It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Disodium Acetate Allergy Symptoms

I did some research on disodium acetate and found that it is a mold and fungus inhibitor common in meats.

I was up at a barbecue yesterday where they had hot dogs. The rest of the meal did not bother me, but every time I would try to take a bite of hot dog, my glands felt like they were stinging and swelling. About a half an hour later, I had the worst case of indigestion and my throat started getting sore.

I checked the ingredients of everything that I ate and the only thing I was not familiar with was in the hot dogs - the aforementioned item.

This morning and through the early part of the afternoon so far, I have had cramping and diarrhea. I do have IBS.

Has anyone had the same experience with eating hot dogs? Could this be a new allergy for me? The web sites I went to all said it was perfectly safe for human consumption, but I cannot help but wonder.

Thanks.

Lindaru

Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User
Re: Disodium Acetate Allergy Symptoms

It could be the nitrates in the hot dogs. Lots of people have nitrate allergies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Thank you, Namelessme. I had only eaten one a year (at reunion weekend) but will stick to the salads and veggies from now on.

The misery is not worth the flavor.

Lindaru

Old 07-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
(female)

sandsprite HB User

Hi Lindaru,
I have trouble with hot dogs - exactly like you described -- but I'm allergic to the corn meal and corn syrup they put in them. I can eat them if they are the Hebrew National brand, which doesn't contain any corn. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Thank you, Sandsprite! As far as I know, I have never had an allergy to corn but maybe the combination of that with other things in commercial hot dogs is what does it.

I will suggest Hebrew National brand for our next year cook-out. I am pretty sure that is devoid of anything I might be allergic to.

Lindaru

Closed Thread