It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
(male)

NathanC HB User
Only one nostril clogged?

Hello all,

I have a had a clogged right nostril for about a week and a half now. I find it odd that throughout the day, it will get better (almost back to normal) and then back to full/partial clogged within minutes and it cycles like this several times a day. It seems that right before bed, it clogs up the worst. Sometimes my left nostril will get clogged (maybe once or twice) and never as bad as the right one.

When I say clogged, I mean no air can get in even though there is no mucus or debris. The past week or so, I've used Affrin and saline sprays. Per the instructions of the Affrin, I've avoided using it on 3 consecutive days but when it gets really bad, I'm forced to use it.

I don't know if this is allergies, a weird cold (I don't feel sick) or what.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Only one nostril clogged?

It could be a couple of different things - the most likely is allergies. I'd recommend that you try taking an antihistamine (either Zyrtec or Claritin) and a decongestant (Sudafed 12 Hour) for a couple of days to see if that helps.

All of that stuff is available without a prescription at any drug or grocery store.

If you try that for a few days and it helps it's probably allergies - so you'll probably want to keep taking the antihistamine until allergy season passes.

If the antihistamines and decongestant don't help you might want to see a doctor - there's a remote chance it could be something more serious (like nasal polyps) but the fact that it shifts from side to side makes that less likely.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
(female)

saborosa HB User

Hi i recently had the same problem
except i t was on going for a long time... turns out i had a sinus infection... perhaps that might be the problem... also i use a nelli pot (My sinus physician recommended that I run the humidifier on the warmest setting. He also strongly recommended that I irrigate my sinuses each evening before going to bed using a mixture of sea salt, baking soda, and purified water (about 2 tbps salt, 1 tbsp baking soda in about 3-4 cups of water). You can purchase a nelli pot at some health food stores, a product called NeilMed at some large pharmacies, or (cheapest) just use a bulb syringe available in most pharmacies. If you have a Waterpick, there is an attachment available for it which will also work. Of course, be sure your physician checks to make sure you don't have a sinus infection that needs to be treated with medication.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
(male)

NathanC HB User

Hi all,

I took the advice on the sudafed and claritin...well, Target brand versions. The sudafed works while the claritin doesn't. I tested it out by only using one each day and the claritin didn't do anything while the sudafed works for a couple hours.

I have noticed that, while working at different job sites, hot & humid workplaces seem to open my clogged nostril up and when I leave, it goes back to being clogged. I don't know if there is an explanation for this or if it is just coincidence or maybe the medicine kicking in.

I have set an appointment to see my GP on Monday but any other advice until then is appreciated. I will have to see if I can find this neti pot around as I've read good things about it online.

Could it be that using the Affrin spray for more than 3 days damaged my nose and its just taking a while to heal?

Thanks,
Nathan

Last edited by NathanC; 06-05-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

How long did you use the Afrin?

If it was daily for a couple of weeks, it will take a while for the "rebound swelling" from the Afrin to go down and for things to return to normal - you can keep using the Sudafed to try to minimize the swelling and hopefully get through the weekend.

Other than the Sudafed, I think the neti pot or SinusRinse bottle is your best bet. The fact that your nostril is more open in hot/humid places could mean that your nasal passages are dry and inflamed, and the humidity helps them open up. The neti pot should help with that but I'm not sure there's much more you can do before seeing your doctor.

Hopefully the doc will prescribe a steroid nasal spray that will help shrink that swelling and open up the blocked nostril.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
(male)

NathanC HB User

I used Affrin off and on for about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks. I don't think I ever used it three days straight as I would give myself a few days in between uses.

The last couple days have been better actually. My right nose isn't 100% back to normal (it is still a little stuffy) but for about 90% of the day it is mostly cleared up. It has gotten plugged up again a few times (still happens almost always at bedtime) but surprisingly the saline spray, which previously didn't do anything, seems to open it back up.

I'm going in to see my doctor tomorrow morning and I'll update on what the verdict is so that anyone else who has this can maybe gain some insight on the situation.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
(male)

NathanC HB User

UPDATE:

Went to see my doctor and it turns out it was allergy related. He took a look in my ears and nose and said there was a build up. He gave me some sample sprays of Nasonex and a couple Claritin-D pills.

So far my nose has been clear (not 100% open, but hasn't clogged at all) so we'll see how it improves.

Thanks to all for your advice!

Last edited by NathanC; 06-09-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Closed Thread