It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

Alexandra321 HB User
Allergies/Asthma

Does anyone have asthma that was caused by their allergies? I'm curious because I have horrible hay fever, and sometimes when I wake up in the morning I can feel mucus in my lungs. Also, when I get colds they seem to go to my chest, which I think is a symptom of asthma.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Allergies/Asthma

Neither is necessarily a symptom of asthma. Asthma symptoms are wheezing, inability to take a deep breath, cough, etc. Mucous in your lungs is probably post nasal drip and a lot of reasons can cause a chest cold - not just asthma. If you want a real dx, go see a pulmonologist and be tested for asthma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
(female)

Alexandra321 HB User

I do have post nasal drip. I didn't know it could drip into your lungs, that's interetsing. Thanks for replying.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
(female)

MissyMeg05 HB User

Last year (at the age of 19), I began to start having mild asthma symptoms. At first they were only when I went outside running or mowing the lawn, so my doc said it was probably asthma. This year, it's returned with a vengeance, plus I've got allergy symptoms. I looked online and discovered that asthma symptoms can be a result of hay fever. I think it's mostly mold and mildew, which is common in the fall because of the leaves. (I also have problems in a lot of old buildings with leaky roofs...)

The best description I found for asthma was that you have sensations similar to taking a deep breath, holding it, and then trying to breathe in again. My asthma never really gets to the point where I can't breathe, but I constantly feel like I have to blow out the air in my lungs, and it's just uncomfortable.

I'll tell you one thing though, regardless of whether it's asthma or not, effectively managing your hay fever will make all the difference. As far as the congestion and mucus, I use Mucinex, and it really seems to work for me.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
(male)

milkmasher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra321 View Post
Does anyone have asthma that was caused by their allergies?
Hi Alexandra. To answer your question, yes, I have asthma that is triggered by allergies, and I'm not alone. According to the Mayo Clinic, about 60% of asthma sufferers have allergic asthma. That said, as Titchou mentioned, the symptoms you describe don't necessarily mean asthma. In fact, in the absence of coughing, wheezing, or other asthma symptoms, I'm inclined to think these are probably just symptoms of your allergies.

Again, like Titchou said, it's easy enough to find out whether you have asthma. A pulmonologist can give you a test to confirm or reject the diagnosis. Make an appointment or talk to your general practitioner about it soon. If you do have asthma, you should get the diagnosis as soon as possible so that you can develop an asthma management plan and have any necessary medication that may save your life if you have a bad attack. If you don't have asthma, your doctor should be able to help you alleviate your annoying allergy symptoms.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
(female)

mrsdetroit313 HB User

My asthma was also triggered by allergies. I have been an allergy sufferer my whole life....been on all the drugs before they were over-the-counter. I developed asthma about 3 years ago. I went to the doctor because my allergies had flared up and I was 5 month pregnant. my breathing was SO bad, I had to have 2 breathing treatments in the office and now use 2 inhalers a day. when i have an asthma attack, i can't complete a sentence my chest feels tight and i feel like i just can't get enough oxygen. Then of course there is the whole weezing thing. thank Heavens for albuterol!!! definately talk with your doc........if it is asthma, whether triggered by allergies or not, there are all kinds of meds that could help your breathing problems.

Closed Thread