It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
(female)

Sarah500 HB User
Is dizziness sign of allergic reaction??

I am wondering if I have an adult-onset allergy to soy. Shortly after switching from cow's milk to soy milk, and increasing the soy in my diet (moving more toward vegan, I've been somewhat of a vegetarian for years), I started having weird feelings and reactions. They usually came up after eating, and the first one happened when I was drinking a banana shake, made with soy milk. I'd get sudden feelings like I was going to pass out, like I could feel my blood pressure going way low. Sometimes I'd feel dizzy (hard to walk at times even), sometimes I experienced vertigo (room spinning). All of the times I'd get these feelings, from my observations, was after eating/drinking something with soy in it. BUT, I never got any rashes, my throat didn't swell. I didn't really notice any other typical signs of an allergic reaction. Plus, sometimes I could eat processed foods with soy as an ingredient in some form, and not be bothered. I've never had any of these feelings, that I particularly remember, up until about 8 weeks ago. Since then I've stopped drinking soy milk and stopped eating most foods with soy (at least as a high ingredient). And I haven't experienced any of those really bad reactions since then (a couple small reactions, after eating something at a restaurant where I didn't know the ingredients). BUT, I did go to the dr. and she didn't seem to give a soy allergy a second thought. She attributed all of this to low thyroid (just obtained from a blood test they did when I went to the dr. after a week of the strange feelings).
Anyway, just curious if anyone who's had experience with allergies, and specifically food allergies, would think that my symptoms would support a possible adult-onset soy allergy....or if perhaps it is the thyroid and the connection to soy is just coincidental. ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Is dizziness sign of allergic reaction??

Try eating soy after going without it for a while. If your symptoms return, it's a good sign soy may be the cause.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

mssmurfette HB User

Hey! Dizziness and sometimes even low blood pressure are things I get from my food allergies all the time. If I were you I would totally go off of soy for 3 weeks and then go back on it and see what happens. That is the only true way to find out an allergy. I dont believe in allergy testing at all because my worst allergy same with my sisters dont show up on the tests. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Dizziness can be caused by many things.....Migraines, allergies, inner ear disorder, anemia and so on......I would get it checked out!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssmurfette View Post
Hey! Dizziness and sometimes even low blood pressure are things I get from my food allergies all the time. If I were you I would totally go off of soy for 3 weeks and then go back on it and see what happens. That is the only true way to find out an allergy. I dont believe in allergy testing at all because my worst allergy same with my sisters dont show up on the tests. Good luck!
did you have the allergy blood testing done too....or just the skin scratch test for your allergies?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
(female)

mssmurfette HB User

I did the skin scratch test and also on where you take drops of your blood and put them on test strips...but no blood draw.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssmurfette View Post
I did the skin scratch test and also on where you take drops of your blood and put them on test strips...but no blood draw.
Oh I see....I too was tested and both skin scratch and Immuno Cap tests were completely negative. My bloodwork was a draw though....sent to a lab in Utah if I remember correctly.

Closed Thread