It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
(male)

chris1979 HB User
Question Food intolerance?

Hi there,

I don't know if this is the right forum to post on but I think ihave a food intolerance and wondered if anyone else can advise wehther it sounds like i do have this and whether my symptoms are from this problem or seperate.

i cannot pinpoint what exactly but i find that if i have milk, or wheat, possibly fish, that i go crazy, moods are all over the place. I feel confused, and drunk even, zombified, too confused/not safe to drive, and irritibable which is not like me. i have had mental health problems from stress but that stress is over - i am trying to work out ifmy problems are from diet or from something else. last week i felt ok at work but then as soon as friday night came, i ended up feeling really quite bad - as above - then all weekend i've felt a mess, confused and not right. on friday night i ate a pitta bread, tuna fish, tomatoes and lettuce. and some peanuts i think- this all seemd to trigger it off.these feelings seem different to depression to me.

a month or two a go i had an Elisa G type test (intolerance, not allergy) and it said i was q strongly intolerant to milk, eggs, beef, plaice (a kind of fish) and cashews (cannot remember what else). i was less intolerant to wheat and gluten but still intolerant.

my question is that - could the symptoms i've described (depression, confusion, drunken feeling, agitated) plus physical symptoms like sweating, wantting to breathe more (i mean like a panic attack but not as strong, kind of wheezing) be food allergy or something esle? I know these could be mental health problems but could it be this too. it is a horrible feeling one minute on friday i was ok, then the next it's like 48 hours of hell, i feel no where near right i just slump down in a chair and try and cope.

i hpoe this is not the wrong forum - has anyone else had similar reactions? i am from tomorrow going to try not eating wheat/bread and also avoid milk. i ahve since my test cut out cheese and hamburgers. i do to be honest just feel crazy. i am at the point where i will either go see a psyhciatrist to get some mood stabilisers or a nutritionist. the thing is i can be fine for a few days, and then not ok jus like that. also it's not like i everyday avoid milk and wheat - in the week i have one cup of tea with milk in that (usually just one cup of day, so not much millk). i also have one or two sandwiches usually, but then i thought something - at the weekend i tend to eat a different kind of bread thanin the week - it is a bread with more seeds in it, i do sometimes eat this in the week but only one or two slices in the week as breakfast - not for the rest of the day, whereas if i'm at home i might eat it for lunch too.

i am really struggling to lose weight too, i'm about 225 pounds and another thing is that it's like my stomach is distended all my weight is round there sometimes it sticks out more than others, and have been overweight for some time, i do not - 9/10 days eat more than my recommended calories and on the odd ocassion i do eat more, it is not enough to make me put on weight, so i don't know what is happening.

i am feeling quite desperate so this is why i am posting on here -i am finding i am at the end of my tether and this is no way to live, i cannot plan or do anything and just feel strnage at times. if anyone can confirm or offer any alternative theories i would b e grateful. i have been keeping a mood/food diary and the main question marks over things making me feel worse are wheat and dairy. but sometimes i seem ok with these things? sometimes not? so maybe it is not these things? or maybe diff kinds of bread are different? i don't know if i'm clutching at straws here.

Thank you to anyone who responds to this. i 'm not feeling too coherent at the moment, quite confused so sorry if this doesn't read too well.

thanks
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

motep HB User
Re: Food intolerance?

I don't have any answers for you, but I hope you find some soon so you can feel better.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
(female)

Shannatoo HB User

Hello Chris!

Yes, your symptoms could most definitely be food related. I suffered for years with a whole host of symptoms that didn't seem as though they could be related (fatigue, asthma, chronic colds, muscle tightness, depression, couldn't keep weight on, anxiety, migraines etc..). Once I was able to see a doctor who would actually listen to me, I had food allergy testing (type II for delayed onset reactions - sounds like what you have, I'd recommend this test for you also, different from the "intolerance" one - mostly available through holistic practicioners).

Once I eliminated all of my moderate and high reactive foods, I was a different person within days... I would suggest that you eliminate all of the foods you tested moderate and high for on your recent test. Then after six weeks (no sooner!) you reintroduce one food at a time. If you are symptom free after 4 days of eating that food, you are safe to eat it. However, if symptoms appear, you eliminate that food for another 30 days and reintroduce it again. If you react again, eliminate it from your diet.

Good luck in your little journey - I know that it's not easy (I'm allergic to gluten, soy, eggs, and dairy so I know the drill).. But I promise you will start to feel better the sooner you eliminate the offensive foods!

If you have any more questions - I'm here!

Shanna

Old 03-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
(male)

chris1979 HB User

Thank you Motep -it is nice that you took the time out to answer me, i appreciate that and it makes me feel a bit better that someone like yourself cares.

