It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

Amy26 HB User
Nose Sprays Causing Bloody Nose

Hi hi! Quick question... I have really really bad allergies (as some of you probably know from my other posts) and no matter what kind of pills I take... be it decongestants or allergy medicine... nothing ever clears up my nasal passages except nose sprays.

The problem is... I get very bad reactions from nose sprays... I was on Astelin at one point and it worked great but caused like 10 other problems.

Currently, my ENT put me on Veramyst and my allergist put me on Adovert or something like that... I can't remember the name. Well, it makes my nose bloody. Not like free flowing or anything... but every time I blow my nose there is blood on the tissue and I get bloody bugars.

My question is, is this really a bad thing? I told my allergist about it and she wanted me to stop the nose sprays and take the Ayr Saline Gell stuff to make the bleeding stop.

I really cannot tolerate my nose being clogged all the time. Its the worst when I wake up in the mornings and I usually can't sleep as much as I want to because of it. So, would it be terrible to keep using the Veramyst even though its making my nose bleed?

Last edited by Amy26; 10-24-2007 at 06:55 AM.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Nose Sprays Causing Bloody Nose

Have you tried just a plain saline spray? And then you might consider allergy injections...since other meds don't seem to work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
(female)

Amy26 HB User

I have been on allergy shots for over a year.

Saline spray does not clear up congestion, it moistens a dry nose.

I just want to know if continuing with the spray with it causing the blood will have any harmful effects on me.

Last edited by Amy26; 10-24-2007 at 08:03 AM.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

most give me a bloody nose as well.. have you tried Flonase or Nasonex? I find both of them to be pretty gentle, but I still have a hard time with long-term use of nose sprays.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Yes, I've tried almost every nose spray available. At one point she even gave me an inhaler with a nipple on it to squirt up my nose. The only one that seemed to work well was a Rhinocort aqua nasal inhaler. It was wonderful... then they changed the formula and took the inhaler off the market. ><

Like I used 1 spray in each nostril of the veramyst this morning... my nose is still clogged...but I'm breathable. I don't think I've been able to breathe normally for years.

So, is the nose bleeding thing detrimental to my health or can I just ignore it?

Last edited by Amy26; 10-24-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

I have been on Nasonex for 7 months now and my doctor said if I get any bleeding to stop for a few day and that it would be OK to start again... Mandy

Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy26 View Post
I have been on allergy shots for over a year.

Saline spray does not clear up congestion, it moistens a dry nose.

I just want to know if continuing with the spray with it causing the blood will have any harmful effects on me.
I clears my congestion so that's why I suggested it. The problem with most nasal sprays for congestion only is that they have a rebound effect. In other words, after a while they bring on the symptoms you are trying to get rid of.
I suggest either: switch to Nasalcrom (it was designed to get people off Afrin) or a neti pot. Since you just want to get rid of the congestion ( you didn;t complain about your allergies bothering you), the neti pot should work wonders for you.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 AM   #8
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD MAZ View Post
I have been on Nasonex for 7 months now and my doctor said if I get any bleeding to stop for a few day and that it would be OK to start again... Mandy
Cool thanks... I'm gonna just use it when I really need it and try the ayr saline thing to keep the area moisturized.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

i don't know why they always take good products off the market, its like they want us to be supper sick so they give us meds that over a long period of time will cause searious problems, so they can give us more meds.

I too get not nose bleeds, but every time I blow my nose there is always a little red in it. I use flonase, and I don't use it all the time, only when i'm really bad. the thing is you have to know when to say, "yeah this sucks, but do I really need meds? no I can live with it" if you use to much nose sprays it slowly (very slow) eats the lining of you nose. which over time will cause the nose bleeds even if you are not usuing it. and could cause scare tissue. however the fact is there are not alot of people with that damage yet, as its not common, and many people are only starting to take this stuff regular.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 AM   #10
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Yea, I can relate to your story. I used to be able to tolerate my allergies. Cause I can't stand taking medication... they give you medication for one thing and it causes 10 other things then you take more medication for the 10 other things... yuck!

