It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
(male)

IlliniHimey HB User
Help!!!!! My 3 year old has horrible allergies

With each passing day I am becoming more and more pained. It is getting to a point where I don't want my son to play outside, simply because he suffers so at bed time.

My son Logan is 3 years old. A beautiful, happy little boy. We have noticed over the last 1 1/2 years that he has developed allergies to so many things. Knock on wood, we have not seen anything in terms of food allergies.

We had him tested, and he was highly allergic to mold, pollen, ragweed, and dogs.

It does not seem to matter what the allergy counts are outside. If our son plays outside for even 10 minutes, he is wheezing later at bed time, and he spends the better part of the night coughing his brains out. He coughs so hard, and the cough is so incredibly congested.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Help!!!!! My 3 year old has horrible allergies

You say that:

Quote:
If our son plays outside for even 10 minutes, he is wheezing later at bed time, and he spends the better part of the night coughing his brains out. He coughs so hard, and the cough is so incredibly congested.
That sounds more like asthma than allergies (or a combination of both), so you should make an appointment with pediatric pulmonologist right away. If he is wheezing and coughing he absolutely needs to be on a treatment plan for both the allergies and the asthma.

For his allergies both Zyrtec and Claritin are antihistamines that come in liquids for kids as young as 2 years old, and should help minimize his allergic reactions.

But again, if he's wheezing and coughing he really should be seen by a pediatric pulmonologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I second that. Also be sure he takes a bath and washes his hair before bed. You might also try a children's benedryl at bedtime.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Most definately get him seen by a doctor and get him on a plan. Like Benadryl and an inhaler or whatever the doc tells you. He should not have to suffer like this. This is the WORST time of year for allergies. From now until late Oct when the cut crops down (Which is horrific for me) he may suffer. At least until a good frost. I don't know where you live. I am allergic to about 30 things...everything green outside, dust mites, mold, cats and dogs you name it! I have to get allergy shots, allegra, sudefed or Benadryl. Unless I do the combo I am miserable. I had skipped shots this year and I am completely miserable and will be starting them again this upcoming week.

Try to limit his time outside and keep your house as clean as possible. My step son who is 11 has asthma and allergies. We have an air purifier going in his room. His mattress is covered with a special allergy protector. It does cut back on things but I have to constantly get on his about taking his Benadryl in the morning and before bed. We all hate it because it makes us sleepy. I take it too. I feel for your little guy. He is not suffering alone. Sometimes I wanna cry because I am so miserable.

Just get him on a little plan and he will be fine and his symptoms will subside. Hang in there!

Last edited by TEdds83; 08-16-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
(male)

jmillerjdc HB User

try using a humidifier at night time and using a nebulizer with a sea salt and distilled water solution 2 x a day for 15-30 minutes. the solution is 1-cup water and 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt.i dont like the effects of prescriptions so i try to use more natural solutions. my 2 boys were prescrbed singular and both became enraged.also bee pollen is good ,but make sure your child is not allergic to it first.i hope you find this info helpful and your child finds some relief.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
(female)

sunshinemommy23 HB User

I agree with the pps. It sounds like your DS has asthma, too. Does he use any controller meds for his asthma (like singulair, pulmicort, flovent, etc.)?? At that age, we had good results with the combo of singulair and pulmicort for the neb. What allergy meds is he using? Have you tried a nasal steroid spray for the congestion? (Again, my children were using nasal steroid sprays at that age.)

You mentioned that he was tested. Did a pediatric allergist test him? If so, have you discussed the wheezing with him? We did see a pedi-pulmonologist like the pp mentioned; however, I always felt like it was duplication of services to have both an allergist and a pedi-pulmo. If you can find a good pedi-allergist, he should be able to treat both the asthma and allergies.

One last thing you could consider is allergy shots. Our DD started shots at 2 and had amazing improvement in her asthma symptoms. DS started at 5 and has had similiar results. They're 8 and 10 now and are still on shots. DD is 2 years into her 2nd round. She should be finished around age 10. DS just started his 2nd round; therefore, he has at least 4 more years. However, we may stop early on DS if he continues to do so well.

GL. HTH.

Closed Thread