It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
(female)

bjz823 HB User
Does a food allergy cause weight gain?

It seems that the days I have something I am allergic to I gain five pounds overnight.

Have any of you noticed this. Is there a connection?

I have just found out I am allergic to soy and wheat. I knew about the wheat because I realized when I started having hives when I had something whole wheat. The soy I didn't realized since it is in everything practically that is packaged and sometimes in small amounts.

Please tell me your experiences. ty

Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Does a food allergy cause weight gain?

My daughter used to have mulitple food allergies. She got some allergy shots for them and now is eating everything. She used to always be a little chubby. After she recovered from her food allergies she is thin now. I always thought that it was fluid. I know that allergies can cause angioedema so maybe this is it, the allergies just cause leaky blood vessels and the fluid escapes into the tissues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
(female)

bjz823 HB User

ty Sannah My blood pressure is up at times when this happens. Especially if it is bad enough that I get a headache.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Sounds like fluid retention to me?....

Last edited by Sannah; 09-27-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
(female)

bjz823 HB User

Yes. I am over weight more than one hundred pounds so I retain water easily. I just got off birth control pills also.

So I just have to be good and make sure i check all labels and omit soy and wheat completely.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Have you had your thyroid checked? And made sure that you are optimal not just with in normal limits? You should roam the thyroid board.. and look at some of the hypothyroid and Hashimoto's posts.. it may be metabolic as a result of a failing or dysfunctional thyroid. I have to exercise excessively (7 mi of cardi, weight training, and martial arts 5 out of 7 days a week) and keep to a 1000-1300 calorie diet to maintain my weight because my thyroid is dying, but isn't dead enough to warrant medication supplementation yet. Thyroid problems can be serious. Don't take the MD's word for it.. get a copy of your labs and the ranges if you get your thyroid tested and post them on they thyroid result.. normal range doesn't mean optimal.. and in many cases the labs have not readjusted the normal TSH range to account for its refinement from .4 - 5.5 of 2002 to .3 - 3. Optimal is about 1.. 2 and higher and you are heading hypothyroid. Thyroid hormone level tests Ft3, T3, Ft4, T4 should be in the 50-80% of the given lab range.. lower and you are hypo.. higher you are hyper. Hypothyroid and the autoimmune disease hashimoto's are classic causes for weight gain when keeping to a strict exercise and diet regime.

Sincerely,
MG

Sincerely,
MG

Old 09-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
(male)

milkmasher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjz823 View Post
It seems that the days I have something I am allergic to I gain five pounds overnight.

Have any of you noticed this. Is there a connection?

I have just found out I am allergic to soy and wheat. I knew about the wheat because I realized when I started having hives when I had something whole wheat. The soy I didn't realized since it is in everything practically that is packaged and sometimes in small amounts.

Please tell me your experiences. ty
Hi, Ty. I like the advice you've been given so far. Just wanted to add a couple thoughts. You say that it "seems" you gain five pounds overnight. I'm not sure based on that whether you've weighed yourself and see that you actually do gain 5 pounds, or whether you just feel heavier. Allergies can cause so many problems, from elevated blood pressure to breathing difficulties to bloating, and a lot of these problems can make you feel like you've temporarily gained weight. You may even drink less water when you're affected by allergy symptoms, which could dehydrate you and cause you to retain more water. I even notice this with my pet allergies -- the breathing problems combined with general malaise just make me feel heavier.

I'm also curious about the allergies themselves. You say you get hives with wheat, which is pretty characteristic of allergy, but you also mention that you didn't realize you had a soy allergy until recently. What brought the soy allergy to your attention? Did you have an allergy test, and if so, what kind? I'm only asking because allergy is so often mixed up with intolerance or other types of hypersensitivity, and constipation, bloating and other digestive issues, while sometimes associated with allergy, are more common with intolerance.

We had a good conversation about this at WEGO Health a couple weeks ago, and since then I've been doing a lot of research on the differences between allergy and other forms of hypersensitivity. There's a lot of confusion on this topic, and there seem to be several allergy tests that are prone to misdiagnosis.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:03 AM   #8
(female)

bjz823 HB User

Yes I have two digital scales in the house and I do gain several pounds in one day often. Once day I gained seven pounds. I got a headache from that and I know my bp was up. My sister gave me a water pill and five came off right away. I drink and eat about the same everyday but I do notice I seem to retain the water I drink if I am drinking more after being busy at work. I know I am retaining water I just don't know for sure what is causing it. I can drop that weight as fast also. I just noticed it happens when I have some flour product.

I have water retention bloating but not digestive distress. My bloating is basically edema. Puffy face, headache and weight gain with the hives.

