It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

shan06 HB User
How Does NASONEX work for your post nasal drip??

How long does it take to really control the drip???

Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: How Does NASONEX work for your post nasal drip??

The steroids in the spray decrease the swelling in your nasal cavity and therefore, keeps the fluid out. The package says that you have to wait a bit for it to take full affect but we notice an effect right away.

Last edited by Sannah; 02-08-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
(female)

Crystalgray HB User

I've been on Verimyst for a month now and it still doesn't controal my PND. I can breath and smell better but I still experience PND pretty bad.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Steroid sprays are meant for long term and daily use to help control the symptoms. It takes around a few weeks for some to see the effect. If allergies are also a cause of the PND, you might need anti-histamines to keep the allergies in control.

Proper administrating of the drug is also important so that the medication is well distributed in your nose.

I do find that it reduces my PND to some extend although I still flare up at times.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
(female)

shan06 HB User

Well I have been on it for a month, and still get the drip especially in the morning, it helps but not 100% and am sick to death of all the hacking and coughing up mucus....I am going to an ENT next week, hopefully he can help??? I have also tried nasacort and it was not as good as nasonex for me. Maybe I should take it twice a day??

Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Yes, you can take Nasonex twice a day. If you have PND a lot in the morning I wonder if you have dust mite allergies. Dust mites are really easy to control in your bedroom and house. I have always had better luck being symtom free by removing the allergen rather than medicating the symptoms away.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

shan06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
Yes, you can take Nasonex twice a day. If you have PND a lot in the morning I wonder if you have dust mite allergies. Dust mites are really easy to control in your bedroom and house. I have always had better luck being symtom free by removing the allergen rather than medicating the symptoms away.
yes could be dust mites...I have the allergen pillow covers/mattress cover, have carpet in the room......vacuum like twice a month--not good I know...

what else can i do????

Old 03-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

If the Nasonex alone isn't working to control your PND it's possible that there's another underlying cause that you need to sort out. The two most likely candidates are some kind of allergy or acid reflux. You're probably already doing this but I wanted to ask if you're also taking an anthistamine to address any possible allergic triggers?

The other thing you might think about is whether it could be acid reflux - particularly since you note that the PND is worse in the morning. Sometimes lying down allows stomach acid to irritate the lining of your esophagus causing PND to increase. The acid reflux can be pretty easily treated using PrilosecOTC for a couple of weeks (you may need to take it for longer but should see some improvement fairly quickly if that's the cause).

Closed Thread