It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Skin allergic reaction to antibiotics

I have a horrible rash all over my face and neck. I just stopped taking the doxycycline a day ago. Has anyone else had a reaction to antibiotics like this? I'm going to go to the dermatologist if the reaction isn't cleared up by next week but ugggghhh it's killing me it itches so bad and looks horrible.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Skin allergic reaction to antibiotics

I had a similar reaction to Biaxin several years ago - the best thing to take for the allergic reaction is Benadryl (it will make you tired) - it will help with the reaction and the itching.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Thank you for the response.

How long did your reaction last after you stopped taking Biaxin? Do you think the Benadryl helped the reaction go away faster?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It's been a while since I had the reaction but my recollection is that it took 3 or 4 days for the rash to disappear completely...the Benadryl definitely helps it go away faster because it's an antihistamine that inhibits the allergic reaction - typically it takes a couple of days for all of the antibiotics to get out of your system so you may need to take the Benadryl for a couple of days.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

You should see your doc regarding this as well as taking Benedryl. If you ever take Biaxin again (or even Erythromycin which is in the same family) you could have an anaphlyactic reaction. This reaction could kill you.

Please be aware of any antibiotics in the same class as Biaxin. If your doc thinks it is OK to take another one in the same class he probably will make you stay in the office and take the first one there and then stay there for an hour or so to make sure you don't stop breathing.

I am allergic to almost all antibiotics so I know what it is like. I was told not to take anthing in the same class as those I had a reaction to.

Good luck.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I'm the one having a reaction now to antibiotics and it's Doxycycline. It's gotten much better but still not totally gone. The rash on my face has cleared up and now it's just on my neck. Just the skin. I'm really upset that I had a reaction to Doxycycline since I am also allergic to pennicillin and I need antibiotics for my eyes. My eye lids get all infected from ocular rosacea and I need something every so often to clear that up. Now the only thing left actually is Erythomycin that I haven't had an allergic reaction to and that makes me sick to my stomach.

The funny thing is I took the Doxycycline for a month and 3 weeks before I had this reaction. I'm afraid to take it again now but I need something for the next time my eyes flare up. They get really bad sometimes.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Well I woke up today and the rash is gone and no more itching.
I'm going to stop taking antihistamines and hopefully it stays gone.

Closed Thread