It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
(male)

KyleG HB UserKyleG HB User
Re: Can post nasal drip cause stomach problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saverain View Post
What are your allergies, have you been tested for allergies? If not I'd say, first thing get tested.
I had taken an allergy test when I was younger and I am sceduled to do so again next month. I can't remember exactly what I am allergic to but it's basically the regular allergens most ppl have like pollen dust ragweed animal etc

Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #17
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saverain View Post
What are your allergies, have you been tested for allergies? If not I'd say, first thing get tested.
I had taken an allergy test when I was younger and I am sceduled to do so again next month. I can't remember exactly what I am allergic to but it's basically the regular allergens most ppl have like pollen dust ragweed animal etc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #18
(male)

Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution is what I am going to try next. Has anyone ever tried this nasal spray? Has it had any improvement with the PND?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #19
(female)

Amy26 HB User

I have very bad PND as well but I am also a walking allergy... I'm allergic to everything...

It does and will cause stomach issues and give you diahrea ... it doesn't really bother my stomach but it does mess with my intestines. My ENT put me on Veramyst and it seems to be getting better but I'm still swallowing it a lot.

I also have a reflux problem and a deviated septum which is not helping matters either.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #20
(female)

sarasane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
My ENT thinks I have LPR and I am taking Prevacid and Xantac. I have allergies and chronic post nasal drip.

I have had a never ending post nasal drip since I was little I need to know this one thing to possibly determine what exactly is going on.

If I had chronic post nasal drip ever since I was little that is constantly going down into my stomach 24/7 will it cause stomach problems or GERD.

Is there actually EVIDENCE of this. Have studies been done that actually prove this? I really need to know so when I go back to my ENT we can treat this properly.
I don't know if others have mentioned this but the newest GERD drugs act on one of the histamine receptors while antishistamines act on another. So yeah, they're definitely related.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #21
(female)

fight2getbetter HB User

I've been dealing with post nasal drip problems since I was pregnant back in 2006. My whole preg. I was on antibiotics for the whole 6 mths that I was preg. I had my daughter prematurely. I still suffered with this long after the birth. I doctor first though it was my allergies and then acid reflux. I been on several different allergy medical and it did not make a difference. I had an upper GI done Mar 08 and it was determined that I had severe acid reflux and a hiatal hernia. I've been on 5 different medications for get some type of relief but I did not have much luck. I am currently on 80mg Zegerid x2 a day, 300mg zantac x2 a day, and .375mg Hyomax-sr x2 a day. I was still suffering after all of this. I have been on acid reflux medication for over 2 yrs. I was complaining about how my quality of life sucks one day and someone told me to try Super Digestive Enzymes and Papaya Enzyme from GNC and I was see a world of differs. I this point I was willing to try anything. I went directly to the store after work and bought some. After taking the Super Digestive Enzymes I starting burping allot more then normal for the 1st min. but then after that it went away. After about the second day I felt 50% better. Instead of spitting, swallowing hunks of mucus, and blowing my nose all day, it was reduced to just in morning. I've been taking these pills for a week and a half and it has been a life saving. If anyone one have this problem, I recommend using these pills. I was to the point that I refused to have another child because of what I went through and continued to go through long after, but I think I will re-think that position now. I have an appt. set to talk to my doctor to see if I can continue to take these pills while I am preg. I hope this helps everyone. I WANT TO THANK THE LORD FOR PUTTING ME IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. IF I WASN'T FOR THE STRANGER GIVING ME THIS ADVICE, I WOULD STILL HATE WAKING UP EVERYDAY.

Last edited by fight2getbetter; 07-30-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: want to bold and underline some words

Old 07-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #22
(male)

