It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
(female)

Hayley80 HB User
Throat Irritability/swelling??

I have began suffering hayfever in my 20's, each year it seems to get a little worse, itchy palate and ears, sore red eyes, sinus discomfort (sore lining of nose, headaches etc.) However, I also notice that with exposure to my typial hayfever triggers, I also seem to suffer some bronchial symptoms - it feels as though my throat is very irritated, like something is stuck in it and I have to keep clearing it - I do not know if this is swelling - there is no itching, but it does tend to get very sore (I expect due to the constant clearing) and my voice goes very deep and coarse as though there is bronchial narrowing - On occasions I have used an asthma inhaler when exposed to lengthy periods of trigger (driving through kms of paddocks etc) with some effect. Damp grass also seems to trigger this symptom.

Is this a normal symptom of hayfeve or is there something else going on here?
What is the best way to fix this?

(I also suffer from contact dermatitis - metals and severe allergy to hair dye with brown/black colourant - causing a severe skin blistering which spreads - I doubt any of this is related, but thought best to mention just in case)

Last edited by Hayley80; 06-30-2008 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Adding

Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Throat Irritability/swelling??

The throat irritation could be two things. It could be a mild case of allergic asthma (I say mild because it apparently hasn't really made it hard for you to breathe yet), or it could be that you have a runny nose and it's dripping down your throat.

Either way, antihistamines should probably help to some extent, although if you are currently having symptoms, it might take several days to start working.

You may want to consult a doctor for allergy shots, to desensitize you. Or, if you think you may be suffering from asthma, you should probably get some advice on managing it. It might never get worse than this, but then again it might get pretty bad later on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

girlie77 HB User
Re: Throat Irritability/swelling??

Hi Haley with regards to your throat symptoms I have been having the same problem since dec. They came totally from nowhere, I dont have any known allergies but the doctor give me a nasal spray and a antihisamine to take daily in order to try and control the symptoms. He said it could be postnasal drip or sinues trouble. I also get a bad taste at times. I am sorry I cant be of more help but I thought it might help to know your not alone.lol. It is in my opinon a very weird thing to experiance.
girlie

Old 06-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
(female)

Hayley80 HB User
Smile Re: Throat Irritability/swelling??

Thank you both for your advice - The other thing I remembered, is that when I experience these symptoms (most especially the oral ones, itchy palate etc), my palate gets this large, sore lump right in the middle, and my tongue gets all lumpy at the back - quite large, firm lumps all over it, to begin with I had wondered whether this was causing the irritation to my throat, but perhaps it is possible that I have these lumps in my throat also?!

I always take claramax or telfast for my hayfever symptoms - it tends to work with everything except the tongue/throat thing - so perhaps the mild asthma is a possibility - or perhaps I am experiencing food allergies during peak times of allergy?!

Actually, I am unable to have milk or anything thick and creamy during these times, such as chocolate etc. because it tends to "stick" inside my throat -
Yes, I think perhaps it is time for a doc. consult!

Closed Thread