It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
(male)

AVZ HB User
My daughter's Florida Allergy

My daugher has a mysterious allergic reaction whenever we travel to Florida (specifically the Keys).

She is 5 now, and developed this reaction when she was 2. We just returned from our first trip in 18 months (hoping she grew out of it), but she developed the same rash (starting in the joints, but now over most of her body) and complains of joint pain. She began taking Zyrtec 3 days before the trip. Her reaction was so bad (eyes swelling shut) in Florida that I gave her a prescription steroid.

She does not eat any unusual food in Florida, and is routinely exposed to beach, pool, salt water, and sun tan lotion during the summer at home in Connecticut. But the only time she has this reaction is in Florida.

We have been to doctors and allergists, but to no avail. Has anybody heard of something similar?

Any recommendations on what to try or who to talk to next?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: My daughter's Florida Allergy

She could have a sun allergy (it really isn't an allergic reaction). I just looked up some stuff on it and it can only happen when people vacation in a more southern climate. It is called Polymorphous Light Eruption (PMLE).

Last edited by Sannah; 02-25-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Daughter has watery, goopy right eye, allergy? doodledog Allergies 1 10-08-2008 10:10 AM
My daughter was just dz w/wheat-gluten allergy SHANTACLARE61 Allergies 4 04-11-2008 06:13 PM
7/29PLIF flying to florida daughter having Facet Thermal Ablation or more fljack1 Back Problems 1 10-09-2007 07:56 PM
What is my daughter allergic to? AVZ Allergies 7 03-12-2007 07:14 AM
my daughter and her boyfriend xcreedox Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics 1 01-14-2006 05:51 AM