It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 AM   #16
Inactive
(male)

Jonny412 HB User
Re: Thoughts on home air purifiers

Hi GCSmithJR.

Hey if it was about sports or something I might want to debate , but on important health matters I`m quite open to learning and correction if need be. It was kind of you to take the time to offer this information which is actually good news. I wrote that post venting and with my face packed with congestion right by my new air purifier. I actually meant to come back and edit it but forgot. In any case, it was this statement from a review that led me to believe that less expensive air purifers may well let most particles pass on by.

"When measured by number of particles, rather than weight, 90% of all air contaminants are smaller than the HEPA standard 0.3 microns. The critical importance of air purifier efficiency is kept buried by the industry. This is one of several reasons why I do not consider IQAir purifiers “expensive”. True efficiency is not cheap, but low efficiency air purifiers bypass fine particles over and over again. As time passes, static backpressure builds up ahead of partly blocked HEPA filters. Cheaper units allow increased bypassing as the filter ages. Fine particles coat the inefficient air purifiers' exhaust passage surfaces, making the unit itself a repository of the finest lung penetrators! After about a year, stand back when you turn them on. So how is this inexpensive? A major purpose of this website is to fully document the bypassing process." Ed Sherbenou

I was impressed by a number of reviews offered by this gentleman. Perhaps he is missing something or I have misinterpreted him, and I would be interested in hearing your take.

Anyway I went to see a friend at the beach night. I left home with a packed and draining nose and it all disappeared when I got there. Allergies stayed away all evening and have been gone over 24 hours since, here at home, with my new air purifier on high the whole time. Not bad. I still have serveral more waves of cleaning to do. I plan to get rather radical with it.

Last edited by Jonny412; 07-08-2008 at 01:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Two quick things.

First of all, I looked up the guy you mention - he seems credible, but I think you may have misinterpreted his comments. I found a lengthy article he wrote explaining the different types of filtering systems available and he actually recommends the use of air cleaners with a true HEPA filter, particularly those with a gasketed filter. He rails against manufacturers who try to pass off cheaper inferior products as "HEPA type" and gives pretty detailed explanations as to what makes an effective HEPA filter (and which types aren't as effective as they should be because of manufacturer shortcuts, etc).

At the end of the article he specifically says that his remarks should not be interpreted as "badmouthing" HEPA air purifiers and recommends them as the basic foundation for good air purification.

Second, I think you have to identify the thing (or things) that is causing you trouble so that you can focus on limiting or eliminating your exposure to it. This whole struggle against allergies is a lot more manageable if you know the "enemy" you're fighting because it's nearly impossible to eliminate all allergen exposure. For example, if molds are the issue (which might well be the case if you have more issues inside than outside), and your home has active mold growth in the carpet, an air purifier won't solve the problem - it may help some but you'll have to figure out how to address the underlying issue.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
Inactive
(male)

Jonny412 HB User

Believe it or not, there is no carpet in my home... Anyway I`ll be working overtime trying to find the cause. Thanks.

Closed Thread