I am going on the theory that i may have 'candida' and am avoiding the food i'm intolerant too as well as trying to treat this candida with anti candida supplements

Thanks again,

Chris

Old 03-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
(male)

chris1979 HB User

Hi Shanna

Thank you for your reply to me, i was beginning to think that no one would answer me until today i got two replies in one day! Thank you.

well i have been trying to think about it and i think i was right about the food thing, otherwise i think it is some other disorder - there is no other explanation for mood swings really.

I am similar to you i think in my intolerances, but got wheat and beef (go figure - how can anyone be intolerant to a cow, but then i guess if i'm intolerant to milk and dairy then beef is not too bigger a leap from that).

i also think i may have candida - to be on the safe side i'm tryinng to tackle this on two fronts -avoid the intolerant foods and take some anti-candida supplements - the symptoms of candida fit, and also explain possibly why i might be intolerant to foods (leaky gut?). i have got a headache from taking caprylic acid a day after taking it - ok so i'm not sure if this is good or bad or confirms if i have candida or not - i will see. but i never get headaches so something is going on?

it's kinda hard to avoid all these foods i find tho - ok not impossible but hard unless you prepare. i mean, all the foods in this country (UK) are based around wheat and dairy - in fact an American who was here who i was working with was suprised at the amount of bread we have here, pretty much 2 meals a day. so anyway, i've bought some rice (the stuff you can heat in a microwave) which i can take to work, and some other stuff like corn pasta, and so on.

do you have to plan things carefully and take your own food with you or is there more choice in the US? do you have any good ideas for meals? i'm thinking porridge and rice milk for breakfast, some kind of rice and vegetables and fish or chicken for dinner and lunch - thinking about it my diet doesn't have to be that different i don't think just cut out the stuff that's making me ill (or might be)

i did think about getting allergy testing as well - i can have quite quick reactions to eggs sometimes - i can eat one and then half an hour later be almost wheezy and panicky and agitated too. but the test i had was a delayed reaction one i think.

i'm thinking i might have candida as the symptoms fit - i can sometimes feel all strange as i wrote about before - ok this could be just food intolerance but i thought i'd see how i get on with a candida thing too.

thanks again

Chris

Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
(female)

Shannatoo HB User

Hi Chris...

Yes, I do find myself bringing my own food many places, that's just part of it. My diet is based on natural whole foods i.e. lots of fruits and veggies, legumes, nuts (almonds, pumpkin seeds etc) - eaten organically as much as possible. I also do not eat beef but I eat chicken (but again hormone and antibiotic free, free range) and lots of fish (those omega 3s are great for the mood!)

Breakfast is the hardest meal for me - you might want to try soy or goat milk yogurt with some fresh fruit or even just a handful of raw almonds (more omega 3s!). Finding a good bread is hard - I would try a health food store if you can, otherwise the internet is a great resource for ordering whole foods you can eat.

For lunch, I usually have a raw spinach with garbanzo and kidney beans, raw sunflower seeds, fresh squeezed lemon juice and any other veggies I feel like. But you could also just do leftovers from a previous dinner. Just be creative! Also, brown rice with some sauteed vegetables and chicken is a great meal! I make extra and then reheat it for lunch or dinner the next day...

If you really work on incorporating whole foods into your diet, you don't even really miss all of the stuff that makes you sick. Yes it is hard, but think of it as improving your health, not a nuisance!

Good Luck!

Shanna

Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Chris,
Yes, all those symptoms could be a sign of food allergies. My food allergies cause severe mood problems, crying, foggy thinking, ADHD, swelling, arthritis in my joints. They were somewhat controlled for many years, but about 6-7 years ago they went haywire, and it's taken me a long time to get them calmed back down. My latest major reaction is to gluten, so I've had to cut out bread, noodles, crackers, cakes, cookies, etc. But they can be replaced with gluten free foods from a health food store, though they are more expensive. I've even found a cracker recipe that doesn't use wheat. Did your doctor give you a rotation diet? For example, a quick overview of my rotation diet:

Day 1 - chicken products - lettuce, carrots, parsnips, olives, wheat, apples, pears, cashews
Day 2 - fish/seafood - sulfur vegies - cauliflower, brocolli, turnip greens, cabbage, corn, almonds
Day 3 - pork products - beans of all kinds, potatoes, rice, peanuts
Day 4 - cow products - squashes and melons, oatmeal, pecans

There are a lot more foods listed, these are just the basic categories. When we have food allergies, we are not supposed to eat the same food family two days in a row because that is what sets up the allergies, and this "diet" spreads out the foods. Each day has a meat, grain, vegetable, fruit, oil, sweetener, and nut.

Closed Thread