It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

I am allergic to neosporin...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
jennylee30
(female)

jennylee30 HB User
I am allergic to neosporin...

A couple months ago I put some neosporin on a tattoo I just had "touched up". Within minutes I was itching, getting hives all over my body, turning red, my eyes started swelling shut, my lips swelled, I started wheezing, and I fainted.
In the ER I was given the typical stuff for a severe allergic reaction. I almost went into anaphylactic shock. I left the hospital a few hours later.
I have only met ONE other person with this allergy. All of the doctors I have talked with have NEVER heard of this. I know I'm not crazy, I know I'm allegic to neosporin. I don't have the money to have good medical insurance so I've never been to an allergist.
Does anyone know what it is in neosporin that makes me have this reaction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
dolysods
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: I am allergic to neosporin...

can you take sulfa drugs?? I know some doctors recommend polysporin vs the neosporin. Here is something I copied from a website

-"Neosporin contains Neomycin sulfate-3.5mg, Bacitracin-400 units and Polymyxin B 5000 units. Of course it does contain cocoa butter, olive oil may prevent the formation of scars. A 1/2 oz tube costs $5. Polysporin does not contain Neomycin and it has 10,000 units of Polymixin B and 500 units of Bacitracin [ higher dose than in Neosporin]."

just a thought...

Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Neosporin allergy is common. and yes, a lot of doc recommend polysporin as a result. Mine does.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Ratatosk
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I'm allergic to both neosporin and polysporin. My dermatologist indicated that the allergy is so common amongst his patients that they now recommend just using plain old petroleum jelly (vasoline). I'm also allergic to the adhesive in most bandages and tapes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ratatosk For This Useful Post:
InquisitiveMe (10-11-2011)
Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
jennifer1977
(female)

jennifer1977 HB User

Yes, I swear I am allergic to neosporin too. Wasn't allergic growing up, just started about 6 years ago. I got little blisters around the spot where I applied the neosporin and then a few days later broke out in hives all over my body. I didn't believe it was the neosporin either, tried it several other times. Even threw out the tube and bought new ones thinking it maybe had become tainted or gotten bacteria in it that was causing the problem.

Not sure what it is and I don't know about polysporin. I recently had a procedure done and I have several incisions that need to heal with the least amount of scarring possible. The doctor normally suggests using neosporin, but I cannot. He didn't have any other suggestions. Does anyone out there have any? I really don't want to have scars from these incisions; they will show with a bathing suit on, etc... Help!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
wakkochic17
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

jennifer, once the wound is closed, try using Mederma on the scar twice a day. I don't know of anything to recommend while the wound is healing though.
I'm not allergic to neosporin, but I can't use most bandaids/bandages without breaking out in a rash.

Closed Thread