It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

livelifelarge24 HB User
Sulfa allergies and wine

I am allergic to sulfa drugs and therefore have been told to stay away from red wine.... While drinking white wine last night I noticed the bottle said that it contains sulfites...what is the difference and does that mean that I'm allergic to white wine as well?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Sulfa allergies and wine

i don't seem to have any issues with the wines. I have more issues with red wines reacting to my hiatal hernia. I do however have some flushing with wines. Especially on a empty stomach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Without getting technical about the chemistry, forget what you were told. Sulfites (present in wines and other foods as a preservative) and sulfa drugs are not the same. You can be allergic to one and not the other or both but they are independent of each other. I am a "wine snob." I'm also very allergic to sulfa drugs. I have no problems with any wines.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I too have a Sulfa allergy, but I am not allergic to wine. Sulfa and sulfites are not the same thing.

I will tell you that wine is a major trigger of acid reflux for me. When my reflux flares up, I tend to have respiratory problems. That isn't the same as an allergy though.

Closed Thread