It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Do your allergies affect your head like this?

My allergies have been awful this year. I had a nice break from May until they started up again a couple of weeks ago.

Right now my main complaint is a full head feeling. My face, behind my eyes and to the top of my head. No headache really. Some stuffiness and sneezing but no real trouble breathing. But what's scaring me is this drunk feeling all of the time. Not dizzy or vertigo, just this feeling of having just drank a glass of wine or beer - just not a clear head feeling.

I've had this feeling sporadically before, but this time it won't let up. Sudafed used to kick it but it barely makes a dent right now.

Does anyone else have this? I, of course, am worried about a brain tumor or something much more insidious than allergies. I plan on giving it a couple more days before seeing the doctor. I just hate going through tons of tests, the anxiety of it all only to find nothing.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
(female)

Anxious Annie HB User
Re: Do your allergies affect your head like this?

I SWEAR this is me!

I have the same issues. BAD. Lot of pressure in my ears, HORRIBLE itchy burny eyes, and you're right. It's not REALLY vertigo or dizziness, but a feeling of being buzzed almost.

I know a lot of it's allergies. Everything can swell and retain fluid (nasal passages, ear canals, even sinuses in your forehead).

I'd go to an ENT or at least start with your GP. I'm sure one look up your nose and it will tell the story! Try not to worry; I know though, easier said than done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisrose View Post
My allergies have been awful this year. I had a nice break from May until they started up again a couple of weeks ago.

Right now my main complaint is a full head feeling. My face, behind my eyes and to the top of my head. No headache really. Some stuffiness and sneezing but no real trouble breathing. But what's scaring me is this drunk feeling all of the time. Not dizzy or vertigo, just this feeling of having just drank a glass of wine or beer - just not a clear head feeling.

I've had this feeling sporadically before, but this time it won't let up. Sudafed used to kick it but it barely makes a dent right now.

Does anyone else have this? I, of course, am worried about a brain tumor or something much more insidious than allergies. I plan on giving it a couple more days before seeing the doctor. I just hate going through tons of tests, the anxiety of it all only to find nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

Thanks Anxious Annie!

We've been traveling and the places we've been were more humid. I know the one place we stayed seemed like there was mold somewhere from the way I started to feel.

But we've been home now for 3 days and I can't shake it. I don't know if I got an overdose of mold and it's going to take awhile for my body to stop reacting to it or if it's the June/July allergies starting to get me.

It's just unnerving because I've never had this "drunk" full head feeling last so long with no let up.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
(female)

Anxious Annie HB User

This is the worst I've ever had it, too and we've had an extremely damp spring and humid summer. I noticed it was REALLY bad last week during tstorms!

Thanks for giving me a word to use besides dizzy and vertigo to describe to my doc how I feel!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
(female)

katolb90 HB User

And let me guess... You're real, real drowsy too right? Are you staring off into space a lot?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katolb90 View Post
And let me guess... You're real, real drowsy too right? Are you staring off into space a lot?
It finally has let up. Thankfully! But yes - I was exhausted! I was having to lay down and take a nap each day.

I've been really dosing up on Sudafed, Claritan and Benadryl at bed time and it's finally started clearing.

But I don't like it. I was useless for several days.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
(male)

herkw HB User

WOW.. My symptoms exactly. Full head felling, fatigue,plus bad tasting post nasal drip. I have been suffering for months off and on.
ANY SUGGESTIONS
Harry

Old 07-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkw View Post
WOW.. My symptoms exactly. Full head felling, fatigue,plus bad tasting post nasal drip. I have been suffering for months off and on.
ANY SUGGESTIONS
Harry
Unless you want to go to the doctor, I'd just suggest trying some of the over the counter stuff. I usually only use Claritan. But since this wasn't letting up, I'd take claritan in the morning and sudafed throughout the day. Then at bedtime I took a benadryl. I did that for a few days and that seemed to clear it. Now, I'm just back to claritan and sudafed as needed.

