It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Swollen red scaley eyelids

My eyelids have been swollen, red, itchy, dry and scaley for a few months now, on and off. If I open my eyes wide, the eyelid skin actually gets wavy and scrunched together. It doesn't matter if I wear eye makeup or not, it just comes and goes. My right eye is worse than the left and I'm starting to get a red dry patch under my right eye. I wear contacts and it hurts when the skin flakes into my eye. I asked my eye doctor (at a lenscrafters type of place) about it this summer and she gave me a prescription called erythromycin ophthalmic ointment, it doesn't help. The only thing that helps temporarily is to soak my eyes with a warm washcloth and to apply a little aveeno lotion.

Would it be better to see a dermatologist, GP or eye doctor about this? I'm tried of looking 20 years older than I already am! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Swollen red scaley eyelids

I would go to a dermatologist first. It could be many things. Even if you don't wear eye make up all the time, it could be that. The effects can last for days! At least they do on me....I can only wear one brand of eyeshadow as a result. Also, the fumes from a perm once did that to my eyelids...so it could be fumes from something and your lids are just very sensitive. You might try a cortizone cream. It should help. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

my mom has had this. She was given hydrocortisone cream to put on it. Just a thin layer and you could only do it for so many days. I would definitely go to the dermatologist.. I can't remember if my mom was allergic to a makeup or moisturizer.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
(female)

Mossflower HB User

If memory serves me correctly, erythromycin ophthalmic is an antibiotic - sometimes used for pink eye infections.

You can get daily allergy eye drops for this - I would get it checked out by a doctor to make sure its not an infection - but there are drops for contact lens wearers called Patanol and Pataday that are very good. Else, you can use a general OTC allergy drop.

I get this once in a while during allergy season and I just use a little hydrocortisone cream on it- not much and not enough to get in my eyes. I use it day and night. It helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
My eyelids have been swollen, red, itchy, dry and scaley for a few months now, on and off. If I open my eyes wide, the eyelid skin actually gets wavy and scrunched together. It doesn't matter if I wear eye makeup or not, it just comes and goes. My right eye is worse than the left and I'm starting to get a red dry patch under my right eye. I wear contacts and it hurts when the skin flakes into my eye. I asked my eye doctor (at a lenscrafters type of place) about it this summer and she gave me a prescription called erythromycin ophthalmic ointment, it doesn't help. The only thing that helps temporarily is to soak my eyes with a warm washcloth and to apply a little aveeno lotion.

Would it be better to see a dermatologist, GP or eye doctor about this? I'm tried of looking 20 years older than I already am! Thanks.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I finally went to the dermotologist today, of course he can't say for sure what it is... either allergies or psoriasis. He gave me samples of Protopic ointment, I just used it and I'm not too happy at the moment, my eyes seem redder and feel itchier than w/o the ointment. I'll give it a chance though.

The main reason I waited so long to go to the doc is because I figured they wouldn't know what it is.... and he told me that a big cause of eye allergies is fingernail polish. I've been using that for 30+ years on and off.

I also asked him if I can become allergic to something I've been using all my life, he said yes it happens and sometimes companies change the compounds that they've always used.... Why can't they leave well enough alone! I sure wish I knew what changed 6 to 9 months ago that is causing me these eye problems..... if this new ointment works out, I'll let you all know. Sweet un-itchy dreams everyone!

Last edited by SanyBelle; 01-17-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
(female)

Mossflower HB User

Sometimes it takes a little while for the meds to work. My eyes have finally cleared up and I no longer need the Pataday eye drops. It took about a month though, and I didnt wear my contacts for about 5 weeks to let things calm down, as rec'd by my doc.

I'm so glad that you went. Protopic is supposed to be very good; if youre not getting relief within 5-7 days, call the doc - they can phone in a new script for you or give you samples.

Good luck I really hope you feel better soon. Itchy eyes are just the worst I totally feel for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I finally went to the dermotologist today, of course he can't say for sure what it is... either allergies or psoriasis. He gave me samples of Protopic ointment, I just used it and I'm not too happy at the moment, my eyes seem redder and feel itchier than w/o the ointment. I'll give it a chance though.

The main reason I waited so long to go to the doc is because I figured they wouldn't know what it is.... and he told me that a big cause of eye allergies is fingernail polish. I've been using that for 30+ years on and off.

I also asked him if I can become allergic to something I've been using all my life, he said yes it happens and sometimes companies change the compounds that they've always used.... Why can't they leave well enough alone! I sure wish I knew what changed 6 to 9 months ago that is causing me these eye problems..... if this new ointment works out, I'll let you all know. Sweet un-itchy dreams everyone!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossflower View Post
Protopic is supposed to be very good..
So far so good, the Protopic seems to be awesome! I didn't wear makeup much last week and don't have to this coming week (light work schedule) so I'll be interested to see how my eyes are doing the week of Jan 28th when I'm back to client facing work full time and will be wearing makeup daily. I'll let you know!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You might want to switch to a non-allergenic eye shadow. The only brand I can wear is Prescriptives. All others make my eyelids flake....and especially bad if a pink or purple shade. You might also try putting foundation on your llids and then loose powder before putting the eye shadow on. It will act as a buffer as well as a base that will keep it from creasing in your lids and wearing off.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, I'll try the Prescriptives..... it gives me a reason to go shopping... like I need a reason.

Closed Thread