My allergies used to be tolerable during the year and then only really bad in April and May but over the years, they just kept getting worse and worse. Then I developed an allergy to my cats and everything has gone downhill from there.

I really can't take it without meds... I get to the point where I can't breathe...sneezing constantly... I sneezed in bed for like 30 mins one night once. Its my sinuses that bother me the most. I just can't figure out why on allergy shots, allegra, & nose sprays that my nose is still clogged.

I need to go back to the ENT but I'm dealing with some other health stuff right now.... ug.... I just wanna be healthy.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

I don't have severe allergies but mainly sinusitis. I usually use nasonex every night (helps with my morning congestion). With winter upon us i've had more bloody nose/snot this year than usual. I hate it..even if i blot my nose when eating hot foods i get a little blood. I tried laying off the nasonex a few days but i think i felt better with using it and having a bloody nose.

I have a log for various things..allergy symptoms, hormones/migraines. With the barometric pressure rising and temp dropping my face/sinus area just HURTS! of course the doc says if i use decongestants more than a couple fo days a week i'll have rebound congestion. Saline helps but only temporarily. I've even resorted to putting vaseline around the inside edges of my nose. Most of the time i can breathe fine, no real congestion just pain and dryness. I've thought of trying the irrigation but can't seem to get up the nerve to try it.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

AMY26-

Don't know if you're still monitoring this post but thought 3 things might be helpful. First of all, you mention that Rhinocort worked for you and I wanted to make sure you know that they didn't take it off the market, they just reformulated it so that it's not an aerosol - Rhinocort AQ is still available (by prescription) it's what I use - I've tried several others and it definitely works the best for me. I too sometimes get some minor bleeding and just take a break for a day or two and that seems to work.

Have you tried Sudafed (the original with pseudoephedrine) tablets - those work pretty well for me also but I know they make some people really wired (I wouldn't bother with the reformulated Sudafed PE - there's some question as to whether the reformulated PE products work at all as a decongestant)

Finally, I saw the response below and wanted to clear something up - steroid nasal sprays (Rhinocort, Flonase, etc.) DO NOT HAVE A REBOUND EFFECT. The sprays that cause the rebound effect are sprays like Afrin that contain oxymetazoline. There is some question as to whether a preservative called benzalkonium chloride that is used in some steroid sprays and even some saline sprays can contribute to the rebound effect but it's somewhat controversial (and Rhinocort doesn't contain either, another reason I like it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The problem with most nasal sprays for congestion only is that they have a rebound effect. In other words, after a while they bring on the symptoms you are trying to get rid of.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
(female)

Amy26 HB User

Hey there... yea, I still poke around here.

Yea, I know they reformulated the Rhinocort... that's why I am mad. I needed the aerosal one. It was awsome having a nasal inhaler... it didn't bother my sinuses at all and worked well. They also made it no longer water based. The reformulated one does the same stuff to me that all the other ones do.

I've had to stop taking nose sprays completely now... I'm not sure why every single nose spray I try makes my nose bleed. I get bloody boogars... nose bleeds when I blow it... Astelin worked really well for me but it had so many side effects it wasn't worth the clear nose.

I have tried sudafed... it does make me loopy. I can take Mucinex and that usually clears me up but it doesn't last long...maybe 4-6 hours. I think I'm gonna have to have sinus surgury.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Bummer that the new formulation of Rhinocort doesn't work for you.

All of the steroid sprays shrink the tissues in your sinuses - which is good most of the time - but if your sinuses get dried out they can get little spots that bleed and the anti-inflammatory action of the sprays seem to keep those little spots from healing completely.

Does your ENT have you using saline irrigation to help moisturize and clean the junk out of your sinuses? That might help.

Before you take the leap on surgery please make sure they've tried all of the medical options, 'cause the surgery will only be a temporary fix if there's another underlying problem.

Good luck!

Closed Thread