I hope you can find some relief. These allergies are real devils to deal with.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
(male)

richard1971 HB User

HI there. Me too, ive had a stuffy head since june and i can get headaches but dont have to to feel im walking on air sometimes. I can feel like ive had a few strong glasses of red wine. What i usually get is a slight 'wizziness' or fuzziness which seems to be in the front of my head, then ill get completely blocked. Then i can get a tight chest due to what i think is the mucus running down from my nose to my chest. Sometimes this can cause a slight panic (palpitations) which can be scary. The weird thing is a few minites later i can feel ok, but still that stuffy head feeling is very unpleasant.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
(male)

Ezzlar HB User

Yes, the head is the worst.

Tired, the short term memory basically doesn't exist anymore and stressed out with it because simple things like washing dishes turn into major projects. So everything piles up (not just the dishes). Any distraction and I can't remember what I was doing. Anxiety, depression are there but probably a result of that.

My worst year was 9 years ago in a mouldy flat. During two weeks I slept 16 hours a day! I was studying at that time and I thought I would never be able to work normally.

I moved to Scotland close to the sea. Dust mites don't like it here. At least I got my head back out of the tree-grass-spore season. It's still hard going from late April to September. Then it still takes two month to fully recover from the stress and constant tiredness. I am seriously considering moving somewhere with permafrost or into the desert.

All the other problems with asthma, dripping nose and eyes are these days pretty much controllable with medication but the head is still switched off for four to five month every year (with variations depending what's in the air). I keep more or less functioning with a tight routine of plenty of sleep, stress control (like meditation) and strictly doing only one thing at a time (ok. that's the theory but where do you get that in real life). I just try to do only what's absolutely necessary during the season.

You are definitely not alone. I just keep wondering why these symptoms of allergy are hardly recognised. There are thousands of pages on the web regarding allergies and their symptoms but all these head case problems make it only into a footnote if mentioned at all.

Last edited by Ezzlar; 08-20-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
(male)

richard1971 HB User

Hi Ezzlar
what did you take for your stress relating to this? Im suffering anxiety attacks now all due to my bad sinuses and its getting me down bad. I cant go into shops or anything similar now because of the anxiety issues, before it was because of my 'spacey' head. Ive had allergies for 10 years but never this bad since june.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
(female)

poohgrl77 HB User

It sounds like you guys are writing my post for me... I'm having that dizzy, spacey feeling, CONSTANT post nasal drip and chest tightness. I've had it this bad about 10 years ago and it's been okay until this season... I'm so miserable and it's making my anxiety go haywire.. I'm taking Claritin D, Nasonex and although it seemed to help on a good days but this week's been hard.

When does this wave of allergy season end?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
(female)

stace9918 HB User

I moved to a humid area and my allergies flipped out!!!!! I was feeling like I was having anxiety or something and was going to pass out...tight chest and couldn't even eat my non-allergic foods for awhile....any word on xolair for food allergies yet?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
(female)

Farklefan HB User

i have been soooo anxious since this sinus allergy attack. i feel like im obsessive about this, cant function, cant get my eyes off my blurry, tired, swollen eyes with seeing small flashes in my eyes in the dark so of course i was worried i was going blind. this definitely is affecting my daily life and i have just about quit doing anything while i have this weird allergy to the extremely high pollen count in my area this week. i was fine and then all of a sudden my eyes started to bother me, one worst than the other so thats why i got scared. i dont know anyone else who has had these symptoms either so that is why I cant calm down. im depressed, i cry and am really sad over this.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Your allergies can definitely effect your vision. I had been to the eye dr. for my regular check up and he found a change in vision, which bothered him, so he sent me for some test, which came back normal. I don't recall the name of the test. It was during the second visit that I asked him about allergies effecting your vision and he said, "YES." They can effect your vision, your thinking, your balance and the list goes on and on and on. Acupuncture is the only thing that has helped.

Closed Thread