It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
(male)

enzsigep HB User
Recently Diagnosed with an Allergy to Brewers Yeast. HELP plz.

Im 21 years old, and ive been drinking alcohol since i was 18 years old. A week ago i drank too much and i was a mess...i was very intoxicated. Well the next night a friend came over who i havent seen in a long long time. So we poured a whiskey and coke. I started sipping on this drink. 20 minutes go, we are chit chatting and i eat some doritos. About 5 minutes later my throat closes up, i have hives all over and i feel like im going to pass out. so i get some bennadryll and pop two. (i have no other allergies except for like seasonal BS pollen, mold the usual.) so a week goes by and my allergies have been acting up like crazy, i just assumed it was the weather changing since thats when it usually happens. well i drank again the next weekend..and my sinuses were going nuts... i didnt get drunk and i didnt go into anaplhyactic shock or anything. So i went to the allergist today and she did the food test on my back and she said on a scale of 1-4+(4 being absolutely deadly) I have a 2+ allergy to brewers yeast. This sucks so much i cant explain.....well it could be worse, but Im in college and i enjoy the taste of beer and whiskey and so on. Its just so weird that it came on like that. now i have a few questions, and i would really appreciate some insight.

1. should i get a second opinion?
2.are there any alcohols that are safer to drink than others with this allergy. because ive heard that some vodkas are made from potatoes or whatever and its safer for this. Also it was poor quality whiskey i was drinking...could it be because it wasnt distilled enough or something?

I assum whiskey and beer and wine is out which sucks cause thoses are my favorite, but im wondering about like vodka,gin,rum,jagermeister.

I guess if its no more alcohol forever i can deal with it, i just want to make sure before i throw in the towel .

Last edited by enzsigep; 11-21-2007 at 10:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Recently Diagnosed with an Allergy to Brewers Yeast. HELP plz.

Wine doesn't have yeast in it, although I'm fairly sure all beer does. Not sure about spirits, anyone?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
(male)

enzsigep HB User

I thought Wine still uses yeast in the fermentation process? anyone?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I do not have the enzyme to process alcohol and I am allergic to Brewer's Yeast. It is not the end of the world. All beer is out. Certain breads will give you issues. Wine uses yeast and enzymes in processing.

As any spirit production starts with fermentation, it's possible that some traces of yeast may make it into the final product. However, distilling will tend to remove almost all of the yeast, making spirits the safest alcoholic drinks you'll find. Whether or not you can drink them safely depends on just how bad your allergy is.

A few points to keep in mind:
* The more thoroughly the drink is distilled and filtered, the safer the drink will be for you. Vodka and gin are probably the best to start with.
* Some liqueurs (and other spirits) do have wine or other fermented products added to them. Some spirits are aged in used wine/fortified wine barrels.

Now if you have wheat or grain allergies.. you get into a whole different ball of wax.

I go non-alcoholic and am preferred as the designated driver. Also it is fun watching everyone else get wasted and act like fools. Just staying sober and watching those drunk can be a pleasure with out the morning angsts of over indulgence. College can be fun and an unforgetable experience if you do not drink. Drinking isn't everything.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
(male)

enzsigep HB User

Well. From what it seems, i am not affected by expensive vodka or crown royal.

But i had a half glass of wine, on christmas eve and bam another allergic reaction. any thoughts?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Stick to the distilled liquors, I'd say, especially the expensive ones that are distilled multiple times, and stay away from wine or beer. Distilling removes a lot of impurities, including, apparently, the ones that bother you!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
(female)

mssmurfette HB User

you can drink rum

Closed Thread