It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
(male)

KyleG HB UserKyleG HB User
Question Can post nasal drip cause stomach problems?

My ENT thinks I have LPR and I am taking Prevacid and Xantac. I have allergies and chronic post nasal drip.

I have had a never ending post nasal drip since I was little I need to know this one thing to possibly determine what exactly is going on.

If I had chronic post nasal drip ever since I was little that is constantly going down into my stomach 24/7 will it cause stomach problems or GERD.

Is there actually EVIDENCE of this. Have studies been done that actually prove this? I really need to know so when I go back to my ENT we can treat this properly.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: Can post nasal drip cause stomach problems?

I think it's very possible. I never had allergies/asthma till the GERD thing. My stomach got better but ended up with the LPR, which is a lot worse than regular acid reflux. I took allergy shots for years and last test showed little allergies but I have constanct PND or sinus problems. I'm just not sure what came first....the allergies or the reflux. I do know the symptoms of LPR are sometimes the same.

Charla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Yes, our doc told us that PND can cause stomach problems. I have also heard that reflux can cause sinus problems. I have never understood this one though. Can the acid get all the way up in your sinuses when you sleep or something? How are you treating your allergies and what are you allergic to?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes.

PND is linked to gastric distress.. even chronic acid reflux... sleep apnea and other sleep disorders.. etc.

To summarize what is going on. When mucus drains into your stomach it triggers the stomach to believe something is there to digest.. then the stomach produces additional acid.. unfortunately.. the mucus just hangs about and does not neutralize the acid. In the case of PND where the acid production is chronic for all us allergy ridden individuals.. the acid can reach such a high level of production that it overflows or refluxes up into your esophagus and airways.. making the PND worse and creating a never ending cycle that often requires sinus surgery in conjunction with acid reflux treatment. Also if your stomach becomes overloaded with acid some people experience loss of appetite because you are full of mucus and/or vomiting to discharge your stomach of the excess mucus burden.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-29-2007 at 05:55 AM.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
(female)

help wanted :( HB User

could PND be respinsible for lots of stomach noise and wind?

Old 09-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
(male)

Saverain HB User

First of all are you sure its your stomach and not your intestines, colon. Do you know why u have PND? It's probably allergies/intolerances to foods. Your probably draining bacause your digestive system is damaged and not digesting your food right. Are you intolerant to dairy and grains? Your digestive system may be damaged because of caffeine, chocolate or spicy foods.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
(female)

help wanted :( HB User

im pretty sure its all 3. no, im waiting for my ENT appointment to try figure that out!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saverain View Post
First of all are you sure its your stomach and not your intestines, colon. Do you know why u have PND? It's probably allergies/intolerances to foods. Your probably draining bacause your digestive system is damaged and not digesting your food right. Are you intolerant to dairy and grains? Your digestive system may be damaged because of caffeine, chocolate or spicy foods.
I do have allergies but even when they aren't bothering me I still have PND. I also have gastro-something (forgot name) where the food doesn't digest properly, my doctor said my digestion was delayed or w/e. Dairy products are said to worsen allergies therefore I do not drink milk anymore but I eat anything else that is dairy with no problem.

None of my doctors mentioned anything of the intestines and colon, and how would those organs even cause this?

Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Intestines and colon with improper bacterial and flora balances can cause bowel issues like gas and bloating. I think that is what was being referred to there. I good way to make sure you are balanced on the back end is fiber and probiotic tablets. Stop the fiber when thins break loose figuratively speaking.. the probiotics can take a month to balance... especially if you have been doing heavy antibiotics. 28 days of Avelox, levaquin, cipro.. they all ripe your GI tract a new one.

SIncerely,
MG

Old 09-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
(male)

Question Re: Can post nasal drip cause stomach problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Intestines and colon with improper bacterial and flora balances can cause bowel issues like gas and bloating. I think that is what was being referred to there. I good way to make sure you are balanced on the back end is fiber and probiotic tablets. Stop the fiber when thins break loose figuratively speaking.. the probiotics can take a month to balance... especially if you have been doing heavy antibiotics. 28 days of Avelox, levaquin, cipro.. they all ripe your GI tract a new one.

SIncerely,
MG
What kind of tests would have to be performed to determine if there is something wrong in the intestines and colon?

Old 09-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
(male)

Saverain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
What kind of tests would have to be performed to determine if there is something wrong in the intestines and colon?
I don't know of any tests, there are signs. Like your bowel movements and what they look like and so forth. Along with your symptoms of running nose after eating foods. I would say stay off of those foods and rebuild the good bacteria in your stomach by eating nonfat plain cultured yogurt with fruit. You can find it at any grocery store. I've been through the whole thing and now my nose doesn't run anymore. What works great is adding in shell mixed nuts to your diet.

Last edited by Saverain; 09-05-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I am sure that they test stool samples for parasites.. and there is the good old fashioned barium swallow 24 hour fasting colonoscopy.. my father had this done for prostate issues. I would try and see if something like probiotics helps you out first. Having the rear end evaluated in another fashion can be invasive and uncomfortable.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 09-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
(male)

Question Re: Can post nasal drip cause stomach problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saverain View Post
I don't know of any tests, there are signs. Like your bowel movements and what they look like and so forth. Along with your symptoms of running nose after eating foods. I would say stay off of those foods and rebuild the good bacteria in your stomach by eating nonfat plain cultured yogurt with fruit. You can find it at any grocery store. I've been through the whole thing and now my nose doesn't run anymore. What works great is adding in shell mixed nuts to your diet.
I never mentioned having a running nose after eating foods. I do not have any food allergies at all.

I was doing some research and thought about the good bacteria being destroyed in the stomach by antibiotics.

I take antibiotics once a year every year since I was a little kid. Now I don't know but, is that normal to take it once a year? Because antibiotics destroy good bacteria and I never really had a diet or did anything specific to replace them (since I was little) is it possible it has done some damage? What kind of damage do you think?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Kyle, the antibiotics just unbalance your normal flora and then your gut doesn't work as well nor your immune system because your gut is where your immune cells are. Just eat yogurt or take probiotics everyday when you are on antibiotics. There is a test to check the flora in your gut. It is a stool analysis. My daughter had it done. I would imagine that only alternative docs would do this test but I am not sure. If you think that your normal flora is out of whack just do what everyone here has been saying - eat yogurt or take probiotics daily.

Last edited by Sannah; 09-07-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #15
(male)

Saverain HB User

What are your allergies, have you been tested for allergies? If not I'd say, first thing get tested.

Closed Thread