It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

Poppet65 HB User
Living With Food and Mold Allergies - How to beat Anaphlaxis

Hi, this is my first post. I'm looking for threads about mold allergies.
I have severe anaphylaxis when exposed to mold, and last night had
an episode after eating six Harry and David chocolate covered cherries.
It didn't occur to me that dried fruit would fit in the mold category
but it's full of mold! The aspergillus is buried within dried fruit, so
parents with children who have food allergies should take into
consideration that they should eliminate rasins, fruit rolls and dates,
as well as cheeses, mushrooms and breads containing yeast.

Right now I'm looking for a way to purchase an Epipen because I've
had four anaphylactic episodes over the last two years, and last
night's was life threatening. It's made me realize that I need to be
more careful about what I eat and where I can travel. Sadly, while
I love Hawaii, the islands are full of mold spores, and it turns out
that Macadamian nuts contain high levels of aspergillus *****.
Oh! And be careful of the food additive called BEANO. I'm vegeterian
and have put drops of Beano into soups and stews, unaware that
the first ingredient is aspergillus ***** (which led me into an allergic
reaction).

Since I was unable to get to an emergency hospital last night,
and my doctors were unavailable, and I was without an Epipen,
I did some fast acting before fainting... I took a dose of SUDAFED
and backed it up with Maalox. Always have these over the counter
medicines in your cabinet. I'm allergic to Benadryl so have to use
Sudafed, and the antacid calms cramping.... I forget what else
it does, but when in combination with an antihistimine, it helps
the antihistimine do a better job. My doctor prescribed Pepcid
along with Zyrtec when recovering from a previous allergic
reaction. Pepcid is 60% cheaper over the counter than as a
prescription.

Is anyone else here allergic to mold?

Best wishes,
Poppet

Last edited by Poppet65; 12-14-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

Vickie306 HB User
Re: Living With Food and Mold Allergies - How to beat Anaphlaxis

Your allergic to benadryl? Really? What happened when you took it?

Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
(male)

flickfire HB User

I'm very allergic to molds too, I try to avoid all the foods that contain it(which is very hard to do at times). I take zantac, albuterol, and claritin(reditabs) for my multiple allergies. I've never heard of a sudafed/maalox combo working for a severe allergic reaction, but I guess different meds work well for different people.

I hope you you do get your hands on some epi pens pretty soon. It sounds like you need them.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
(female)

Poppet65 HB User

what happens to me when I come into contact with Benadryl? Anaphylaxis. Seriously. I've been put in hospital two times for it.... didn't know I was killing myself with the antihistimine which the hospital used to treat my allergic reaction. It's very rare but some people are allergic to ingredients in Benadryl....

and yes, mushrooms are great but they're all mold based.... i think even tomato yields mold

and, yay, I got my Epipen. Going to now look into the ingredients for Harry and David's Bing Cherries... the salespeople said it was natural dried so I didn't think there was a risk with sulfites. The packaging just said "dried cherries" but there's the chance it was processed with sulfites which I'm allergic to..... lesson learned: not everything on lables is accurate. Plus the chocolate cherries have dyes, Red 40 Lake and Blue 01.

thanks for writing back

Old 12-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

I took a dose of SUDAFED and backed it up with Maalox. Always have these over the counter medicines in your cabinet. I'm allergic to Benadryl so have to use Sudafed, and the antacid calms cramping.... I forget what else
it does, but when in combination with an antihistimine, it helps
the antihistimine do a better job.
Crazy that mold causes you so many problems and that you're allergict to Benadryl...one important thing for you to know - Sudafed is not an antihistamine - it's a decongestant only...it's a mild stimulant (which I guess could mimic the affects of an epi-pen but at a low level), but you might want to try over-the-counter generic Claritin (loratadine) if you're looking for an affordable antihistamine.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppet65
what happens to me when I come into contact with Benadryl? Anaphylaxis. Seriously. I've been put in hospital two times for it.... didn't know I was killing myself with the antihistimine which the hospital used to treat my allergic reaction. It's very rare but some people are allergic to ingredients in Benadryl....
You mean within minutes of taking it you started having breathing trouble? OMG that must have been horrible. You take something to stop an allergic reaction...and it makes it worse? I have to run this by my allergist. I had a horrible reaction to a payday candy bar 9 months ago...and my allergist told me to carry disolving benadryl strips and an epi pen.....even though my skin scratch tests and the blood work showed ZERO response when exposed to peanuts. Go figure.

Now I would be terrified to take a benadryl for fear that I would be allergic to it!!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
(female)

sharewithme HB User

Greetings All:

I can really relate to what you are going thru poppet65, i am anaphylactic to mold and had to carry epi pen for quite some time. 2 years ago went in to shock from under skin allergy test, have been anaphylaxic ever since. interesting note: I am also allergic to benedryl since childhood. Curious, are you allergic to penecillin?

Mold in food is serious stuff. i kept getting sick, couldn't figure out why, turns out mold in food. a big one for me is rice flour, found in many supplements. huge difference since stopped all sources of it. no more juices, no dried fruits, almost no cheese, no peanuts, no tomato products, no vinegar, almost no wheat products, uhh, having hard time remembering everything, am really tired, will come back with more info later if needed. point is, must eliminate all sources of mold in food & used in processing. All dried stuff is high, like herbs and teas also, peanuts for me is mold on them, not the peanut itself. since made these changes, have improved so much is phenomenol!!!! everybody notices how much better i look and sound, even people who just see me in stores, etc, comment on it. can't encourage you enough to make these changes. am really worried about you -- biggest problem now is you are super hot with allergies, need allergy fire to cool off as you are very susceptible to take big mold hit! glad you are aware of this now, will really help you to heal. takes huge toll when always sick, doesn't it?

Take heart, I am so much improved and use no drugs. nothing. not to say you shouldn't, just encouraging you that there is light at end of tunnel.

have you tested living space and car for mold? work space okay? you know that fibers like clothing carry mold spore, right? will keep you sick!

For me, what has worked for significant healing/staying well is = faith/knowing that I can heal; keeping away from mold in all forms -- alive, dead, mycotoxins/aflotoxins/tricothocenes; detoxing; lots of fresh air/sunshine on a regular basis; right supplements; allergy diet/wholesome foods; low chemicals; sound sleep; prayer; good Dr.; support from others who understand.

I am thankful for my healing. will pray for yours.
in peace,
S-

Old 12-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
(female)

glynis_girl HB User

Tagamet is also a very good histamine receptor blocker. I was given that in the ER and also for a week at home. It helped more than the Benadryl helped me.

Closed Thread