It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
(male)

Guy2307 HB User
Dust Mite Proof Bedding?.. Allergist?

Hey,

I won't go into great detail, but i've had problems with dry, tired, sore eyes.. I've been told I appear to have posterior blepharitis. No treatment seems to help, however I've noticed it often feels worse when I wake up, I wake up with a slight runny nose. I really am desperate to find a cause to my eye problems and think investigating dust mite allergies would be worthwhile.

But what would sufferers recommend I do?, is it worth going to an allergist to see if its a problem? or just go straight for buying dust mite proof bedding?

With the bedding i'm unsure what you're meant to buy. Are you meant to get dust mite proof dovets & pillows plus covers to put over those, or do you generally get dust proof dovets/pillows OR covers for your existing non-allergy-proof dovets/pillows?

Thanks

Last edited by Guy2307; 08-07-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Dust Mite Proof Bedding?.. Allergist?

I would try a benedryl at bedtime and see if that helps. If it does, the dust mites are most likely the culprit. It's a cheap thing to try as the bagging for the pillows, mattress, etc can get costly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It's probably worth trying to see an allergist to figure out what you're actually allergic to so that you can really focus on reducing your exposure to those things.

If you do decide to try allergy proofing your bedding there are 4 main things you should do.

First, get an allergy proof mattress cover and encase your mattress (it goes under the sheets so once it's on you only need to remove it and wash it in hot water a couple of times a year).

Second, encase all of your pillows with allergy proof covers (again, they go under the pillow cases so they only need to be removed and washed in hot water a couple of times a year).

Third, cover you duvet with an allergy proof cover.

Finally, wash the rest of your bedding in the hottest water possible every week (and dust/vacuum the room weekly).

You might also consider a room-sized HEPA filter for the bedroom to help cut down on dust and airborne particles.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

any idea what the humidity level is in your room? I have dry eyes and my morning symptoms are alleviated by running a humidifier

Old 08-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
(male)

frodosfeet HB User

I'm allergic to dust mites, among other things. Seeing an allergist is one of the best things I've ever done. I take allergy shots and they help a lot. The allergist also recommended a dust mite matress cover and pillow case covers--these help and reduce my snoring for a better night's sleep. My asthma has also improved. I encourage doing both see an allergist and buy the covers for your bed.

Closed Thread