It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Has anyone ever noticed histamine blockers (Zantac, Tagamet, Pepcid AC) help allergy?

I have been getting LDA shots which classically switch your symptoms on the way to resolving your allergies. My latest symptoms are bad reflux. I started taking Zantac and now I am noticing that ALL of my allergy symptoms are gone! I know that this med works by blocking the histamine receptors. I also know that my allergies are centered in my gut (immune cells are in the gut, when I take probiotics to increase health of normal flora/gut my allergies improve, and when I take bismuth, as required before the LDA shots my allergies also improve greatly. The bismuth decreases the bacteria counts in your gut). Anyway, just wanted to open a discussion on this because I am really impressed with this.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: Has anyone ever noticed histamine blockers (Zantac, Tagamet, Pepcid AC) help alle

there are two different types of histamine blockers.. H1 which blocks the type of histamine that causes allergic reactions, and H2 which blocks the release or stimulant of the acid pumps in your stomach. They are different meds and one doesn't help the others.
What are your "allergy" symptoms, and is it possible that they are actually related to a problem with your digestion? Acid reflux can cause problems with sinuses, coughing..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Has anyone ever noticed histamine blockers (Zantac, Tagamet, Pepcid AC) help alle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkochic17 View Post
there are two different types of histamine blockers.. H1 which blocks the type of histamine that causes allergic reactions, and H2 which blocks the release or stimulant of the acid pumps in your stomach.
Well, this is useful info, thanks. I am going back to my doc on Monday. He is going to test for Helicobacter Pylori and do a stool culture because I am having problems with yeast overgrowth. This alternative doc has mentioned to me a thing called metabolic allergies (as opposed to genetic). I think this is what he might be talking about. My mixed up gut flora is causing the allergies (gut is where the immune cells are). Sorry, you didn't ask for this info but I just needed to think out loud here!

My symptoms were increased sensitivity to dust mites - stuffy nose (changing pillow cases more often relieved symptoms). After I took the Zantac this increased sensitivity disappeared but I guess it could have been coincidental. (Or it was the reflux that was causing the nasal symptoms or maybe the increased sensitivity?)

I am trying to understand this histamine stuff with the acid pumps. If it is a different histamine why didn't they just call it something else?

Last edited by Sannah; 09-21-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hey! well hopefully the tests will figure it out for you. I deal with yeast overgrowth, but it's due to hormones and taking birth control and doesn't seem to make my allergies worse (but right now it's ragweed season and I feel horrible all over from that!) Maybe the Zantac is calming your stomach and in turn calming your sensitivity versus actually fighting the allergic reaction.

"I am trying to understand this histamine stuff with the acid pumps. If it is a different histamine why didn't they just call it something else?"

"technically" they are labeled as H2 blockers.. but I guess you could distinguish that histamine blockers are Zantac, etc. and "anti-histamines" are your allergy meds like Benadryl. Good luck with your tests and stuff, hope you figure it out!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just got back from my appt. with my alternative doc and he believes that Zantac can help your allergies. These LDA shots that I get which deal with the immune system, well sometimes they use the Zantac right before the shots to jump start the shots because of Zantac's effect on the immune system. Anyway, I am getting tested for H. pylori tomorrow and the doc thinks that the H. pylori can be causing the yeast overgrowth because the bacteria at the top of the GI tract can mess with the bacteria on the other end. We will deal with the top first and then see if the bottom "shapes up".

Aren't anti-histamines blockers too?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just an update. Went to my regular doc today. She told me that yes, Zantac helps allergies. She said that if you go into anaphylaxis and you are in the ER that they give you Zantac through an IV sometimes. She said that Zantac is a H2 blocker and allergies are H1 and H2. She also asked me if I wanted a Proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, etc.) instead of Zantac. I told her that Nexium does not work as well for me and then we realized that it was this antihistamine action of the Zantac that made it better for me. This could be useful info for those who are considering which anti-reflux med to use if they have allergies in addition to reflux.

Closed Thread