I had an unpleasant reaction after eating some pieces of carrot yesterday. I chopped two large carrots for soup, and ate some pieces as I was chopping. The first carrot tasted really good. The second didn't taste great. It was a little bitter, but I was hungry and ate almost half of it. After a while I noticed my mouth felt strange. My tongue felt a little numb. Today I ate some of the soup I made last night. After eating a little, I bit into a large piece of carrot. Almost immediately my tongue started to feel *****ly. Now it still feels numb and the back of my throat feels irritated. (The soup wasn't hot, and didn't contain any spices I don't usually use.) I took a Benadryl just in case it's an allergic reaction, but it still feels the same after an hour.
I like carrots, and eat them all the time, so I hope I'm not developing an allergy to it.
Could it be due to some contamination or pesticide on the carrots? Or do carrots produce some chemical as they get old? Both carrots were in the same bag purchased less than a week ago.
I am interested if you have learned anything more about your reaction to carrots. I get a similar reaction, but it has progressed to where my tongue feels like it is burning. I read somewhere that carrots have citric acid in them. I don't know if this is true or not. I do know if I eat fruit, I get a similar response, but it could be another component.
Eggplant definitely makes my stomach burn, but it is somewhat different than an acid reflux burning feeling. It seems to cause my mouth, lips, etc. to tingle in an unpleasant way and makes my gums itchy. I'm not sure if that is because I've always cooked eggplant with olive oil. I have a bad reaction to all fruit - get dermatitis, itchy, acid-like feeling, fatigue, red colored rash on face, suddenly dry skin, etc. I'd never pieced together before that olive's are a fruit, too. Duh! I can not eat garlic, onions, peppers, tomatoes. I'm still figuring other stuff out. Many of these are called nightshade vegetables. I've read that many people can not eat these foods.
What I would do...Buy a new bag of carrots, maybe organic. Then try one or two to see if you have the same reaction. It sounds like chemicals to me-but I'm not an expert Unfortunately you will have to do a little more testing to figure this one out.