-09-2011)
Old 09-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Probably hasn't been long enough...esp if you are not on an oral antihistamine. The sprays take time to work. Have you tried Zyrtec, Allegra, even benedryl, etc?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Probably hasn't been long enough...esp if you are not on an oral antihistamine. The sprays take time to work. Have you tried Zyrtec, Allegra, even benedryl, etc?
I've never taken Zyrtec (does it work any good?) but I do take allegra almost daily.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would say the allegra isn't working! It isn't controlling the allergies that are causing the PND. Zyrtec does help with mine when it starts up. So does benedryl. I'd say give them a try.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
(male)

ya but no matter what I take it isn't gonna help my problem. I've tried many decongestants and they all do work but they don't stop post nasal drip completely or they make it worse.

What if something is wrong in my oropharnyx and that post nasal drip irritates it or something else? Please I really need info on this so I can get this fixed when I go to the docs again.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

KyleG,
I am having the chronic drainage in my throat also which is why I came here. Lately I've tried Nasonex and Benedryl also claritan allergy. I do have headaches pretty often but never a stuffy nose. It always drains in my throat. I hate the bad breath its causing also. Something is causing this excess mucous but not sure what. I haven't had allergy testing yet. I've found some products on the web that I'm going to try. One is a nasal exstinguisher and some nose "drops". I will let you know how it works.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The mucus terminator or extinguisher is most likely: Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution 0.03% (Nasal Spray).

Known as ipratropium bromide monohydrate, Ipratopium Bromide is an anticholinergic agent. An anticholinergic agent inhibits vagally-mediated reflexes by antagonizing the action of acetylcholine at the cholinergic receptor. In humans, ipratropium bromide has anti-secretory properties and, when applied locally, inhibits secretions from the serous and seromucous glands lining the nasal mucosa. Umm.. that is a bit technical.. in laymans terms. the anticholinergic interferes with the mucus productions sites in your nasal membranes.. shutting some off.. thus reducing mucus production.

Not many MDs prescribe it, but there is no reason in severe cases of PND not to.. you can use it up to four times a day, and as long as you do not have any side effects it works great.. but really tastes nasty.

I used it for three years until my last sinus surgery. Now I have no additional need for it. My main side effect was getting to dry. I had to start using saline gel and saline sprays to allieviate dryness.

What side effects do you need to look out for?
Local effects or systemic anticholinergic effects include (the common side effects 2 out of 100 get one or some of the following): dry mouth/throat, dizziness, ocular irritation, blurred vision, conjunctivitis, hoarseness, cough and taste perversion. Additional anticholinergic effects noted with other ipratropium bromide dosage forms (ipratropium bromide inhalation solution, ipratropium bromide inhalation aerosol and Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Spray 0.06%) include(these are higher dose side effects.. resulting from accidental over dose or inherent system intolerance): precipitation or worsening of narrow angle glaucoma, urinary retention, prostatic disorders, tachycardia, constipation, and bowel obstruction. [Basically if you get to much in you it drys up all your escess fluids]

KyleG, you can probably call and get a script for this without a single question asked.. an ENT or allergist.. or even GP should write it for you with out complaint.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 09-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

I found the name of the products. Its called TheraBreath products. Look it up. Good luck with it.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
(male)

ok my dad is going to try and get what brook mentioned about that nasal spray so I will see how that does.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
(male)

Luis77 HB User
Exclamation Re: Chronic Post Nasal Drip causing gagging

I'm in the same boat here. However, until this year, I have never been allergic to anything. Furthermore, every episode I've had this year has coincided with an Upper Respiratory Infection (URI) at the change of season.

The first occurence last year hit me like a severe chest cold. I've had a URI once a year since forever every winter, but never anything like it before. Aside from the chest pain, the most anoying aspect was the persistent gagging effect from the PND. The mucus was clear, but very thick and sticky. It got worse laying down, and made getting to sleep very difficult. Then the chest pain compounded with nausea. Chest X-rays were clear, and anti-biotics prescribed. Even as the chest congestion was alleviated, the PND persisted along with the gagging, sleeplessness, nausea and loss of appetite. Two weeks of Prevacid helped with the nausea and loss of appetite, but the gagging persisted. My ENT tried several types of allergy medications with no effect. OTC meds like Claritin, Mucinex were also inneffctive. Gastroscopic examination (camera into the stomach) came out clean and lab tests found no viruses. Eventually, after 6 weeks the symptoms gradually subsided.

