It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

Pattyanne HB User
Allergic to sulfanamides

I'm allergic to sulfa drugs but have been prescribed them many times. I always mention this right away but the doctors seem to be unclear what drugs really do contain sulfa. Has anyone found a complete list os sulfa drugs on line or anywhere?

Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Allergic to sulfanamides

I am allergic to sulfa drugs too. I would love to have the list also, so if anyone knows this please post. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It's fairly simple to do a search and find information on this. Basically speaking, any antibiotics that are realted to sulfamethoxazole (Septra, Bactrim, etc) or sulfisoxazole (pediazole). It is not an allergy to sulfates or sulfites. However, they can be distantly related to other drugs such as Celebrex, Diovan HCT, etc. An allergy to sulfa drugs does not mean that you will be allergic to such things as celebrex, etc but only that you should discuss it with your physician before taking them. Two examples: my sister and I both are allergic to sulfa drugs (the antibiotics). She can take Celebrex in limited amounts. I take Diovan HCT daily. Now, we both had upset stomach side effects in the beginning. But over time, that has gone away...just as our physicians thought they would. So, avoid antibiotics that are sulfa and talk with your doc about any others he feels you may need and then keep an eye out for side effects - which most often are just an upset stomach.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
(female)

Pattyanne HB User

I'm finding it not that simple to do a search on this topic. I have had a skin condition for 10 yrs where my break outs will not go away no matter what I take or rub on. I have been to 4 dermatologist. My last doctor told me I am allergic to most of my medicines because of the sulfa allergy. She can't figure out which ones are causing the problem including the meds given to me by the previous dermatologists. My orthomedic surgeon presribed an antibiotic I am to take forever before anything invasive as a protection of my 2 knee replacements and I just found out this is sulfa based.I won't even start with my blood pressure medicine which is also making me break out. The doctors don't seem to have a handle on this problem so I am still asking if anyone has a list of sulfa based medicines.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm sorry but I am a little confused. You've only seen dermatologists and an "orthomedic" (whatever that it) doctor? Why haven't you seen an allergist?

And there are several ways to research your durgs. First you can check the chemical make up of each of the thing you are taking and the list of contraindications. Those that state you should not take if you are alleric to sulfa drugs should be fairly obvious. I check all drugs prescribed to me before I get the scrip filled to see what those may be as I am allergic to penicillin, sulfa, tetracycline and Z Pak.

What all are you taking? And have you tried zyrtec for your skin condition?

Old 06-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
(female)

Pattyanne HB User

I meant to say an orthopedic surgeon.

I am taking: Mobic
Hydroxyzine
Ziac
Simvastatin
Detrol LA
Benicar
Amoxicillin (as needed)

I have tried: Zyrtec
Claritin
Clarinex
Hydroxyzine
Clindamycin
Cormax
Triamcinolone cream
Mipirocin ointment (and other meds)
I thank you for your suggestion and will ask my Primary care doctor for a referral to an allergist. Sorry about the spelling I'm just a grandmother who's trying.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Only took 5 minutes....you are not supposed to take Ziac if you are allergic to sulfa drugs...sayes it right in the information for the drug.

Closed Thread