It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
(female)

doris26 HB User
can benedryl be taken when also taking reactine i have been experiencing a very dryin

can benedryl be taken when also taking reactine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: can benedryl be taken when also taking reactine i have been experiencing a very d

Both are antihistamines, and both can be drying, so taking them together could definitely dry you out a bit.

There's probably no real danger in taking them together but you're taking two medications designed to do the same thing.

Last edited by gcsjr; 07-12-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: can benedryl be taken when also taking reactine i have been experiencing a very d

I take a zyrtec most mornings and a benedryl at bedtime every night (for sleep - it's the PM in Tylenol PM). I never experience any excessive drying or other side effects.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
(female)

Edelweiss HB User

My body cannot tolerate even the smalles amount of benadryl. It really dries me out, gives me headaches, and leaves me feeling hung over in the AM. It's a med I try to avoid.

I have the same (or even worse problem) with Claritin. Miserable headaches.

Everyone reacts differently.

If what you're doing is doing the trick, then I'd say stick with it.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
(female)

doris26 HB User
Cool Re: can benedryl be taken when also taking reactine i have been experiencing a very d

Thank you for the replies, I think I will try not using benedryl and take another reactine instead. The reason I take the antihistamine is because I get a red rash whenever I'm outside in the sun even when I use sunscreen. The doctor prescribed reactine and told me if I still experienced the itchy rash I could take a benedryl at night. I guess I might be allergic to something in benedryl! You are probably wondering why I don't go back to the doctor? We have a doctor shortage where I live in Canada and unless it is an emergency it might be two weeks to see my doctor, and I don't want to bother the doctor with a skin itch, they are extremely busy and overworked. If anyone has this same condition with itchy red rash from the sun and has something that works, I would be glad to hear any suggestion. Thanks again!

Closed Thread