It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 05:48 AM   #1
(male)

seanfreel HB User
what are the causes of a raw and sore tongue

what are the causes of a raw and sore tongue

Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Re: what are the causes of a raw and sore tongue

I believe that the common suspects are thrush (white looking yeast infection), gingivitus, bacterial or viral infections, and autoimmune disorders.

It could also be irritation from a broken tooth or filling, or from something you ate, such as caramel popcorn, hard candy, or sucking on lozenges. If you ate something that got stuck in your teeth, you might use your tongue to try to get it out, without even thinking about it.

I got three really bad mouth infections in one year. It started with an irritated tongue, and then I got mouth sores on the sides and back of my mouth. I couldn't even talk with the last two. I never got a definitive answer as to what caused it. They even tested me for Lupus. It was a particularly stressful year for me at work, and I haven't had another one since I quit that job. Maybe it was something in the building, or the stress lowered my resistance.

One of the infections started after I used a tongue scraper. I suspect that I was already getting a sinus infection. I think the tongue scraper released bacteria (or whatever it was) into my mouth and my whole system. I'll never use a tongue scraper again.

With one, the doctor gave me Diflucan (for yeast), which made me very sick all over. The mouth got much worse, my throat closed up, and my digestive system went berserk. My heart was racing so fast, I thought I'd pass out. I don't think I ever felt worse. I don't know if it was an allergic reaction per se, but Diflucan is listed in my medical charts as something I'm allergic to.

The doctor gave me a topical lotion that numbed my mouth, and it reduced the pain until it went away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
(female)

Blossom27 HB User

Like LucyLucy my first reaction is oral thrush, have you had a course of antibiotics recently as they cause thrush, in that case go back to your doctor who should give you something for it. There a two options the first is a liquid which you put into your mouth and hold it there for a set number of minutes and is taken about 4 times a day. The second option is the tablet that LucyLucy got that takes 72 hours to work. If it is not thrush then you need to see your dentist so that he can see what is wrong.
Good luck and let us know how you get on..

Old 09-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

some times geographic tongue can cause a sore tongue

Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

My "geographic tongue" was caused by a wheat allergy. When I eat wheat crackers, the little bumps on my tongue come off, leaving what looks like burn marks, and they are sometimes very sensitive.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
(female)

mtngal HB User

What can cause a small white sore that looks like a circular little white ring on the side of the tongue? It was really sore at first but now is only half as sore but still bothersome. I have been taking probiotics and lysine that has worked with little tongue ulcers that look like white spots and they worked fine. However, this white line thing is taking longer. It does not spread and no other part of the tongue is affected. Anyone have ideas.
? I am not on antibiotics right now.I am basically a very healthy and active person even though I am 71.
Mtngal

Closed Thread