It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User
Dark Circles under my eyes.....

Ok, so I think it is clear to myself that I have allergies. I had a CT scan on my head and was diagnosed with Allergic Rhinitis.

I have really bad Dark Circles under my eyes, like two huge big blue veins and the doctors seem to think they are caused by allergies.
Here are the following symptoms I have...

- Post Nasal Drip (EVERY single day, 24/7 I have this for the past 6 years or so)
- Watery Eyes (Especially when I am outside, not all the time though)
- Sneezing (This is not too bad, but I sneeze at least 15 times each day)
- Blocked Nose/Mucus in nose (Everyday)

Anyway, they are the main symptoms I get. My main goal here is to get rid of the Dark Circles under my eyes, which are otherwise known as "Allergic Shiners". Does anybody know or had any experience with Dark Circles under the eyes caused by allergies?

I really want to get rid of these Dark Circles once and for all, they are terrible.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User
Re: Dark Circles under my eyes.....

Please can anybody help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Many times dark circles under the eyes are cause by food allergies. An allergy doctor can test you for specific allergies. Then you can start eliminating the problem foods one at a time, and see if the circles go away. Each person has different reactions to different foods, so what may cause dark circles for one person, wouldn't necessarily be what caused it for you. Even a doctor couldn't tell you specifically what causes the dark circles. Antihistamines may help, but the only permanent way is to find the culprit and eliminate it from your diet.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

But is there any proof that food allergies in particular can cause Dark Circles under the eye? I guess I will have to start cutting foods one by one out of my diet as you said. But how long will it take for the Dark Circles to go away if I stop eating the food I am allergic too. That is even if I am allergic to any foods which I am pretty sure I am not.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #5
(female)

chic43 HB User

Definitely cut out any and all dairy.

My husband and both sons have horrible allergies...my youngest son has them the worst....grass, hay, most trees, animal dander....but when I made him stop drinking milk and eating ice cream, his shiners diminshed quite a bit. I also get dark circles when I take in dairy. Start with that. But, you'll always have those shiners...there isn't anything that will make them go completely. But reducing certain things can make them nearly gone.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
(male)

nussy22 HB User

I have had "Allergic Shiners" all my life and am not allergic to any foods.

I am allergic to juniper and molds.

I have been taking allergy shots for the last two years and my allergies have subsided, but the shiners still remain.

Since I started the allergy shots, I have contracted Sjogrens Syndrome, and autoimmune disease. I really believe that the shots caused this.

I truly wish you luck getting rid of the 'shiners', I know EXACTLY how you feel. I finally gave in and tried some of my wife's makeup which helps a lot.

I'm so sorry that I cannot be more helpful, my friend.
------------------------------------------------------
addendum:

Allergy testing initially costs about US$2,200. The first dose of serum is another US$2,000 and lasts about 9 months. The next batch is only about US$1,000. Each shot (once a week initially, then only once a month after 6-7 months) is about US$40.00 using your $2,000 serum.
YMMV

Last edited by nussy22; 06-25-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

Yeah, I doubt I am allergic to any foods, especially dairy. I have had dairy nearly all my life.

I am due to get Deviated Septum surgery soon though. I guess I will see if the Dark Circles go away after that, and if they don't I will just have to keep on using Nasonex to control my allergies.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Two comments - first of all, for Nussy22: Wow! your allergy testing and injections cost 4 times what mine did (before insurance was taken into account). My initial tests were something like $600 and the serum is about $450 each time I get it (again, fortunately I have insurance so I only have to pay the copay) - I guess it pays to shop around for the right allergist.

PsWii - I know you mentioned in an earlier post that antihistamines haven't worked for your allergies. That makes me wonder because Nasonex alone won't solve your allergy problems - it will help with the congestion in your nose but not the underlying allergic reaction (which is what causes the shiners). You might consider experimenting with taking an antihistamine every day for a while to see if it helps because controlling that underlying allergic reaction may be the only thing that helps clear up the allergic shiners.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

Well my left nostril has been blocked all day. It is impossible to blow the mucus out because it is so blocked that I am not able to blow any air in or out.

Can I just say something about my deviated septum. My left nostril is the one which is usually congested/blocked, and the allergic shiner (dark circle) on the left side of my eye is worse than the one on my right. Would that give some indication that my deviated septum is the actual cause of the Dark Circles under my eyes, or is that just a coincidence?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I get dark circles all the time under my eyes during high allergy season such as summer and fall. I have it going on right now. I am allergic to over 30 things, anything green outside, dust mites, mold etc.. and cats and dogs and some foods. Lucky me huh? Try not to panic. Just take some allergy meds, watch your diet, get tested at an allergist and I use make up to cover them up. I am so sorry you are suffering. Just know you aren't alone.
Tammy

P.S. My allergy testing was 100% covered and my allergy shots are only a 15.00 co pay once a week. So it doesn't have to cost much if you have good insurance.

Last edited by TEdds83; 07-05-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

I have my Dark Circles every single day of my life.

I am starting to wonder if they are just genetics. Maybe I just have slow blood flow in my under eye area.

Although it does make sense that they are caused by allergies, because I always do have watery eyes and I am sneezing a lot of the time. My nostrils are also always nearly blocked, and I have post nasal drip all the time.

So it would make sense that my Dark Circles are caused by allergies/congestion correct?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It definitely makes sense that they're allergy related - getting your allergies under control should help minimize the dark circles (although I don't know if they ever completely go away).

Old 07-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

If they can be reduced by at least 50% I would be quite happy.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

PsWii60 HB User

Well my nose is actually a little more clear for once, because I used nasal irrigation and lots of nasal sprays today. But for some reason my Dark Circles are still there.

I am beginning to think that maybe allergies/nasal congestion could not be the cause of my Dark Circles?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

From what I've read, it takes time for them to go away once you get things under control - I'd keep up what your doing for a couple of weeks and see if they start to fade before you give up on the allergies as the cause.

Closed Thread