It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

dfakhry HB User
Weird Allergy Test Results - I am really confused

Dears
I just did blood allergy test for my one year old son and i discovered he has severe allergies to the following:
Soy, Wheat, eggs, milk, carrots, sweet potatoes
This is the strangest thing in the world coz my son is taking soy formula since he was 4 months old and he daily takes wheat cerial, carrot sauce and sweet potatoes and he does not react to them!!
On the other hand, the report states he has allergy to milk and eggs but on a scale of 6, the allergy for milk and eggs is milder than that of soy!!!! whenever he takes a very tiny amount of milk or eggs he develops a severe reaction, vomiting and rash!!! the report is totally against what we expected and the lab is sure that the results are correct. The allergist said that the report counts the number of antibodies he has for these food items and he might have severe allergy against soy but does not develop reactions to it!!!
his doctor said he never saw something like this before and he told me to continue giving soy, wheat, carrots and sweet potatoes
am soooo confused, desperate and does not know any scienctific explanation for this
please advice

Old 12-24-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: Weird Allergy Test Results - I am really confused

Hi, I'm not sure how much help I'm going to be but I'll share some things with you. My son who is now 5 at testing done at age 2. He was definitley reacting to something but all tests came back negative. Our allergist at the time said that allergy testing on such a young child is often inaccurate, simply because of their age.
Now I just took him again at age 5 and he came up positive for ALOT of things, some of which we knew and were obvious but others like nuts and soy also came back positive and he does not have any reaction when he eats these things, also cats came up a very strong positive but this one is obvious as he can't be around them without suffering. Also we were told that the blood test is not as reliable as the test where they actually inject the allergen under the skin.(this is what we did, because we really needed to know about some things). This is painful, so they gave us a numbing cream to put on the area an hour before testing and it was still painful so I guess it depends how bad you really need to know. He also had other skin tests (light *****) but again, not as reliable as actually injecting. Good luck to you and your little one. Also with the injection or skin test, you can see the results with your own eyes because the skin gets a raised, itchy, sometimes painful bump at the injection sight if the child is allergic to that substance. I hated putting my son through this but it was easier to believe when I saw it with my own eyes.

Last edited by kdel; 12-24-2007 at 03:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2007, 04:01 AM   #3
(female)

dfakhry HB User

Thank u Kdel
I have a question, can I know that my son is allergic to a specific food and still keep giving him the food since he does not react to it? is this safe and fine??

Old 12-24-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Well that's not a decision I can make for you but I can tell you that even though my sons tests came up positive for soy and nuts, he still eats stuff that contain these ingredients (soy is in everything!) and I let him because he doesn't have any reactions. He does not however eat JUST nuts or peanut butter (he hates peanut butter and nuts). The decision is up to you. Our allergist told us that as long as he doesn't react he can have it but to watch because it can at any time suddenly have an effect on him.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
(female)

mssmurfette HB User

My husband had allergy testing and nothing came up and he is having bad reations to corn. My most severe allergy is soy and my sisters is milk I mean bad ones and they didnt show up on our skin tests either. I do not trust allergy testing I think the only real way to tell is to stay off the food for 3 weeks and then put it back in. Good luck

Closed Thread