Originally Posted by c000113
My daughter was recently checked for allergies and was found to be allergic to beef and milk. This came as a surprise as she eats beef and drinks milk all the time and has no reactions whatsoever. Could there be reactions that we cannot see? This is very distressing as she has severe allergic reactions to eggs and nuts and was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. Should she stop eating beef and drinking milk? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
There should be a +/- number associated with the allergen report that tells the serverity of the allergic reaction. For instance, you may be allergic to milk with a serverity of a +3 and only notice a running nose when you eat milk. But if you have a severity of say +15 to peanuts, you may go into Anaphylactic Shock. Which can kill you if not treated within several minutes of the reaction. Anaphylactic Shock includes trouble breathing, rash, closing of the throat, swelling of the tongue, blue skin etc....
People that have been tested and have a higher severity level to certain things are given a EpiPen which contains epinephrine/adrenaline. If they see signs of anaphlactic shock, they or someone with them have to stick the EpiPen in their leg and inject the adrenaline. This is life saving in many cases.
If she has Celiac disease and the DR says she is allergic to milk and beef, I would stay away from it. You want to keep her immune system fully intact and eating foods that may trigger an allergic response is not good.
So it sounds like no eggs, no nuts, no beef, no wheat/gluten. Does anyone else in your family have Celiac disease? It is hereditary they say. Here is a good site [url]http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/[/url] that may help.