It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
(female)

Amy26 HB User
Why is my nose always stuffed up ><

Ok, maybe its cause its 3 am and I'm extremely tired and can't sleep...but I'm getting very angry at my nose!

I'm on nasal steriods (veramyst)....claratin d... allergy shots for over a year and atrovert nasal spray.

Why the hell am I still stuffy >< Generally speaking, I can only ever breathe out of one nostral. Grr... I know you all don't have the magical answer but I'm just venting...

My ENT saw I had a deviated septum but that can't be causing my sinuses to be on overload all the time... I have so much post nasal drip that I swallow mucus almost every few seconds. My allergist just gave me a round of prednizone to see if it will clear things up.

Is there some kind of allergen I'm just not aware of? I've been tested for all enviornmental allergens/food allergies and I just had a patch test on my back that was negative for chemicals and rubber...

Why do my sinuses hate me.

Last edited by Amy26; 10-12-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Why is my nose always stuffed up ><

How is your thyroid? You may have an autoimmune issure, where your immune system is malfunctioning and attacking your own body. I have Hashimoto's disease and it is an AI and has been causing me endless years of fun in this regards. Thyroid storms and flares can be serious and deadly. If your allergies appear normal, but you are getting continued responses. You should have the following thyroid blood work done.

TSH
FT3
FT4
T3 Uptake
TPOAb (INDICATOR OF HASHIMOTO'S) and TSI (INDICATOR OF GRAVES DISEASE)

Thyroid disorders run in the family and there is a wealth of information on them. You have been to an ENT have the considered endoscopic window insertion, bilateral turboplasty and septoplasty? These may help some.

Other culprites sleep apnea, and hypopnea, chronic septic topsils... etc.

It is frustrating you have to keep going until you find your solution.

SIncerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Thank you for the reply!

I had blood work done a few days ago to have my thyroid checked... it has been checked in the past but they always told me it was "normal". I will post the results though and see what you guys say.

My allergies actually aren't "normal" ... I'm allergic to nature and animals and molds and all kinds of things. But I was referring to the patch test I had being normal.

My ENT did the scopy thing up my nose... he just said I had a deviated septum and acid reflux problem. I only saw him once and I had a really bad sinus infection according to him. I am going back on Tuesday actually for a follow up.

My ear has also been ringing non stop for a month and a half. So, that's driving me nuts too.

I will definately bring up the things you mentioned though. My allergist told me yesterday that if the round of steroids she gave me doesn't make my ear stop ringing and bring me some relief, I'd have to go to a neurologist.

Last edited by Amy26; 10-12-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

after MANY (ALL) allergy meds....OTC and prescription.....i have found something that works for my 13 year old daughter. she is CONSTANTLY full of nose congestion. i decided to try mucinex D.......it worked like a charm. after a few days of being fine, she quit taking it...the next day?? congested all over again!! so she took it til she finished it. wasnt long...til congestion started all over again. knowing that is one that you have to get from the pharmacist and have to sign for...and you can only get it once every 30 days......i called her allergist and had them to call her in the generic brand of it. it lasted her from july til a couple of weeks ago. she only takes it for a few days at a time, then "tests" things to see if she has to continue, or if she can stop....if shes lucky to be able to stop taking it....she doesnt take it anymore until she gets congested again. to me....thats her "allergy meds"!! forget all that other crap that doesnt work! i can always tell when she misses taking a dose of the mucinex...it really works great.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Thanks. I actually recommended muscinex to someone else. I have to be careful with decongestants because I have high blood pressure.

I'm actually on claratin-d at the moment but nothing seems to work. It will get better but I'm always stuffy to some degree.

And I hate these stupid nose sprays cause I just blew my nose to a bunch of bloody boogars... blah.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
(male)

thfc2006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy26 View Post
My ENT saw I had a deviated septum but that can't be causing my sinuses to be on overload all the time... I have so much post nasal drip that I swallow mucus almost every few seconds. My allergist just gave me a round of prednizone to see if it will clear things up.
Amy

A deviated septum could well be causing one of your nostrils to feel more 'blocked' than the other.

My left side has been considerably worse than my right for a few years now. Had surgery in March to realign the septum (amongst other things) and seems to have helped a little.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Was the surgery worth the "helped a little"?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
(male)

thfc2006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy26 View Post
Was the surgery worth the "helped a little"?
Absolutely. I've been off antibiotics now for 2 1/2 weeks - the first time in several years.

Feeling a "little" better is all I was hoping for as my sinuses have been screwed for years. So I was never expecting any miracles.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
(female)

slcangel HB User

This may seem like a shot in dark to you but have you considered ridding your house of any toxic chemicals? Examples: cleaners (especially bleach),air fresheners (these are HORRIBLE for allergies),Lysol (another bad toxin.....it kills germs but also hurts the respiratory system) etc. I got rid of all that and my son doesn't have to take Claritin anymore. He had congestion and was always sniffing. Just a thought if you've tried everything else.

"I can do anything through Him which strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13

Old 11-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
(female)

creinha HB User

I went through the same thing for years. Terrible post nasal drip! I went through all the drugs, allergy shots, and nasal washes too. My allergist said my deviated septum wasn't bad enough to cause me any problems. Then I had an appointment with an ENT who said it could cause my problems. I had a Septoplasty as well as a Turbinectomy and I have not had the problem with the post nasal drip since. It was the best thing I ever did.

The only problem I've been having lately is with the Allegra. I use it to predose for my allergy shots. Lately I feel bad after I take it - like I'm allergic to it.

Closed Thread