I had blood work and a complete physical recently and they told me my thyroid tested in the normal range but I will get the actually numbers on Monday and check how high. Ty for mentioning that. I wondered about that also. I think it iis n ormal though

I had the immuncap blood test and tested positive for soy and wheat among others. I suspected soy allergy after having trouble swallowing and noticed soy as an ingredient in the foods I had. It was a small amt in each food so I wasn't sure that was it each time. But then when I had a Genesoy bar I had a major reaction. Rapid pulse hives, etc.... Took two benedryl right away. I had not been eating too many packaged foods or foods with soy in the past. Not until I started eating more did I start seeing a clear problem. So I wonder if the symptoms from a reaction were less obvious when I ate a small amount.

I also wondered whether I have a true allergy or an intollerance. I was told it is a low level allergy for both. I do have hives but not everytime. If I eat a small amount and quit for a few days I might not breakout but I do feel crappy and bloat up a few pounds.

I also wondered if that is the allergy or intollerance making me bloat or could it just be the fact that when I omit the soy and wheat I might be omiting carbs and when I eat flour products I add more carbs. I also wondered if I h ave a problem with insulin resistance at this point. My doctor mientioned that as well and suggested I try the South Beach Diet.

Ty all for your advice and I will look into all suggestions. I will be back with my thyroid levels.

Last edited by bjz823; 09-29-2007 at 04:14 AM.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
(female)

bjz823 HB User

One more thing that is interesting that you mentioned. The fact that some allergy tests are prone to misdiagnosis. Once I can afford to go I will go to an allergist and get a skin test if that is more accurate.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #10
(male)

milkmasher HB User

Thanks for the follow-up information. There are a lot of allergy tests out there that are pretty controversial, but I've actually read pretty good things about immunocap testing. The positive results from that, combined with the allergy symptoms, make me think that you probably do indeed have an allergy. Skin tests are good tests, but from my understanding they have about the same error rate as immunocap, so I don't know if that would be helpful. I think it would be good to talk to an allergist about it, though, especially because it's possible (especially with the hit and miss reactions to soy) that you're allergic to something else in the soy products. An allergist may recommend a double-blind placebo-controlled challenge test, which is the only way to absolutely confirm the specific allergy. These are generally avoided for really severe allergies because they're too risky, but it sounds like challenge testing would probably be safe for your symptoms -- the allergist will be able to make that determination better than I can, obviously.

It sounds like you've already done a lot of research on this problem, and I agree with your theories. Since you're carrying a lot of extra weight, I think there's a good chance you have developed insulin resistance, especially if you've been overweight for a long time. Also, as you say, limiting your carbs can cause water loss, and this lost water weight will quickly be put back on when you take in a lot of carbs, so that, and not the allergies, could very well be the reason for the added weight. In fact, the quick weight loss in the first stage of the South Beach Diet is generally attributable almost entirely to losing water weight, which can easily be gained back with reintroduction of carbs. That's one of the big criticisms of the diet. Despite this, though, I think it's pretty well established that in the long run the South Beach Diet is a great choice for reducing insulin resistance and maintaining a long-term heart-healthy diet. I've actually read some nutrionists' reviews that say to just skip Phase 1.

I'm actually on the South Beach Diet right now. I've always been very skeptical of fad diets, and this is the first one I've tried, but at work I was assigned to do a lot of research on South Beach, and it really made sense to me. I started with Phase 1, though toward the end of the second week I started eating oatmeal for breakfast because the number of eggs I'd been eating was kind of scaring me (I have a history of high blood pressure). Anyway, I'm a month into it, and I don't have a scale, but just judging from the way my clothes fit, I know it's done me a lot of good, and I feel healthier and have more energy. I've also been exercising a lot, though, and one of the other criticisms of South Beach is that it doesn't emphasize exercise enough.

I'm sorry to go so far off topic, but frankly, if you're 100 pounds overweight, I think that's the most important problem for you to address right now. Get to an allergist when you can; avoid foods that make you feel bad; but start working on your weight right now before you have to deal with diabetes and a whole host of other problems. Someone else mentioned impaired thyroid functioning, and I think it's definitely a good idea to look into this more. If you choose to follow a sensible, reduced-calorie diet, and you exercise regularly, but you're still not losing weight, the thyroid could be your problem.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-29-2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
(female)

bjz823 HB User

Ty you for your helpful suggestions and I do agree with you about my weight.

Today I just got back from my Dr to get medical clearance to have surgery for a tubal. She did not give me clearance because my bp was 159/88. It is usually 140/88. Sometimes going a bit lower. I think it is due to my weight and I have been bloating more this week. I need to be good with my diet and really stay away from bread and start walking and get back to a healthy weight.

She started me on Lexipro and in a week they will check it again before surgery. I guess I will have to be on meds until I get my weight down.

My Thyroid tested right in the middle of the range. I did not get the numbers we were mostly talking about my bp but I will get a copy of that test next week.

ty so much for your suggestions.

Closed Thread