It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Allergic To Cranberry?

I had my first visit with a naturopathic physician yesterday who detected a trace of protein in my urine and wanted me to start drinking unsweetened cranberry juice.

It has been years since I have drank any fruit juice or eaten raw fruit due to having a sensitivity in my stomach to the acid in it but thought it should be fine.

I took my first glass of the juice tonight and am feeling awful! First of all, it burned going down on my tongue and in my glands, I am burping and have heart burn which antacids are not helping at all. I have a bad stomach ache and am starting to itch all over.

Could this be an allergy to cranberries? There are no additives or preservatives in this drink. Will not be able to get ahold of the doctor until at least Tuesday as their office is closed now.

Thanks!

Lindaru

Old 08-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: Allergic To Cranberry?

I've done a light salt water swish and swallow to neutralize acid from tomatoes, not sure if this would work for you or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Drs . . . thank you for the advice but this went from bad to worse, so it makes me sure I am allergic. I broke out in a rash, started sneezing and coughing (excessive mucus), got nausea and had diarrhea all night long.

Something tells me there is something else in there besides the acid that is affecting me.

Does anyone know of an alternative to cranberry for urinary tract health?

Thanks.

Lindaru

Old 08-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Honey and cinnamon tea is suppose to be good for bladder infections, I'm not sure on the urinary tract. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.

2Tbls. of cinnamon powder and 1teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it, it's suppose to destroy the germs in the bladder.

My guess is if you don't use quite as much of the cinnamon it might help maintain the urinary tract. Two Tbls. of cinn. is a lot, it doesn't dissolve either, you have to keep stirring it up all the time before taking a sip.

Also if you can find honey that is from your area it's the best kind. I hope your not allergic to honey! That wouldn't be good.

I'll looking in other things that may help, or someone else may have a suggestion. Diana

P.S. I found some but I have to leave right now, I'll try and post back when I get home. Huggs. Diana

Last edited by drs; 08-24-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added information

Old 08-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

I absolutely do love honey and cinnamon . . . no problems with those. I think maybe what might help the cinnamon (as I sometimes put it on cream of wheat) is to mix it with a bit of hot water, convert into a paste and then add the water and honey. You might want to try that so you do not have to stir it all of the time. Let me know if that works.

If my internet research this morning was correct, Bromelain is the main ingredient in cranberry that helps with urinary tract? They take extract of pineapple and papaya where it is also found and make chewable tablets from that which I know are available at my local pharmacy.

Lindaru

Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, lindaru you found some things to try, that's great!

On the cinnamon, I've never seen it really dissolve in liquids. Seems no matter what it still floats to the top and sides. I thought of combining the honey and cinnamon first, like you said to make a paste, haven't tried that yet as I'm on a low sugar diet, I get to have a natural sweet once a day, I usually go with something else to choose from.

This is what I found, just to give you a few more choices for your problem.

Uva Ursi, the active ingredient arbutin breaks down in the kidneys and has antisepitic properties. It also has tannins. People with kidneydisease, liver disease, are pregnant or children should not take this stuff.
Don't take large amounts for a long time either. Just as needed.

Some other natural remedies I found were:

In the herb family there are:
Goldenseal
Marshmellow Root
Buchu
Corn Silk
Horsetail

Homeopathic remedies are:
Cantharis if you have sharp burning pain, and an intense urge to urinate.
Staphysagria is for if you have...continual burning, result of sexual intercourse.

Hope you find one of these best suited for you.
Diana

Old 08-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Thank you, Diana. That was a lot of research on your part! Thanks again!

Fortunately, I am having absolutely no urinary symptoms whatsoever. I have since found out that a trace of protein in the urine may be perfectly normal, so I am not as alarmed about it as I was.

Just to be careful though, I will try Bromelain first and then the other herbal remedies you suggested. They had me taking my blood sugars thinking it might be the start of diabetes (am 51 now and was diagnosed hypoglycemic at age 16). I have controlled it my whole life through diet only and fasting blood sugars the last two days have been well within normal range.

I do take Tylenol 1,500 milligrams spread out over the day for long term pain management, so am hoping I have not done anything bad there.

I have had Goldenseal before and that will be the next one I will try if Bromelain does not improve it.

Take care!

Lindaru

Old 08-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your welcome Lindaru,
I'm glad your not having any problem in your Ur. Tract.

I've never had an infection, but I had a time in my life where I couldn't go, then when I could finally go, my bladder didn't contract and empty the bladder all the way, had to wear a cath bag for two weeks and take meds that spaz the bladder in to a contraction. No fun! I was very lucky they said that my kidneys didn't infect, as the urine was backing up in them because the urine had no place to go.

Found out your suppose to empty your bladder at least every 2hrs for a healthy person, they wanted me to empty every hour and a half, kind of hard to do when your working. I'm find now, this was a few years back. Diana

Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Oh, Diana . . . that sounds awful! I hope you never have that happen to you again.

Blood sugars have been normal, so I suspect that trace of urine was an anomaly. I had emptied my bladder just before going into the appointment Friday and had to force some out for the test. Thinking that could have caused it to be off.

Do take care. I think when I am home, I do average every two hours. I drink at least 80 ounces of fluid (no carbonation, no alcohol ever) a day which is what makes me go so often.

Thank you again for all of your help and suggestions. Stay well!

Lindaru

Old 08-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm thankful every time I can go with a good flow. lol
You take care too!

Closed Thread