I am allergic to sulfa drugs and therefore have been told to stay away from red wine.... While drinking white wine last night I noticed the bottle said that it contains sulfites...what is the difference and does that mean that I'm allergic to white wine as well?
Without getting technical about the chemistry, forget what you were told. Sulfites (present in wines and other foods as a preservative) and sulfa drugs are not the same. You can be allergic to one and not the other or both but they are independent of each other. I am a "wine snob." I'm also very allergic to sulfa drugs. I have no problems with any wines.