It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

cmill32 HB User
Can Seasonal Allergies result in flu-like symptoms???

I woke up yesterday with a VERY sore throat, a VERY painful cough and just overall felt like crap....Today I've been fatigued, low grade fever (99.1) and achey...I went to my college's doctor, and she listened to my lungs and explained to me that it's probably my body's reaction the the first symptoms of my seasonal allergies(the trees and grass are just beginning to bud here)...She explained that nasal drippage can drip down to my throat and lungs causing pain in my throat and lungs and coughing....yes, this makes sense--but I thought allergies had NOTHING to do with a low grade fever/chills/body aches....She put me on allegra and asked me to come back in 3 days if there is no imporovement......Also I always thought that if your flem (excuse the details) was yellow, then there's an infection going on...and if it's clear, it's likely to be allergy-related....and mine is yellowish/clearish.... my question is it possible that this could she could correct?? that these flu-like symptoms could be allergies??? Thank you very much

The Following User Says Thank You to cmill32 For This Useful Post:
wmojica4 (03-01-2012)
Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
(female)

tiasmom52 HB User
Re: Can Seasonal Allergies result in flu-like symptoms???

Yes, indeed you can get flu-like symptoms from allergies, particularly at the beginning of the season. I've had bad allergies for many, many years, and they last from the first piece of pollen in the spring until the first frost.

I've experienced the same symptoms many times, and not just at the beginning of the season. I was surprised to learn just a few years ago that I allergy symptoms include fever - never really thought about it until I was plagued with off-and-on fevers nearly all spring. I can handle the itchy swollen eyes, runny nose, cough, and fever, but I HATE feeling such bad fatigue. LOL - guess that's why I'm full of energy in the winter!

I've been through most of the prescription allergy meds, Clairitin-D, Clarinex, Allegra, and Allegra-D did nothing at all for me. Zyrtec worked the best, and now it's an OTC med, which is great. Rhinocort is a super fine-mist nasal spray that works immediately and keeps working most of the day.

Hopefully you'll find your 'cure' and not have to suffer so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

One good way to tell the difference, and get some relief, is a warm salt water gargle. If that takes care of the sore throat, then it's allergies.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
(female)

cmill32 HB User

ok, thanks guys

Old 04-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

Yes, it can! When the spring time allergies roll through I go from getting a slightly scratchy throat to feeling like I"ve got the flu...I get laryngitis too. This happens every year.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

gossipgirl11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiasmom52 View Post
Yes, indeed you can get flu-like symptoms from allergies, particularly at the beginning of the season. I've had bad allergies for many, many years, and they last from the first piece of pollen in the spring until the first frost.

I've experienced the same symptoms many times, and not just at the beginning of the season. I was surprised to learn just a few years ago that I allergy symptoms include fever - never really thought about it until I was plagued with off-and-on fevers nearly all spring. I can handle the itchy swollen eyes, runny nose, cough, and fever, but I HATE feeling such bad fatigue. LOL - guess that's why I'm full of energy in the winter!

I've been through most of the prescription allergy meds, Clairitin-D, Clarinex, Allegra, and Allegra-D did nothing at all for me. Zyrtec worked the best, and now it's an OTC med, which is great. Rhinocort is a super fine-mist nasal spray that works immediately and keeps working most of the day.

Hopefully you'll find your 'cure' and not have to suffer so much!
I have the same problem. I get horrible allergies with flu-like symptoms. I was taking 4 tablespoons of apple cidar cinegar daily. It worked, but I couldnt stand the taste. I hate taking meds, but I had to give in bc my allergies were making me miserable. I just started Zyrtec the other day and it has been working great so far.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
(female)

Nance77 HB User
Unhappy Re: Can Seasonal Allergies result in flu-like symptoms???

Yes, I have terrible seasonal spring allergies...They just started for me about 2 wks ago and I have been suffering ever since...Along with the itchy eyes, nose and throat, stuffy and runny nose, I have a cough, the phlegm in my chest, and feel so tired and drained...Sometimes I also feel hot and then chills...It is all from these allergies...Benadryl helps but makes me very tired, so I just got Zyrtec and am going to try that....usuallly by the 1st or 2nd week of June mine improve and then go away...I have been trying to stay indoors as much as I can...

Nancy

Closed Thread