Question Re: Can post nasal drip cause stomach problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight2getbetter View Post
I've been dealing with post nasal drip problems since I was pregnant back in 2006. My whole preg. I was on antibiotics for the whole 6 mths that I was preg. I had my daughter prematurely. I still suffered with this long after the birth. I doctor first though it was my allergies and then acid reflux. I been on several different allergy medical and it did not make a difference. I had an upper GI done Mar 08 and it was determined that I had severe acid reflux and a hiatal hernia. I've been on 5 different medications for get some type of relief but I did not have much luck. I am currently on 80mg Zegerid x2 a day, 300mg zantac x2 a day, and .375mg Hyomax-sr x2 a day. I was still suffering after all of this. I have been on acid reflux medication for over 2 yrs. I was complaining about how my quality of life sucks one day and someone told me to try Super Digestive Enzymes and Papaya Enzyme from GNC and I was see a world of differs. I this point I was willing to try anything. I went directly to the store after work and bought some. After taking the Super Digestive Enzymes I starting burping allot more then normal for the 1st min. but then after that it went away. After about the second day I felt 50% better. Instead of spitting, swallowing hunks of mucus, and blowing my nose all day, it was reduced to just in morning. I've been taking these pills for a week and a half and it has been a life saving. If anyone one have this problem, I recommend using these pills. I was to the point that I refused to have another child because of what I went through and continued to go through long after, but I think I will re-think that position now. I have an appt. set to talk to my doctor to see if I can continue to take these pills while I am preg. I hope this helps everyone. I WANT TO THANK THE LORD FOR PUTTING ME IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. IF I WASN'T FOR THE STRANGER GIVING ME THIS ADVICE, I WOULD STILL HATE WAKING UP EVERYDAY.
wait...so basically these pills you took STOPPED post nasal drip? I have extremely bad allergies which results in alot of post nasal drip. It irritates my stomach and also with my gag reflex which I am going to a doctor next week to see about because my gag reflex is so strong and it gets triggered by the post nasal drip.

So did this pills help in stopping post nasal drip or is it that they helped your stomach not be so sensitive to it?

Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I've had bad year round allergies all my life. For 10 years, I got allergy shots. I got sick of getting them and the expense, so I stopped going. Well, now my allergies are really bad again with the runny nose, PND, slight cough. I also have GERD and believe the 2 are related. Someone referred to their nose running when they eat? That just started happening to me again. It's really annoying. I've been taking 50 mgs. Benadryl at a time. It helps somewhat. If I get really fed up, I'll go see the ENT Dr. That may be happening sooner rather than later!!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have been taking the digestive enzymes as much as I can. I keep them in my purse. They really do help and I would highly recommend them.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

which digestive enzymes do you take?

Old 08-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #26
(female)

footsiedee HB User

GERD, postnasal drip go hand in hand, sometimes with asthma. it is complicated. but have you changed your diet, or done the things regularily recommended by docs for GERD? i finally saw an ear, nose , throat doc. he recommended this new nasal wash that involves placing a packet of premeasured pulmicort granules into distilled water into a special bottle and spraying in the nostrils. he says once i try it i'll never want to 'go back' (to the nasonex i am on) as in addition to the medicine you are moisturizing the sinus's. i put off getting it because i am sick of paying more and more money for stuff not covered on my medical. but i think this week i will get some and try. i dont know if the nasal drip "causes" stomach problems, but the acid reflux does, and they are connected somehow.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #27
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdwards83 View Post
I have been taking the digestive enzymes as much as I can. I keep them in my purse. They really do help and I would highly recommend them.
which digestive enzymes did you take and did they help you with post nasal drip or just acid reflux?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #28
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User

Kyle,

I find myself taking Prilosec and decongestants twice daily its the only way I cn control the PND. If I only take prilosec it doesn' help the lump in the throat sensation but it goes away with the decongestant so I agree. My PND and LPR seem to go hand in hand. Do you experience bad breath? I experience horrible breath from the congestion and the acid reflux. Its gotten slightly better since I started the meds back it gets better daily but without the meds it starts up again. I am unsure how long it takes using both to get rid of it fully but i plan to try 2-3 weeks of using them both, I only feel normal with them both.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #29
(male)

i used to be on some medicine for acid reflux a while ago but I haven't taken any recently. I take an antihistamine once in a while but that usually never stops the PND. I am going to a doctor in philly this friday to figure out why the PND is affecting my gag reflex so much.
I've read in a book about PND and Acid reflux and its a continuous cycle. When the mucous drains into your stomach it isn't easily broken down by acid. If your someone who has allergies or what ever that causes alot of post nasal drip, all that stuff gets in your stomach which causes your stomach to create much more acid than it should eventually causing acid reflux which causes more PND. It is a horrible cycle.

The only way I can see of treating that is to try and get rid of the PND and then treat the stomach. Unfortunetly for me I have really bad allergies but they are under control since I am taking shots but my post nasal drip hasn't stopped or lessened.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:06 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

KyleG-

I agree that the Post Nasal Drip-acid reflux link can be a vicious cycle, but over the last couple of years researchers have discovered that acid reflux (specifically LPR) can be a primary cause of PND. You might try focusing on getting the acid reflux under control to see if controlling the reflux helps lessen the PND, particularly if you have an over-reactive gag reflex.

It may be that the acid reflux is actually a cause of your PND, not the result of it.

Closed Thread