So, I came to the conclusion that the URI precipitated an allergic response (toxin byproducts), causing the PND. The mucus is so thick/sticky that it sits above the upper palate right above the uvula. This layer interferes with swallowing, causing a gagging reflex. Swallowing can become labored. This effect can be minimal during the typical day, but becomes worse when laying down. Persistent attempts to clear my throat (epectorate/swallow) probably cause a combination of swallowed air/mucus to irritate my stomach.

6 months ago myself and 2 co-workers came down with a respiratory infection that would not go away. 4 courses of antibiotics yielded no reponse. No fever presented, and the initial URI appeared to disappear. But not the chest congestion. A co-worker got an allergy shot along with an antibiotic shot (I can't recall the name, but it hurt for an hour after getting it!) and was well within days. So I asked my doctor for the same course of action with the same result. I should note that I had the same PND/gagging throughout the entire time. However, I did find that prescription Rescon (extended release) tablets competely resolved the gagging, even at half the recommended dosage. I could feel a difference 2 hours after the first dose, and actually got a good night sleep!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis77 View Post
I'm in the same boat here. However, until this year, I have never been allergic to anything. Furthermore, every episode I've had this year has coincided with an Upper Respiratory Infection (URI) at the change of season.

The first occurence last year hit me like a severe chest cold. I've had a URI once a year since forever every winter, but never anything like it before. Aside from the chest pain, the most anoying aspect was the persistent gagging effect from the PND. The mucus was clear, but very thick and sticky. It got worse laying down, and made getting to sleep very difficult. Then the chest pain compounded with nausea. Chest X-rays were clear, and anti-biotics prescribed. Even as the chest congestion was alleviated, the PND persisted along with the gagging, sleeplessness, nausea and loss of appetite. Two weeks of Prevacid helped with the nausea and loss of appetite, but the gagging persisted. My ENT tried several types of allergy medications with no effect. OTC meds like Claritin, Mucinex were also inneffctive. Gastroscopic examination (camera into the stomach) came out clean and lab tests found no viruses. Eventually, after 6 weeks the symptoms gradually subsided.

So, I came to the conclusion that the URI precipitated an allergic response (toxin byproducts), causing the PND. The mucus is so thick/sticky that it sits above the upper palate right above the uvula. This layer interferes with swallowing, causing a gagging reflex. Swallowing can become labored. This effect can be minimal during the typical day, but becomes worse when laying down. Persistent attempts to clear my throat (epectorate/swallow) probably cause a combination of swallowed air/mucus to irritate my stomach.

6 months ago myself and 2 co-workers came down with a respiratory infection that would not go away. 4 courses of antibiotics yielded no reponse. No fever presented, and the initial URI appeared to disappear. But not the chest congestion. A co-worker got an allergy shot along with an antibiotic shot (I can't recall the name, but it hurt for an hour after getting it!) and was well within days. So I asked my doctor for the same course of action with the same result. I should note that I had the same PND/gagging throughout the entire time. However, I did find that prescription Rescon (extended release) tablets competely resolved the gagging, even at half the recommended dosage. I could feel a difference 2 hours after the first dose, and actually got a good night sleep!
interesting

Do you know if this can affect everyone? It is hard for me to figure this out because I have no come across anyone who has described what I feel and I figured that a lot of people with allergies have PND but they never complain about gagging (not the gagging from trying to cough mucous stuck in your throat). Is this normal for PND to affect someone like that?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
(male)

onewithasoul HB User

hey have you ever tried using a netipot or a nasal irrigator ?

Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
(male)

its been months since i posted this thread but I do use a nasal irrigator. I'm still trying to figure out what this is but basically I have a super hyper active gag reflex and when I have a lot of post nasal drip it stimulates my gag reflex a little bit

Closed Thread